What's new

Sammet's Sensational Sensimilla Shindig

Ryu

Yo Yo Yo, looking fantastic dude, that n def ain't that bad.

Finally broke the bank and ordered the dslr i've been twitching over for the last few months. Got some serious growing into it to enjoy. May even start a lil thread if the learning curve isn't too steep.

Absolutely gagging for a macro lens already, meh. Going to be a long while before the dream of a nice vape comes my way now. Gadgets over health? :)

Regarding the last smattering of budshots above, you still using the tungsten WB setting to counter the HPS orange or is every image tweaked in Photoshop if taken under HPS?

Cheers muchly!

Sammet

Med grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey Ryu - aye, I over ferted the BB cheese so cut back a bit, and thought it might be better to underfeed than overfeed with all the new strains. The Black Jack is a monster though, she's easily the biggest in my tent and takes up almost a 1/4 of the space so it's no wonder she's lacking a bit of N. Which SLR did you choose, Canon? Nikon?

As for the above shots - I used the manual mode (ISO100, white balance= auto, speed 200) but with auto white balance. With the tungsten white balance on I've been getting funny results in photoshop, so I decided to just use auto and it's sorted it. I take the shots in RAW format and then import them into photoshop. You then can adjust clarity, contrast, exposure, lighting but the best thing is the temperature slider/white balancer. It can be used to remove the orange hps and restore the original colour of the plants by selecting known white and black sources in the photo. As it so happens, my pots are black, and my tent poles are white so provide great reference points for photoshop to auto remove the orange.

(However, you can't use the flash with the above technique as it will make your plants appear blue, so you sacrifice the shine/reflection from the trichomes and photos will never look quite as frosty. That's why I always take them out of the tent for a final shot with the flash on before they get the chop.)

I'll post up a before and after shot next update so you can see a with and without hps orange. Hope that helps mate :wave:

Dr Dog

Sharks have a week dedicated to me
Veteran
Awesome shots brother

I love the way your shots come out, but I am way too lazy to be messing around with RAW format, I much prefer to leave them on hi res jpeg and reduce them, when I crop them.

Thanks for the props in T's thread, made my day bro

Sammet

Med grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
:D no worries DD - you've always got some of the frostiest bud around (and now TML :wink:).

Ryu

Sammet, can you possibly post a small example of what you got when photoshop messed with the tungsten also?

Been experimenting with a friends nikon d60 and got some even settings but no computer over there.

I got the canon 450D + IS 18-55mm stock lens, arrived today. Charging now :)

TML16

Snow Grower ~OGA~
Veteran
Well shucks :redface: Thanks eh :smile:

Sounds like alot of effort goes into your photos. I have to agree with all that I love the way they come out :yes:

It's convenient in a multi-strain grow when all the girls follow a feeding regimen. Sometimes you always have the picky one though :biglaugh: All the bud leaves are still nice and green, a gardener with your skills is on top of any situation I'm sure.

Pics are great :lurk: Thanks for the show!

Sammet

Med grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Cheers Zeus - she's a great lady, I'll try and get some shots of the trichs on the leaves - they look like tiger stripes :)

Ryu - A mate of mine has that camera and it's really good. I use the stock 18-55mm lens that came with my nikon to take all the photos you've seen. I'll post up some shots later with all the different settings on/off. Enjoy that new camera :wave:

TML - thanks buddy. Yea the girls have all done pretty well and it's kind of a good problem too have some that are hungry for more :D I just hope I don't over-do it trying to green them back up and burn them out. Catch you around man

Sammet

Med grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Camera stuff + photoshop

Camera stuff + photoshop

Hi everyone - this is mostly for Ryu's benefit but if anyone else has some questions/comments feel free to chime in.

I use a Nikon D40x SLR with stock 18-55mm lens and take photos at ISO100, speed 200. Photos are converted from RAW and processed using Adobe Photoshop CS3 v.10.1.

Like most people I hate the orange glow of the HPS and being a photography nut I use photoshop lots for post-processing my photos. After finding Nitetigers guide to removing orange hps glow from photos, I started removing the glow from my photos.

http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=24296

Previously I relied on the inbuilt white balance of the camera to help remove the orange, by selecting the tungsten or light bulb setting. But using the above method in photoshop was giving me weird blue false colours with the tungsten setting - so I went back to auto and it seems better.

This technique does remove the orange BUT it comes at a price. If you try to use the flash with this method it will make all your buds appear blue - so no more frosty flash shots - what you see is what you actually see.

Ryu asked me for an example so here are 2 sets (one auto, one tungsten/lightbulb setting) of shots (showing original and hps orange removed)

Auto setting

Tungsten/Light bulb setting

As you can see - there's a blue halo around the cfl with the tungsten setting on and this is why I don't use this setting. It means that any plants under the cfl have a blue tint applied to them and therefore renders the photos useless.

(with your canon Ryu you might find that the opposite is true and you get truer colour with your tungsten setting on and using the above method - if you choose to use photoshop that is :smoke:)

Phew - time to fire up the volcano.

(5 minutes later)

Here's a better example of the removal of HPS orange from a photo and why flashing doesn't work with this technique.

On the left is the original, the middle is HPS orange removed, and the right is one with flash.

