What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Scale insects

DIGITALHIPPY

Veteran
stoned2death-

im ventureing to say that thoes other people posted pics of REAL SCALE's so u can see that you abviousely have a lignifying stem. as they get old they lignify or turn into a type of wood. part is structure to hold the weight of the plant.

unless you think i have scales aswell and how they form nice even rows right along the stems.

your plant looks ok dude. mj's trunk or main stems does that rough texture thing. and i noticed it happens after 8-10 weeks and on especialy big/large plants. i think ur trippin on somthing theres no scales.

G

There's no tripping going on here dude. I know exactly what you're talking about, but that doesn't accompany all the damage across the entire plant. I fought these bastards for over four years. I'm positive that it was scale.

If it wasn't a pest, it wouldn't have improved with ANY treatment, but it did, and that is already documented above.

If you are trying to help, I wouldn't start by telling people they are "trippin".

This is a lignifying stem?? Who's trippin?

1452IMG_1500.jpg

MynameStitch

Dr. Doolittle
Mentor
Veteran
Dude this is defiantly a first for me; never seen this issue; but the thread is awsome in explaining about the situation; defiantly thanks to stoned2death for this :yes:

It really sucked you had this problem; but now think about how many other people you will help out because you took the time in posting this info and detailed pictures......

G

Thanks Stitch! This is probably one of the worst pests. The larger variety that medved has are at least easy to see. I'm afraid the ones I had you will only ever see a sack like the one above and the scaly shit on the stems. The crawlers are microscopic, but the damage they do is very apparent.

G

That is totally beyond me. I suspect they rode in on clothing or something. They plagued me right from the get go and took me ages to pin down wtf it was. I think they are related to pine scale because that's the closest looking thing, and there's plenty of pine in this area...It would also explain why they were so much more voracious on the woody stemmed plants.

Medved

here are a few more pictures about this ****in parasites.

23447kapar12.JPG

23447kapar1.JPG

and I found some amber near this scale insects. Is it possible that this amber is from scale insects? it's like glue.

2 more pics

23447amber.JPG

23447amber1.JPG

have a pleasent night everybody

:rasta:

G

Yup, very possible that is from the scale. Just like aphids, the scale produce a substance that ants like to "farm" them for. I can see some on the stem too. In my case I guess I was a tad luckier because it seemed as the resin built up on the plant, the tiny ones can't get around as easy. The resin production actually helped contain them away from certain areas on my plant.

I feel sorry for ANYONE that runs across this. You thought spider mites were tough? Hah, these suckers create their own shell that's like a tank!!

G

Yeah, most of the visible sized scale like that are UGLY AS ****!! You wonder where they get the idea for creatures in horror films? It's always some odd insect we hardly here of like these suckers! They just make em lifed size and the horror is automatically built right in....freaky bastards! :laughing:

DIGITALHIPPY

Veteran

i just dont see the relation.
one of my first gueses is that it came from here

but isnt that gone u said?
wait... is THIS the ravaged plant?

this looks lignified to me f---o

DIGITALHIPPY

Veteran
you have 58 pages of pictures, too much for me to look through, but i didnt see anything that you describe as a ravaged plant. i just see phat nugs...
not saying that bizzar white cirlce looking thing isnt a bug, it looks like a miniture snail shell to me, way more then a scale. not somthing you would want either...

im hoping u could show more/better pics of the 'other' scales ravaging things.

MynameStitch

Dr. Doolittle
Mentor
Veteran
LOL!!!!! the smallest of creatures.... if one person gets a thought to make them like you said and it's already built right in LOL.

FUnny how the human mind works!

G

Digital hippy. Do you see the round white shell with the hole in it? That's from scale.

There is one pictured above that was removed from the plant and is photographed on a bucket lid. Take a look at all the pictures again:

1452IMG_1258.jpg

The damage from the crawler stage:

1452IMG_1343.JPG

I have another pic of one of these somewhere where you can clearly see the damage into the stem:
1452IMG_1216.jpg

Trust me, I've rubbed these suckers off and squished them by the thousands. They are NOT part of the plant. These are two totally different kinds of scale insect.

1452IMG_2886.jpg

This damage slows down or HALTS when using some type of control. Ladybugs slowed it down, leaf damage went away, white bumps STOPPED spreading. Pyrethrin spray did the same thing, but neither completely wiped them out. I had these on four different mothers and through about four or five grows on different strains. ****O.

EDIT: Wanted to add that the hornets nest you see is in my new home, not where all these plants were grown. All of my mothers are gone, and I have a new crop of stuff coming up, and guess what? NO SCALE at all!!! No black spots, no leaf damage, no white bumps, none of it. Also, those bumps you see are not in uniform rows near the base of the plant. They COVERED the plant head to toe. After FOUR YEARS of dealing with it I am VERY clear on the difference...thanks!

Last edited:
damn...i think i might have that shit...i saw some shit on the bottom of my main stem and a couple other lower stems. i had no idea what they were...so i searched for stem pests and found this thread. i took a picture of that shit...i'll post it tomorrow

ladford

Did you ever figure out exactly what type of armored scale this is?
I am dealing with the same scales and they are horrible. Yes these are real
And wreak havoc