What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Saibai Outdoor 2013/14

Saibai

栽培して収穫しましょう!
Veteran
Hash (Bought, not made by myself)
299017tg89uj0i.JPG

Good morning!
29901topofthemornin.JPG

Local wildflowers
29901DSC98yo8uyoiuoiuoiuijuF15711.JPG

Breakfast of champions. Note the dreaded green patch.
299014869d57f8-90.JPG

Saibai

栽培して収穫しましょう!
Veteran
Ninja gumboots, good for getting to mountain plots.
29901456s758p_yh.JPG

2990187tgg.JPG

Hashberry
29901ydytytfuyi.JPG

29901907867hgreers.JPG

Early Zamal
29901zamaltrimmed.JPG

Saibai

栽培して収穫しましょう!
Veteran
Dried buds look good mate!

Thanks mate.

Well, interesting times for the 7 little ones...was planning on having them at their current spot for at least another 2 weeks before transplanting pots and moving out to their final location. Would have like to have done some LST, or at least top some.

As it happens, had to move them out of their current spot early, with 24 hours notice. Got 4 big pots (not sure size in litres, but I think they're 550mm across) and 3 smaller ones, just under 500mm. Big ones are better, but only came in black...not ideal for the extremely hot place they'll be staying for the rest of veg and flower. Bought about 240L or so of soil and amendments - 3 different types of premium organic soil mix, blood & bone, dolomite lime, organic compost mix, mulch and water crystals and will also re-use the 15L or so of soil/vermiculite mix that the plants are currently in.

They'll be repotted this week, in the newly amended soil with a teaspoon or two of water crystals about a 1/3 of the way up in each big pot. Then mulch all over the top of the soil, and wet thoroughly. Then a good spray of neem.

Have been germing the new round of seeds, so far 2 Satori, 1 C99 and 1 Black Domina x Cheese have shown. These along with the 5 other seeds in jiffy pots will go into the smaller pots that currently hold the 1st round of plants. These will probably be just straight soil with no amendments.

As for the plants themselves, sorry no time to take pics (barely enough time to organize the move and new soil etc - not much sleep for me today before night shift tonight :()
3 of the 4 Satori are going great, very very thick stems and good health/vigour. Already starting to smell great. One looks like it's starting to show some hairs...too early to be sure though. The fourth one is a bit behind the others. They all show mild leaf damage.
The 2 C99 aren't too far behind the Sats, looking good.
The lone Aurora Indica is half to a quarter the size of the others, this one is looking mongy...looks like it topped itself, has split into two main shoots and is branching sideways. Might not end up with much heavy indica goodness at harvest at all. Nirvana have been OK in the past, but these AI fems are pretty crappy so far...not very good germ rates, one that did germ died and the only survivor so far is looking shite...

S

Sat X RB

your plants look alright to me, Saibai. it IS early in the season yet. and BLUE zigzags are the go ... they burn slower ...

Saibai

栽培して収穫しましょう!
Veteran
Hey fellas (and we are mostly fellas, aren't we? :) )...

Update: The 7 plants I had going were repotted and are at a location about 3 hours drive away from me. I hear that 6 out of the 9 seeds I germed in the 2nd round have sprouted - at the time I had them it was 2/4 Satori, 1 C99 and the Black Domina x Cheese...dunno which others cracked as the newly germed ones got mixed up (!), but I should be able to tell which are which from smell, looks etc. Newly germed ones have gone into the smaller pots the others had been inhabiting.

Kangaroos are apparently a problem there...the big plants got surrounded on all sides by cage/fence, even over the top of them (I hear the Satoris have hit the top and are bending over and growing sideways). I was worried about not enough water as no-one could get to them for a week or so...and then we get the rain we've been having in SE QLD. :laughing:

This is a semi-guerrilla grow. I say so because they are remote and I have to spend long periods away from them, but it's not a true guerrilla situation. The most TLC they'll get when I'm away is a watering once a week if they're lucky. It's also organic, but again not really...when I think of organic I think of living, recycled soil that you only have to add water too, or perhaps some home-made organic tea. I don't really consider buying liquid nutes labelled "organic" from a store as pure organics (snob?)...but I am doing what I can at the moment, and for now they are living off the soil.