As you can see - the white bars of the tent appear white in the middle photo - they're my reference point for white - I use the black pots for black and photoshop does the rest.

But the right-hand photo taken with the flash looks false coloured as it still has hps orange in it but the buds have taken on a blueish tint. It does make them appear more visible though, which is why a lot of people use the flash. And you get nice shiny sparkly frostiness too rather than a flat whitish colour from normal shots.

I hope that helps Ryu and you enjoy that new camera :wave:

One more thing - photoshop is a handy tool for cropping, zooming, sharpening and without it my photos wouldn't look as good as they do. I'm not advocating digitally falsifying photos, I'm simply trying to portray as realistic photos as I can without lugging my girls upstairs and out into the open. I see photoshop as just a digital darkroom in the age DSLRs and I recommend anyone who is serious about photography to find themselves a copy (it is costly, although if you pm me I might be able to suggest an alternative)- or use GIMP (it's a free program)

Here's the original photo, followed by photoshopped zoom + sharpening.

C4C99

And then just some CH9 flower macros to finish everything off because she's the frostiest girl in the whole of Sammet land and CH9 deserves the kudos

:eek:

Last edited:

TML16

Snow Grower ~OGA~
Veteran
Great suggestions and tutorial :yes:

I don't use photoshop myself (too complicated :pointlaug ) but great display of comparisons. I'm sure your help will aid many :respect:

I just like lookin at the tasty flower pics too :yummy:

chubbynugs

Registered Pothead
Veteran
That flower strain looks interesting. I think i might need to grab a pack of those. Looking good as usual sammet.

E

EatShitake

Hey Sammet! :wave:

That Flower sure is looking tasty. Are you getting aromas from her? Could you describe it? Am I being inquisitive??? Luckily I'm not Spanish or there would be some sort of inquisition or something... :bashhead:

Looking really nice!

:joint: :joint: :joint:

Last edited:

Ryu

Sammet, perfect. Just what I needed.

Photoshop just stole my evening and my brain as a graphics designer buddy just gave me the 101, having trouble slowing down with all new info but shit me its powerful. Stunned on what I have been missing out on.

I seem to be getting the same blue glow from the cfl when altered but if I tinker with the auto exposure and the flash exposure as well as the tungsten on, it looks quite pleasing. Still different from your lush canopy shots but nice for close up bud shots.

Thanks a million dude, all your efforts are appreciated. :)

Sammet

Med grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks guys (Shitake - hard to describe, a kind of fruity-hashy-spicyness nothing I can really put my finger on. The C4C99 has hints of pineapple about her, the Williams is getting pretty Lemony, the ChemDog is kinda pinesol-y and the BlackJack has a very spicey smell too. Although these are just generalisations as other than the C4C99, which im pretty sure smells like pineapple, the others are very unusual smells to me :D)

As for my problem with the Nitrogen def.. I've been wondering for a why it hasn't been getting better faster and then I realised in my haste to correct the problem I've been making things worse by over-watering. I've now been leaving an extra day between waterings and the chemD/BlackJack are almost all green again now.

SiskoAnimated.gif

(Just goes to show I'm a noob, but I hide it well :wink: - update to come after the weekend)

N

NZjay

Sammet said:
:D no worries DD - you've always got some of the frostiest bud around (and now TML :wink:).

While i completly 100% agree with this statement, you are also on this list, my friend.
CH9 seem to be showing off some nice stuff. good on them. you got her looking beautiful.
im going through the same similar problems with N def. on my biggest in the bed. shes been in that soil for a LONG time, so i can totally understand. i cant expect that soil to lastforever without feeding anything. (the blaze styles)

its funny, but it seems if theres any nute/feeding problem to have, N seems to be them most forgiving. just like yours, the leaves are looking yellow but the buds are still rocking along quite nice so..............
Ahhhh dammit!
Cricinfo.com - the best cricket website EVA said:
31.2 Swann to Flynn, OUT, gone, superb bowling from Swann as he tosses this up on middle stump, Flynn drives and is beaten in the air...key breakthrough for England
DR Flynn b Swann 35 (54b 3x4 0x6) SR: 64.81

dammit! they were just starting to get going at a good rate too..
heh...
i like the Runrate lol.
cricinfo said:
Last 5 ovs 21/1 RR 4.20

heheh.. ;)

ahh well.. great camera info dude.
your pics are always top notch. certainly keeps me coming back mate.

We need a 50 from Oram...... lets go NEW ZEALAND! :)

edit: oh didnt read about the overwatering the N girl. lol.
thats funny coz i watered my girl with N probs one time when she didnt need it just to get more N soaking int he soil. i only have N enriched Bloodmeal, so i had to get it in there ... lol.
i was scared i was gonna over water her. lol. didnt though.

Last edited:

ZeusOGrefugee

Registered Medical Patient
Veteran
dude, you are far from a noob...trust all of us here!!!That CH9 girl looks fantabulous!!!Im convinced now that I shpould get some of those seeds...thanks for testing them for me!!!LOLJ/K...anyhow, all looks great dude, keep it up....Peace

- Z

jubbwa

set up

set up

hi sammet,
ive been watchin ur grows awesome!!!! ive been thinking about a similar set up and id like to know what size and capacity ur ruck fan is, and how heavy it is and if its noisy?

thanks

a fan

Latest posts

Latest posts