What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

S1 questions?

G

S1 seeds(not fem'd) are off self pollenating or selfed females. Through a chemical stressing or catalyst process from what I understand.

Does it effect the overall stability of the genetics?

Are all plants females with no pheno variation at all? just copies of the selfed mother? Are all selfed from a single selected mother or a group of them?

Is there pheno varition in seeds?

This seems like a fairly new practice (S1's), why?

Any input on this would be great, I have to plead ignorance.

Tex

Last edited:

Chronis X

Hey Tex,

From what I was told - it was a carbon copy no pheno change -

but again - the info I have could be wrong

Sinfuldreams

Basement Garden Gnome
Veteran
Excelent Questions TK.
I think ChronisX is right.
But as to how Stable they are thats a good one.
Hermies?
Seems you would get 100% of that Plants Genes in the seed.
Hermie traits and all.
Might wana try on one of your Mazar. Stable as they are to Start with.
Since the Plant reverts back to female after the chemicals do thier work, seems a safe enough experiment.

What about just trying to Stress the Hell out it? Just too Hit and Miss? Some Strains just don't hermie under stress? As " Chemical " Avoidance is common amoung growers, I'd think Light Changes and other factors would do the same thing?

Hope we get some Answers TK, inquiring Stoners want to know!

zeppelindood

Captain Expando
Veteran
several worthy questions tk.... thanks for asking ~

if i could, i would like to add.... does the parent stock of OKIDs Blackberry S1 include Afghani and or The Black ?
:smoke::yes:

G

How would you pull off a seed crop?

Apply the chemicals to a nest of females and let them self or max out a couple of them and pollinate the rest with that pollen from a few plants?

Hmmm. what if you stressed a plant causing it to hermie and then pollinated another with that hermie pollen?

You could keep all females in your mother stable and just hermie then selectivly to make crosses, no males needed

Anyways, now I am thinkin about it more, the NLK is kickin in

Tex

King

Got you curious huh Tex? hehe

I've heard of slight variations in pheno's. One was a pheno that was actually better than the original Aeric Cali-O according to 3C's, and yes this is possible. We need more people to grow S1 and report their findings.

It's hard to find info on selfing, because it is a fairly new practice. There's a great thread over at CW. And like you'll soon see stated here, some breeders are put off by the idea and don't want to do it or are scared by the hermie myth associated with feminised seed. I disagree with this. I don't see how it wouldn't be better for them as a breeder, and for us as growers also.

These are the chemicals used

There is no other way to self.

King

Tex,
You need two female clones from the same plant. You apply it to 1 female clone. Once as it enters flower, once two weeks in. This plant will now grow pollen sacs and release the pollen. You collect the pollen and pollinate the other purely female clone which is already flowering. Or you cross it to other strains and make feminised hybrids.

G

How is it done?

Do you make a dilution and spray it on the foliage?

Do you selectivly apply it to nodes?

add it to the feeding?

At what stage of growth is best? is it deep into the flower for more exposure?

Tex

I'll help fuel the hermie myth a little. DP Mazar Fem'd is a hermie prone biatch. It was late in flower when I got nanners but I got them on every one and had to fight to make to harvest with pollinating my whole flower room.

G

Is the hybrid a S1 or a fem'd seed?

Doesn't this do away with the need for males in your breeding stock?

Tex

G

Thanks Cali

So if you follow that, you could apply a dilution of 200ppm or better not to excede 500ppm to a M/F crop from seed and induce all female flowers, correct?

Tex

G

Why is there years of negative feed back about hermie tendencies(my experience) of Feminized seeds and now all the sudden we have S1's being thown in the mix?

There fem'd but not fem'd their selfed or whatever S1's.

Tex

Well

Well

It's worth a try. I've got a clone-only strain I've had for over 10 years and I would like to try to get some seeds. If I can induce some male flowers I will pollenate a different mother.

King

I'm pretty sure everyone selfing currently is using silver nitrate and sodium thiosulfate. You just spray it on the plant. Don't know what you'd call the hybrids Tex.

Isn't gibberellic acid the old way feminised seeds are produced? Aren't those the ones that hermie?

G

I feel like I just gave birth to a Botanist now after reading a killer thread on a "Cannabis World" link King sent me.

I'm curious as hell now

Tex