What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Safety info from Parrot Owners

bendoslendo

Hello all! We will be celebrating the birthday of a friend's parrot soon. When I asked what is a good parrot gift my friend said he likes sticks.

Well because of my hobby, I happen to have some nice sticks! I plan to dry out some cannabis stem/branches and maybe tie them together. Is there anything I have to do to the stems first? I really dont want to get my friends beloved pet sick!

Also, any tips on preparing stems/branches for our feathered friends?

P.D.S

yeah dont give birds those stems they are harmful, Pot is harmful/deadly to birds and parrots in particular. get some manzanita (sp?) or other hard non acidic woods for your friends bird. The bird will not only be happy to have a new toy but will stay healthy. Also you shouldn't smoke round the bird they will die quickly from second hand smoke. if you have any other questions id be glad to help

bendoslendo

yeah dont give birds those stems they are harmful, Pot is harmful/deadly to birds and parrots in particular. get some manzanita (sp?) or other hard non acidic woods for your friends bird. The bird will not only be happy to have a new toy but will stay healthy. Also you shouldn't smoke round the bird they will die quickly from second hand smoke. if you have any other questions id be glad to help

Wow man, thanks so much! I'm real glad I posted here before killing my friends bird! He's turning 27 and I'd hate to be the reason there was no 28th. I guess I'll find some boring bird toys at the pet shop :dunno:

Ickis

Veteran
My friends African Grey is 20 years old and has sat on his shoulder for a lot of joint and bong sessions over the last 19 years or so. Well sometimes he would be climbing on my friends bicycle while we played cards or D & D. That bird inhaled too.

NiteTiger

Tiger, Tiger, burning bright...
Veteran
yeah dont give birds those stems they are harmful, Pot is harmful/deadly to birds and parrots in particular.

Can you cite your source please? Since cannabis is non-toxic for every other creature I've encountered, I'm stunned I've never heard about this, and would like to read more.

Especially since hemp seed is used in birdseed all over the world, and considered a very healthy seed due to it's high fatty acid content, I'm amazed the stems would be so toxic!

Bumble Buddy

Something to watch out for is fumes from Teflon pans that have been heated up too high, possibly very toxic to birds. Also watch out for things like ceiling fans. And yes, they like branches a lot, you can mount some criss-cross in the cage so that the bird can climb all around, I've also seen manzanita wood used for perches though I don't know why that was so. Some wood they will chew right up but thats ok too cause they like it.

I've seen all sorts of parrots and other birds rooting through large quantities of pot, mostly bales of Mexi-Brick :biglaugh:, with no problems, they love the seeds and devour them with gusto. A determined bird can really shred a bale :biglaugh:. I've also seen birds around pot smoke, probably not good for 'em but they never seemed to mind, and some that seemed to like it even... :chin:? Crazy birds, I love 'em.

gdbud

Can you cite your source please? Since cannabis is non-toxic for every other creature I've encountered, I'm stunned I've never heard about this, and would like to read more.

Especially since hemp seed is used in birdseed all over the world, and considered a very healthy seed due to it's high fatty acid content, I'm amazed the stems would be so toxic!

As a bird I'm interested as well!:thank you:

P.D.S

Look it up, do i really need to tell you that my significant other is an ornithologist and she over sees the diet and nutrition of the birds in an entire zoo. Also nitetiger i said the plant is harmful not the seeds

GrnMtnGrwr

Veteran
Look it up, do i really need to tell you that my significant other is an ornithologist and she over sees the diet and nutrition of the birds in an entire zoo. Also nitetiger i said the plant is harmful not the seeds

You made that claim, and several people are questioning you about it. I'd say the burden of proof is on you. I'm really getting tired of people making claims and then refusing to provide proof.

P.D.S

Ok Grnmtngrwr here's how you do it go to google type in toxic plants for parrots and see what comes up on the lists( there are more than i can count and all of them list marijuana as a toxic plant (not hemp seed, im talking about the plant). If your still having a hard time look up planned parrothood. http://www.plannedparrothood.com/plants.html here's the address if you cant find it through the search

GrnMtnGrwr

Veteran
I know how to use Google. Thanks.

Just a question though. Why are hemp ropes ok for parrots if hemp is such a dangerous toxic plant? I can see that marijuana is on the list, but it still doesn't make any sense. They eat hemp seeds, and they play on/chew on hemp rope with no problems.

P.D.S

cool then do what i said and the answers are there for you to learn. Also do you own a bird or are you just here for an argument

GrnMtnGrwr

Veteran
Do what you said and the answers are there for me? What are you talking about?

I don't currently own a bird but I'll stick my nose wherever the fuck I like.

Clicking on the first link I Googled it's saying that only the leaves are toxic. Between that, and fact that the hemp rope is harmless (Fibers come from stems), your statement of...

yeah dont give birds those stems they are harmful, Pot is harmful/deadly to birds and parrots in particular.

...seems to be pretty off base. I'm tired of people owning animals without researching what good and bad for them. :jerkit:

P.D.S

Im done with you Grnmtngrwr. If you don't even own a bird im not sure what you are doing here arguing with me. How about this we agree to disagree and ill not feed my birds marijuana and you feed your imaginary bird what ever the hell you like.
Now for those of us this may actually apply to. Make you own informed decision. I gave the info and sources i have gathered my info from. Feel free to post anything you find that agrees or disagrees with that info

GrnMtnGrwr

Veteran
I don't need to own a bird to question information that looks like it is wrong. I can find hemp rope in TONS of parrot toys, and the "Ask an Expert" section of Parrots.org says that hemp rope is a good base for parrot toys. The only places I can find that say marijuana/hemp is dangerous is on lists of plants. Some just say marijuana/cannabis/hemp, but some specify it's the leaves that are dangerous.

The list with the most information says...
Cannabaceae (Hemp Family; Cannabis sativa - Marijuana) - Leaves, stems and flowers contain tetrahydrocannabinoils which when ingested create a feeling of euphoria. Large amounts cause poisoning of livestock and small animals.

If your stems have so much THC in them that animals are dying after chewing on them... you should spread those genetics.

P.D.S

I put the info out there believe me or not . Also i never said anything about hemp(being that hemp is not just a plant stalk or plant, hemp is processed) or hemp seed. You and i are talking about different things. Have I in any of my posts said hemp is bad for birds? I said marijuana is bad for birds you confirmed that with you last post. The OP was asking about giving unprocessed marijuana stalks to his friends birds. You would agree thats not hemp right.
I have seen a bird die from thc overdose it was a three year old african grey named dooby that got in to a pound of weed of a friends. And remember bird are incredibly light so it is very easy due to there size and rate of consumption to overdose on marijuana

GrnMtnGrwr

Veteran
I put the info out there believe me or not . Also i never said anything about hemp(being that hemp is not just a plant stalk or plant, hemp is processed) or hemp seed. You and i are talking about different things. Have I in any of my posts said hemp is bad for birds? I said marijuana is bad for birds you confirmed that with you last post. The OP was asking about giving unprocessed marijuana stalks to his friends birds. You would agree thats not hemp right.
I have seen a bird die from thc overdose it was a three year old african grey named dooby that got in to a pound of weed of a friends. And remember bird are incredibly light so it is very easy due to there size and rate of consumption to overdose on marijuana

I don't agree with the bolded statement. Marijuana, cannabis, hemp, whatever you want to call it, is all the same plant. There are differing amounts of psychoactive chemicals, depending on the strain, but hemp is just an extremely low THC version of marijuana.

What is involved in the processing of hemp besides drying that makes it change from toxic to safe?

We're not talking about feeding pounds of bud to parrots, we're talking about giving them dried stems. Completely different.