What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Salvaging tools and equipment

newGroath

Since cash flow is a little tight these days I've been considering salvaging the parts for my indoor grow room. A fan is top on my list right now so I was wondering if anyone had good ideas of appliances that I could get some decent to pretty powerful fans from .my room is 4x4x6 so it's not small but not to large either and I would like to pull the air through a scrubber

atk7

Try a bathroom exhaust fan. you can find them cheap at reuse stores or in dumpsters by home sites being demo'd . That is what I ended up using and it has worked out great for me.

stoney917

i Am SoFaKiNg WeTod DiD
Veteran
What's ur budget like .... r u looking for free, or cheap???
Check out swap meets flee markets etc etc,.. really with ur room size i figure u want a 600w light 6in vented hood with a 6in can fan... i bet u find the whole bunch for 100 bucks or less... also some very important advice for u... take this seriously DONT BUY A USED FILTER. DONT GO AS CHEAP AS POSSIBLE on ur filter... STICK WITH CAN PHRESH ....

newGroath

Thank you, I'm going to mess around with some cfls for my first time through and probably will only let the girls get 3 feet tall.

As cheap as possible rn but mostly free is what I'm looking for . I'm definetly going to consider the bathroom vent , I think there's one around here . And I'm going to try and make one of the diy carbon scrubs on Pontiac's list.

I have an old space heater I wonder if that'll have a nice fan in it?

stoney917

i Am SoFaKiNg WeTod DiD
Veteran
R u growing legal??? Even being legal i would never trust diy odor control. Ud be surprised how much one plant can stink up an area... being from the east coast odor control was instilled as a top priority. ...
Best of luck mang.. Just remember u get what ya put in out at the end...

newGroath

Same coast as you Stoney , well hopefully I can keep them bonsai and in veg till this gets sorted out. Much to do much to do. Thanks for the wise words

badmf

A good fan has higher cfm's than a fart fan and may cost but will pay for itself quickly. Find a bloke shutting down his grow and get a fan cheaper. The ducting run should have no kinks and little bends to lessen friction. Remember to add a screen to prevent crawlies and flyers. Peace Bad...

vostok

Veteran
your 16 sqft is tiny to small round here, why salvage anything, better to improve what you got, just avoid using any filter when wet, as it will block up, yeah bathroom fan is good

Dready_jake

R u growing legal??? Even being legal i would never trust diy odor control. Ud be surprised how much one plant can stink up an area... being from the east coast odor control was instilled as a top priority. ...
Best of luck mang.. Just remember u get what ya put in out at the end...

I would agree salvage and keep it cheap where you can but ventilation and air scrubbing is not somewhere you can.
Drop the money on that and you won't be running into issues like you might otherwise. Security, heat, air movement. Would all be better if you went with tailored parts for grows, at least on that front.

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
It is not that hard to build a carbon filter. And it will work the same as a store bought if built correctly. Its activated carbon either way. Some fine mesh, a metal wastebasket, some tin snips and a drill. Use a T-shirt for a prefilter. Easy peasy.

Good luck! Engineer that bitch! :)

prune

Veteran
I remember the guy who decided to save some money on a fan by welding a few pieces of scrap metal to a old washing machine motor. Started it up and became a dead human pin-cushion.

Maybe an extreme example, but i learned that sometimes it doesn't pay to cut corners.

Latest posts

Latest posts