What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

satelite internet??????

I

idoreallytry

is it any good,,,complaints,,praises all advice on them would be appreciated,,i read tons of reviews but would like to see what some of u all think that have it,,,i dont game, just surf,,,and email,,but i dont wanna have to log off every time it rains or snows,,,does the weather affect these like it does ur directv and dish network?,,,thanks all,,,peace

pearlemae

May your race always be in your favor
Veteran
Sometimes good,, some times bad sometimes slower than death, other times just great thats Hughes net. My bro had it, he had no other option so for him it was his only resort. Some days slower than the slowest dial up you ever saw, other days blazing fast. Its a crap shoot. as far as I could see. yes weather does the same a direct tv.

BudToker

Veteran
Yes "bad" weather has an adverse affect on the satellite connection. I would recommend that you steer clear of satellite internet if you have other options. It is also quite simple to eavesdrop on those types of internet connections!

good luck,

-BT :smokeit:

I

idoreallytry

thx guys i read all the reviews online and they all say the same shit so i imagine it sucks lol,,,yeah the place we want only has satelite internet available,,well thx hope its jsut not that bad,,i might be stuck with it lol,,,peace

jd4083

Veteran
Besides the aforementioned problems with weather, the latency of a typical satellite connection (i.e. the time in milliseconds that it takes to "ping" that satellite in space and receive a response) is so high that it can't really be used for a lot of things...such as online gaming or streaming video. Plus, the service is always outrageously expensive, usually at least twice as much as the same speed DSL or even fiber connection depending on where you're at. Overall not worth the money at all.

kstampy

Check out the new 4G wireless net from Sprint and Verizon. They're supposedly good enough to game on which needs constant streaming without bumps to work. The problem with satellite is the latency issue, you type in a website it has to send that all the way out to space and back once it has the info so there's lag issues. If you are only wanting to download large files then it's OK but otherwise I think I would stick with dial up (which is horrible) in comparison since my experience with the satellite was bad.