Next check on them will be in 2 weeks at the earliest, hope to have progress photos. I worry that even though the pots are big, they will get root bound...there's still 5 months or thereabouts before harvest. Had to compromise...but I'm very happy to be growing again anyway. :tiphat: Will be able to personally get to them sometime next month, in 3-4 weeks times

As you may have guessed by now, there are others involved in this grow which is not how I like to roll, but I trust my partners enough to go ahead. I wouldn't recommend it but compromises have had to be made. Will have a bit of a problem come February, but will jump off that bridge when we come to it.

Anyway, came across some of this in my travels:

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR). Fully imported 6 pack (of pints!) for $17.99. Wouldn't have thought a mass-produced Yank beer would be this good. Very fruity (maybe the hops?), not very malty at all. Quite tasty, something different and works out per standard drink about the same or not much more expensive than our domestic fullstrength stuff. Often heard of PBR but never seen it here in Oz. Pick up a pack if you can!

Edit: Geez I'm a long-winded bastard...I wonder what the average word-count of my posts is, lol.

S

Sat X RB

I 'm in SEQ and I think Kangaroos are unlikely to be a problem for yr garden. Wallabies maybe ... but they only nibble the leaves. they will not destroy.

the BIG PROBLEM is possums. these can go straight over a conventional mesh fence and they pull the plants down to chew them. if yr plants are big and the stem is strong and they can't pull the plants down ... the cunning b's chew the trunk near the ground (much in the manner of north hemisphere Beavers) then pull the plants over ... or at least low enuf to climb in.

possums are afraid to fall and so they won't climb on floppy or wobbly structures... and this is what you can do to beat them: LATER

Saibai

栽培して収穫しましょう!
Veteran
POSSUMS! Bastards...well for now it's just wait and see...I do know that Kangaroos (maybe wallabies?) are definitely around the place, but I am of no frickin doubt there'd be lots of possums too. atm the plants are completely surrounded (including over the top) by fencing...can only hope, as I sure as hell can't get to them for a coupla weeks.

And I thought monkeys/deer/wild boar were a problem, lol.

Run out of bud right now...don't feel bad for me, cause that just means that I have to tap into my dry sift pile...bwahahahha.

ozzieAI

Veteran
where i have been growing for years has a heap of wallabies and they never touched my plants...roos on the other hand wiped out a couple of grows i had in a different location...possums can do what sat x described but never to my grows, but to a mates...the biggest animal pest i have encountered were rats....

S

Sat X RB

I guess what we have in the differing experiences expressed here is a snapshot of the pests in different parts of the state.

the missus and I noticed deer prints on one of our firebreaks the other day. we've been in the area for forty years and that's a first for us ... but I know they're not too far south of where we live in a different mountain range.

and I wonder if you're talking about the white tailed rat up your way, Ozzie? roos we don't get in the hills here but they're on the slopes and plains down a bit.

Saibai the situation proves that guerrilla growing still needs a lot of time, relatively speaking, to thoroughly sus the growing area ... and a knowledge of strategies to deal with various creatures once they're identified.

if your plants are caged they'll be safe for now. pain but ... making and hiding cages, I mean.

will finish my possum proof fence in the next cuppla days and will post 'how to' pics for anyone interested.

cheers All!

Saibai

栽培して収穫しましょう!
Veteran
Well fellas, moment of truth coming up this week...I'll be off to check the plants in a coupla days. I have no idea of their current condition or even if they're still alive.
Will post (mobile phone) pics either way.

Anyone else working Christmas? AND New Years? :p

Saibai

栽培して収穫しましょう!
Veteran
Well, good news! The plants are doing very well, considering they haven't been touched in a month. I know I promised pics, but I could only get these two:

This is an Aurora Indica, the only one out of the first batch of germination to make it. It's about 120cm tall.
Pretty pleased cause this one was looking a bit weird and runty last time I saw it...it was by far the least promising-looking one at the time.

These are the 5 plants from the second round of germing (9 seeds) that made it, the others either didn't germ at all or didn't survive their vulnerable early stages due to lack of water.
There should be a Satori or two, a C99 or two, a Black Domina x Cheese and maybe the auto Somango.
This is before transplanting to big-ass pots.

For the big plants from the first germ round, I removed the mulch covering the soil (in case some pests were living there), top-dressed them with some blood & bone and dolomite lime mixed with some fresh soil, added a couple of centimetres of pine bark for mulch and gave them about 10 litres of water each. Then I sprayed the plants and the mulch with neem.
All plants then received their own individual cylinder of chicken wire around the pots, about 1.5 metres high.

