What's new

Safest way to get seeds without males

G

Situation: Currently 4 females in 2 weeks of flower, want more of the same plant but do not have the option to clone.

I was hoping for at least 1 male, could pollinate 1 of the females, get some seeds and store for later planting.

Now I have 4 females and no males in sight. I've read about Gibberellic Acid but would like a more organic approach.

Problem is they were all started at the same time. So I am trying to figure out how to get one of them to produce pollen (hermi) in enough time that I could pollenate 1 of the other females for seeds... Is GA my only solution to get this to happen?

N

newbieb

i heard stress gets them to hermy but i have no idea how the seeds will turn out

G

stress of any kind will probably cause your plants to hermie. During thier dark period, just let some light shine in and you will more than likely achieve your goal. either that or try cloning them. I dont know what your situation is and why you cant, but all you really need is a flouro light and some water. Best of luck

guerilla

G

choose whatever one you liked best and reveg it, or i here if you just let it flower very long past harvest time it will seed itself making s1's i think but dont quote me

G

Thanks everyone. The main reason I cannot clone is these bad boys STINK and although I am using a scrubber the holidays will be upon us in no time. A time when family will be CRAWLING all over the place. Not a good time to try cloning... ;)

So it appears I can either stress them into hermi, use GA or possibly let them go past their flower period and they should seed themselves...?

My vote would be option 3 but I ask has anyone experienced this? I'd hate to go the mile, wait till it's past its harvest period, only to see it just die and not deliver any little seeds.... :(

G

Zilaniz said:
choose whatever one you liked best and reveg it, or i here if you just let it flower very long past harvest time it will seed itself making s1's i think but dont quote me

Sorry..had to quote you anyway...if I remember correctly, this is nature's way of assuring the survival of the species(even mother nature doesn't wan't cannabis to die, mr. president). Leave some of the bottom buds post-harvest, and hopefully they'll start producing balls within a few-several weeks. Use those to pollinate the bottom buds(which will happen if you just leave it be)

Chiefsmokingbud

Slap-A-Ho tribe
Veteran
GA is tricky and certain ppms of it can cause different things. I can't remember the exact ppm but a certain ppm can increase flower size whereas another ppm can cause them to produce male flowers. I personally wouldn't use it unless you know what you're doing.

killabrown420

don't want to sound like a jackass, but can't you just buy more seeds of the same strain? Are these like bagseed or something or are they known genetics?

It sounds like to me your gonna go through a lot of trouble and possibly risk the quality of your harvest just to get more seeds...check out seedbay for some deals, some of the breeders on here put out affordable genetics, and then you can make your seeds next time

RoNdO

I like the reveg angle 18/6 and a nitrogen rich food should get it on track leave a bit of the bottom on the plant it may take a while but the plant is usually bushier plus the bonus is it is the same plant and you can grab a clone before the reflower.

SuperToker

thats kind of like asking "How can I get my girlfriend pregnant? I don't have a penis, nor do I have any sperm"

anyone with a brain would respond, "Go to a sperm bank" or "Find a friend to do her for ya". Same applies to situation.

Slim Pickens

Veteran
Chiefsmokingbud said:
GA is tricky and certain ppms of it can cause different things. I can't remember the exact ppm but a certain ppm can increase flower size whereas another ppm can cause them to produce male flowers. I personally wouldn't use it unless you know what you're doing.

I have been told by a friend that has been in the breedig biz for eons,that GA was what the seedbanks used to produce Fem'd seed.That is what I was told.GA can be used for many types of plant manipulation.If you do a search on GA you will no doubt find a wealth of information on uses and application rates.

But to cut to the chase:

http://www.hightimes.com/ht/grow/content.php?page=act_growshow&id=48&totalrecords=1000

Q&A WITH THE HIGH TIMES CULTIVATION EXPERTS
>> email your question
Gibberellic Acid
1997-12-22 >> Q&A DB Home

Q: I need to know how much gibberellic acid it takes and at what growth stage it must be administered to produce male flowers on a female plant.

-- MaD

A: Gibberellic acid (GA3) is a hormone that can be used to change the sex of a cannabis plant. It's most common use is to force a female plant to produce pollen which can then be crossed with a cutting from the same plant to produce seeds with the same genetic makeup of the mother plant. In this way, one can preserve the genetic traits of a particular plant without a complicated breeding program. This is done by spraying the plants with 100 ppm gibberellic acid in water for 5 consecutive days. Staminate flowers should appear within a few weeks. If not, repeat the process. This should be done early in the flowering phase, as soon as the sex of the plant is confirmed. The resulting pollen can then be saved for future fertilization of a cutting from the original mother plant. Gibberellic acid should be used only as directed and with proper precautions taken. After the final application, mist the plants with water often to remove any residue before drying and smoking the buds.

-- answered by max on 1997-12-22

I have read several places that sts alters the dna of your plant,,I don't know if it is true or not.

I also have it on good authority that elitexelite works well also.Have a friend that has a plant producing pods at this very minute.Not trying to start an argument,just relating my information.

Good luck.

G

why not reveg then clone the revegs after the holidays. If you can hide stinky plants you can hide clones Put the clones in the sealed box in the room. and open during lights on. I know there was some post on OG for cloners like that... I am sure there are some here.

Nickcorp187

Gibberellic Acid is the way to go to get feminised seeds. Don't stress you plants that could lead to genitic mutations that you don't want. Just get the Gibberellic Acid you want to use it early in flowering on a single or a couple different branches. Once you get those seeds do it again to the next generation and your seeds should be pretty stable. Try to keep it as controlled as possible in order to get the best end product.

G

STS,

Search on this and you shall find.

I feel this is the best way.

Peace, hhf

suzycremecheese

GA is a naturally occuring plant hormone so I wouldnt worry too much about organic.

Keep in mind that just because you make seeds from this line, whether it be by selfing them or pollinating them with their brothers, your likely to still get variation. You may not find any progeny that is simialr to the plants you have. Your probably getting this too late though.

tiedye420

My preferred method requires a HUGE genepool base.
I'll example it here..
I was smoking some TW that someone took to amber. Something I haven't had the patience for yet is growing her to amber. She has a different flavor that reminded me of a strain I culled from "dem old beans". It's a creeper pheno I believe to be a highland thai.. Sweet and skunky.. Popcorn nugs, everywhere. I called her "the octopus" a lot she creeps so bad....
Fortunatly I also remembered the huge male from this strain i used on My TW original before she died/got stolen- ect.
I attempted a test last year, but they got lost when my gurilla grow got shutdown.
I'll be testing them again soon. I really did get lucky. In my mind I not only used a "similar male" but actually did what I called "nailed the parentage"...
I probably have the only true trainwreck BX......In seedform...The male was vigorous as hell..
hermies are a last ditch effort of the plant to survive, after much study I reached the conclusion that they occur in nature often enough. They must be culled.
Not used to breed with.. Exhaust every effort to find your hybrids lineage. Research the parent lines. Decide which one pleases you best. Finding a landrace male of half of your parentage (even a vauge one within the same genotype) will recombinate old genetics and bring forth a more vigorous progeny.
If your really smart You'll open pollenate the offspring past the second generation. Remove any negative new phenotype's in the f2 and always remove the first flowering males- especially autoflower males. (show sex on 18/6 at a certain age)
In the third generation you should recognize phenotype's from both p's you desire...
Find a male from stemrubbs (in veg from cuts and seeeds)as the highest criteria and others follow in succession.
BX the F3 with a similar smelling male as your old clone and use it on the clone.
Your clone will be a Bx, and will swing it back toward the clones genetic makup. (it being the strain you created)
The open pollenations and Bx will make your old clone a IBL, if my deductions are correct.
DID I miss anything?
Other than that (damn lot of work) gibberillic acid may work.
But in no way would manipulating genetics produce anything better than the method described . If ya do it right, and get lucky you'll be stoked..
(luck is sometimes the key, if someone else is lucky and scores your seedplant- your luck goes down the drain.)
tiedye

Last edited: