What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

S1 Pheno hunting with Chem 91 Skunk VA

JetLife175

Veteran
Nah, he had a boy...

You know what you are completely right. I jumped the gun. Not s1 at all but the result of a female/male pairing.

So the s1 you are mentioning though Yuba. There may be some merit to the statement. That could possibly be that fake JoeB 91” cut that made the rounds heavy a while back. I’m gonna do some digging around to see what I can come up with.

Chappi

I finished my grow a few weeks back and buds are curing in jars. I’ll break down some things that might be helpful for some people starting from the germination.

Germination: 6 seeds were placed directly into solo cups with coco(primed with calmag) all seeds germinated about the same time.

Seedlings: Seedlings are slow to grow. I experimented with very low dose of fox farms big bloom and they burned.

Veg state: on 18/6 Seedlings were placed inside hydroton With their coco mass that was in the solo cups intact. Once their root system develops well they can take nute levels at full dose. I used PBP grow and bloom. Plants grow a lot of larf, I did not top to avoid stressing the plant and instead used LST. Once I had plenty of shoots I released her them from bondage(mistake) these plants stretched to 2-3 times their size. KEEP THEM TIED UP. Also I would suggest you do a lot of maintenance on the lowers. Clean up bottoms really well and maybe lollipop. Plants grow a lot of leafs and I didn't clean it up enough before I put in flower.

Flower: On 13/11 Plants like a lower ppm level in flowering, they don’t seem to like fulvic acids, hermie flower popped out early in flower. I stopped the fulvic acid and dropped nute levels and the hermies stopped. Plants grew a ton of HUGE fan leaves in flower and I decided to trim more fan leaves in early flower and it cost me a lot in yield. I knew it would but I was afraid of mold due to poor air circulation and high humidity levels.

Phenos: I saw two main phenos. One is more pine structure and grows frosty pine/chem/lemon buds. This pheno is the more potent one and also more on the sativa side. Some phenos leaning this way can be decent producers and some can be small.
attachment.php

Second pheno: more of a golf ball shape and sized nugs looking more kush like, not as frosty as the pine pheno with a more skunk/chem note to it. This pheno is not as potent but just barely less potent with a more indica finish. It was also my biggest yielder. The piney pheno was a decent yielder too. Two phenos were good and decent yielders and the other two were crap.
attachment.php

The rest of the phenos were somewhere in between. One pheno was extremely nute sensitive and died during flower it didn't stretch and was quickly left below the canopy by the rest. It was an extremely leafy cabbage pheno. One other plant was gifted to a friend as a seedling.

Cure: the flavor and smell transfers well into the dried bud. Very skunky loud stench. My carbon filter was maybe 80% effective.
attachment.php

Plants were sensitive to light and to nutes early in veg. I was able to go full power on the lights towards the end of flower. I added beneficial bacteria weekly and the plants loved it.

Never grown the clone but I really dig the high and flavor of these buds. I have one seed left that I may cross to something for preservation. I would recommend this strain to anyone that’s into that old school skunk. I’m more into the exotic flavors and sativa highs but if I had access to the clone I would fuck with it again for sure.
attachment.php

Hydro system flood and drain
Nutes: pure blend pro grow and bloom, calmag and foxfarm bloom towards the end of flower.

Lights: 4 CREE LED COBS about 400 Real total watts.

Attachments

• 9DC069B8-7225-4255-AAC8-11B4B2DF819B.jpg
    9DC069B8-7225-4255-AAC8-11B4B2DF819B.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 90
  • AFD23725-8A58-483E-A631-833A3BDBA9FC.jpg
    AFD23725-8A58-483E-A631-833A3BDBA9FC.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 103
  • 8AED2071-F7A8-4285-AA10-4FBF3E14DB56.jpg
    8AED2071-F7A8-4285-AA10-4FBF3E14DB56.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 92
  • 79722027-DAD4-458E-AFAE-E80520D69DA4.jpg
    79722027-DAD4-458E-AFAE-E80520D69DA4.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 87

HydroOrganicFla

Veteran
I finished my grow a few weeks back and buds are curing in jars. I’ll break down some things that might be helpful for some people starting from the germination.

Germination: 6 seeds were placed directly into solo cups with coco(primed with calmag) all seeds germinated about the same time.

Seedlings: Seedlings are slow to grow. I experimented with very low dose of fox farms big bloom and they burned.

Veg state: on 18/6 Seedlings were placed inside hydroton With their coco mass that was in the solo cups intact. Once their root system develops well they can take nute levels at full dose. I used PBP grow and bloom. Plants grow a lot of larf, I did not top to avoid stressing the plant and instead used LST. Once I had plenty of shoots I released her them from bondage(mistake) these plants stretched to 2-3 times their size. KEEP THEM TIED UP. Also I would suggest you do a lot of maintenance on the lowers. Clean up bottoms really well and maybe lollipop. Plants grow a lot of leafs and I didn't clean it up enough before I put in flower.

Flower: On 13/11 Plants like a lower ppm level in flowering, they don’t seem to like fulvic acids, hermie flower popped out early in flower. I stopped the fulvic acid and dropped nute levels and the hermies stopped. Plants grew a ton of HUGE fan leaves in flower and I decided to trim more fan leaves in early flower and it cost me a lot in yield. I knew it would but I was afraid of mold due to poor air circulation and high humidity levels.

Phenos: I saw two main phenos. One is more pine structure and grows frosty pine/chem/lemon buds. This pheno is the more potent one and also more on the sativa side. Some phenos leaning this way can be decent producers and some can be small.
View Image
Second pheno: more of a golf ball shape and sized nugs looking more kush like, not as frosty as the pine pheno with a more skunk/chem note to it. This pheno is not as potent but just barely less potent with a more indica finish. It was also my biggest yielder. The piney pheno was a decent yielder too. Two phenos were good and decent yielders and the other two were crap.
View Image
The rest of the phenos were somewhere in between. One pheno was extremely nute sensitive and died during flower it didn't stretch and was quickly left below the canopy by the rest. It was an extremely leafy cabbage pheno. One other plant was gifted to a friend as a seedling.

Cure: the flavor and smell transfers well into the dried bud. Very skunky loud stench. My carbon filter was maybe 80% effective.
View Image
Plants were sensitive to light and to nutes early in veg. I was able to go full power on the lights towards the end of flower. I added beneficial bacteria weekly and the plants loved it.

Never grown the clone but I really dig the high and flavor of these buds. I have one seed left that I may cross to something for preservation. I would recommend this strain to anyone that’s into that old school skunk. I’m more into the exotic flavors and sativa highs but if I had access to the clone I would fuck with it again for sure.
View Image

Hydro system flood and drain
Nutes: pure blend pro grow and bloom, calmag and foxfarm bloom towards the end of flower.

Lights: 4 CREE LED COBS about 400 Real total watts.

This is THE MOST helpful post I've come across in a
long time and I really appreciate you doing this.

The Chemdog family in my opinion is the best we have around and there is a ton of genetic potential in there.

I loved every detail of this, starting from the germination. This is incredibly helpful to anyone growing these genetics and I've already printed this off myself to use as a guide for when I run them!

Thank you.

T

TakenByTheSky

It's weird because the 91 seems to reproduce itself better in hybrids than it does in an s1.

91 is like bubba kush or deep chunk in a lot of ways anything it breeds with just looks more like 91, the s1 version holds a few similarities but are a pale comparison to the original.

Chappi

It's weird because the 91 seems to reproduce itself better in hybrids than it does in an s1.

91 is like bubba kush or deep chunk in a lot of ways anything it breeds with just looks more like 91, the s1 version holds a few similarities but are a pale comparison to the original.

I heard some breeders say that it appears that whenever the chemdog hermies on another plant it creates gems but not so much when you hit it with a male from another strain.

S1’s open up a lot of recessive traits so I wasn’t expecting to find an exact clone of the chemdog. It definitely was chem smelling and has great potency that lasts. Some strains are potent for an hour or so and then quickly taper off, this one stays at peak and keeps getting you higher the more you smoke. I don’t seem to be building much of a tolerance to it either. Like I said I don’t have access to the clone so I have no way of comparing but I’m happy with what these S1’s offer.

My grow was far from being dialed in so I believe someone could grow these much better than I did. I shared my experience so that someone may be able to benefit from it. I had a really hard time getting any good info.

Another thing to note is that I cut these at about day 60 and they barely had any amber trichs. I could have let her go at least one more week but with the rain humidity levels were getting too high for comfort.

HydroOrganicFla

Veteran
I heard some breeders say that it appears that whenever the chemdog hermies on another plant it creates gems but not so much when you hit it with a male from another strain.

S1’s open up a lot of recessive traits so I wasn’t expecting to find an exact clone of the chemdog. It definitely was chem smelling and has great potency that lasts. Some strains are potent for an hour or so and then quickly taper off, this one stays at peak and keeps getting you higher the more you smoke. I don’t seem to be building much of a tolerance to it either. Like I said I don’t have access to the clone so I have no way of comparing but I’m happy with what these S1’s offer.

My grow was far from being dialed in so I believe someone could grow these much better than I did. I shared my experience so that someone may be able to benefit from it. I had a really hard time getting any good info.

Another thing to note is that I cut these at about day 60 and they barely had any amber trichs. I could have let her go at least one more week but with the rain humidity levels were getting too high for comfort.

I keep coming back to this thread to drool at your photos here haha. Lovely ladies.

From your descriptions, I believe you have a gem that is VERY similar to Chemdog 91 Skunk VA. Especially after hearing about the effects. Chemdog is a SUPER special plant, with a smell unlike any other. But its the effects that keep you coming back. It's the bag that always gets smoked first, so to speak.

Truly well done job and many thanks for sharing with us. :)

JetLife175

Veteran
I keep coming back to this thread to drool at your photos here haha. Lovely ladies.

From your descriptions, I believe you have a gem that is VERY similar to Chemdog 91 Skunk VA. Especially after hearing about the effects. Chemdog is a SUPER special plant, with a smell unlike any other. But its the effects that keep you coming back. It's the bag that always gets smoked first, so to speak.

Truly well done job and many thanks for sharing with us. :)

Question. Have you had the real 91 at all yet????

HydroOrganicFla

Veteran
Question. Have you had the real 91 at all yet????

Yes, I actually have some as we speak, it's as good as ever.

It had been years since I had some and it was like greeting an old friend. The smell, the texture, it was like going back in time once i smelled it again.

Nothing like it. Not the smell or the texture. It is so greasy.

picture.php

JetLife175

Veteran
Can you describe the nose on it? It should literally smell like fuel. All fuel not much else.

And yeah that looks about right. I can smell it through the screen.

I also got to try some of that Chem 91 batch.

It’s pretty good, smells more like straight Fuel to me than the Chem D does.

I actually prefer the Chem D, I like the slight burnt rubber smell and taste lol, plus I also like the high from it better, it treats my symptoms better...

*Check out the Florida State section and threads there, might find some interesting things...

This is a great thread and I wish I had come across it before popping my Chem 91 S1 from CSI. I typically run organic soils but tried a coco/perlite mix with salts for this run.

Plants looked great until flower but I clearly have them under both too much light and too much feed. I have them under 720W of QB in a 1.4x1.4m tent.

I never pushed them and stuck with recommended EC (around 1.6 to 1.8) but there was clearly a sensitivity towards nitrogen. No real leaf burn but lots of clawing. Soon as I saw it I started wondering if maybe the 91s tendency to curl was due to a sensitivity to nitrogen and not just a general genetic expression.

My girls are in week 5 now and they are extremely airy and almost no bud structure development. I suspect this is the excessive light that's causing intense bud development issues.

One of the girls is very variegated, straight out the seed she's been showing variegation n

Attachments

• photo2110720.jpg
    photo2110720.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 64
  • photo2110721.jpg
    photo2110721.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 53
  • photo2110722.jpg
    photo2110722.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 64
  • photo2110723.jpg
    photo2110723.jpg