There are now 12 plants total, 7 big ones all confirmed females. The C99s are budding up very quickly, covered in hairy proto-buds about the size of a 10 cent coin. All of the C99s smell like sweet pineapple.

The big plants are all a metre to a metre and a half, and should grow even more as long as the roots have space.
I got some GoGo Juice, and 4L of fresh worm juice from a guy who had a worm farm. Didn't use either of them at this point, as all the plants were looking green and lush.

Just as I arrived to the spot, a huge storm started. The hail was insane, it sounded like the vehicle was being shot at by 20 machine-guns. There were about 5 lightning strikes very close by, and I saw many huge branches falling off trees and even a direct strike to a tree nearby that broke off half it's mass in wood. It only lasted 10 or 15 minutes but it was fierce - couldn't see more than about 5m in front of me.
I was very surprised to find the plants intact. I will hopefully be heading out in a week or so, will keep youse posted.
Cheerio! :tiphat:

Saibai

栽培して収穫しましょう!
Veteran
Ay Rexadopholous!
I hope they're still powering too mate. The place they're in has gotten a bit of rainfall lately, but they're still growing lasses and need more to reach their potential.
Kicking myself I didn't take more pics of the bigger Satoris and C99s when I went out there, they were looking very healthy considering the neglect. And the C99s were smelling soooo fucken good, I tell you what.

Really should have set up some kind of auto-watering system, like you mentioned Rex, or been a bit more generous with the water crystals. They had to be moved from near my place to far, far away all of a sudden about a month before schedule so was all a bit rushed.

Got some purple indica atm, heavy shit. Meant to be Grandaddy Purple x OG Kush. Covered in trichs, potent and tastes good too. Almost painful expansion on inhale, burns to a grey ash, not white.

Saibai

栽培して収穫しましょう!
Veteran
:tiphat: Wentt to check on the girls, here's 3 random ones I took pics of:

This is the lone Aurora Indica, way behind the others in developing buds, lots of sites though and lots of hairs. Also taller than any of the others.

I think this one's a Satori, can't remember because I was taking pics in a rush.

Pretty sure this is a Satori too, shot from above.

I was nicely surprised/relieved again, it's been about 6 weeks since I last saw the plants. There's been some rain in the area over that time, but not a lot.
Most of the big ones had some yellowing fan leaves, but not too bad and not every plant. The obvious reason would be N deficiency, but in this case I think it's not due to lack of N in the soil, but lack of water, meaning the plants can't transport/absorb the nutes that are available.

I was able to get 2 waterings in, so I gave them a big drink of plain water (at least 10L each), then gave em about another 4L with GoGo Juice 12 hours later.

I couldn't see any insect or animal damage at all. A few had some blotchiness on their main stems, thought it might be something boring inside but not sure. A few small dead leaves here and there.

I think there's 7 big plants in total, there are a handful of the smaller, later ones too but they're not going to be worth bothering about. I would have destroyed them when I was out there this time, but had to leave.
It would be a crying shame if I got busted and those tiny things were included in the plant count.

Most of the big ones are smaller than they could be, but not too bad considering the circumstances.

2 plants, I think both C99s, are getting very dense buds already, pretty surprised actually, and the others are budding pretty well but not as much. All of them except the Aurora Indica are showing shitloads of trichs, too.

Also, gotta say it again: the C99s smell unreal, like sweet pineapple juice. Mmmmmm.

If everything goes to plan, should get a pretty decent amount of pretty decent quality buds.

Ay Rexadopholous
Got some purple indica atm, heavy shit. Meant to be Grandaddy Purple x OG Kush. Covered in trichs, potent and tastes good too. Almost painful expansion on inhale, burns to a grey ash, not white.

That gdpxog sounds right up my alley, love them heavily bred US strains. Also Ash color is in my experience a reflection of flushing.

Saibai

栽培して収穫しましょう!
Veteran
That gdpxog sounds right up my alley, love them heavily bred US strains. Also Ash color is in my experience a reflection of flushing.

Yeah it was good, I've only got crumbs and the kief left over from that. And I agree on the ash colour.

Really fatigued atm, didn't get much sleep last two nights. I did, however get my hands on some pics and and a bud from one of the plants growing - a mate did a mercy watering run for the girls. I think it's a C99.
Will upload pics after I've had a good sleep. Positive so far on the smoking, though this bud is half brown/dead. The other plants are looking better as far as I can tell looking at the pics.

:skiiing: