What's new

s.f. bay area stoner restaurant guide.

C

CTSV

Down the road from SF, in Napa. Bouchon, has fantastic food!
picture.php

G

guest3854

CTSV, what kinda fuggin' sandwich is THAT ! Looks like a must have my friend .....

Steele

D

dirtdog

CTSV knows whats up bouchon is out of this world good. it's thomas keller's french bistro. never been to the french laundry but for about $300 less you can eat at bouchon. here are some spots in SF proper that i love off the top of my head (not from the bay area, but go there all the time and have lots of fam there)

Bar Tartine - Mission - best bakery in SF, if you can find better sourdough let me know. blows acne away, you actually have to call in ahead to preorder loaves. It is also the best non-mexican restaurant I've been to in the mission. I had never tried bone marrow before I've been here, but I knew that Anthony Bourdain has said that if he could have one dish before he died, it would be roasted bone marrow on crusty bread. Tartine NAILS this dish. I was scared at first, but the marrow is like the essence and flavor of the juiciest, most tender piece of beef ever, in SPREADABLE form. spreadable steak. it melts all over the sourdough that they toast over the open flame. really amazing shit.

Zuni Cafe - get the roast chicken for 2 @ dinner, or the burger @ lunch

Slanted Door - really hard to get reservations but this place is unreal. super amazing views and the upscale asian food is top notch. gotta try the shakin beef.

Tommy's Mexican @ 24th and Geary - BEST MARGARITA IN THE WORLD - the recipe they use here is so simple but it is the best. its just tequila, fresh lime, and agave nectar. they have hundreds of tequilas to choose from. Julio runs the bar and he is also the tequila ambassador for the US. you can get your phd in tequila at tommys, sit at the bar and ask julio about it. the food here is pretty good, order off the yucatan specialties if you want the best shit. for me, tommys is best at the bar with friends drinking el tesoro anejo margaritas and eating chips and guacamole.

BURRITO SPOTS
i love burritos and i can't get them where i live. we have chipotle but i will never settle for that dog food. that shit SUCKS.

Taqueria San Francisco @ 24th and york - if you have never had a chili relleno burrito before, get one here its one of their specialties. sooo cheesy and gooey and just fucking amazing. they also have really good pastor.

Gordo Taqueria @ 9th ave and Irvine - the pork chili verde burrito here is so messy but it might be my all time favorite. the chili verde sauce is really really good and the pork is so tender.

Papalote - mission 24th and valencia - this place is a little more yuppie but the burritos do not dissapoint.

El farolito - mission - late night spot with bomb ass pastor.

C

CTSV

Steele: That was called a Crouque Monsuer or some shit. It was fantastic. Bouchon is one of my all time favorites. It's the bakery for The French Laundry. The mussels are great...Crusty bread and a great garlic broth!

I have also eaten at The French Laundry...For me and two others, it was over a grand! So that was a one time experience. Outstanding though, even if it was a tad stuffy.

My all time favorite eatery(next to WD50 in NY), is Gary Danko located at 800 North Point at Hyde. The 5 course tasting is 80 bucks, and at a third of the price of Thomas Keller's Laundry tasting...I dare say it was better.

In&Out burger is always a winner with me. Down at the wharf.

C

CTSV

I had never tried bone marrow before I've been here, but I knew that Anthony Bourdain has said that if he could have one dish before he died, it would be roasted bone marrow on crusty bread. Tartine NAILS this dish. I was scared at first, but the marrow is like the essence and flavor of the juiciest, most tender piece of beef ever, in SPREADABLE form. spreadable steak. it melts all over the sourdough that they toast over the open flame. really amazing shit.
I've got the book that he said that in. It's called My Last Supper, and it has a the last meal of the top 50 chefs in the nation.
513zY8FqowL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

There is a thread in here about your last meal, and mine would also be bone marrow, crusty bread, and some Caymus Special Selection 2003. Absolutely heavenly!

Man I been wanting to try Gary Danko for a long time, hard to tell its even a restaurant when you drive by it.
You have got to try it. They had a really interesting menu when I was there. You could choose a 3,4, or 5 course meal. Progressive pricing, and a great wine list...of Course.

Mr. Burgundy

the one thing i love is bbq theres a few spots in the bay i like .armadillo willys has good texas bbq theres one in dublin , cupertino, san mateo and a few other spots i forget. another spot is everett and jones in berkely and in oakland and serves true "black folks" bbq anyone know any other good ones i still havent tried that ex niners bbq joint in sf i forget the name its like big nates or somethin.throw some names out

During the Dot Com boom, I was @ Potrero Hill, and we would hit up Big Nate's BBQ for lunch. The BBQ was tasty, and really spicy. Oh, and Nate Thurmond played for the Warriors back in the day...
Everett & Jones has two spots in the bay-in Berkeley and Jack London SQ in Oakland. If you want the RESTAURANT experience, hit up JLS. If you want some BBQ to go, then hit up the Berkeley location. Personally, I was a FLINTS man myself, back in the day...But the best part of the adventure of getting BBQ back then, was having no idea what meat cuts were available. Its actually sad when you think about it-but don't get a brisket jones, and when you get there all they got left is "links and chicken." Classic.

Nowadays, I get balls deep into BARNEYS when I get the chance. If you can hit up Cheesecake Factory on the late night, and please try their avacado eggrolls.

Picante's in Berkeley has what is considered yuppified mexican food, but it is good.
Victorias in SJ by the campus is the bomb. The orange sauce...I'm tellin..the orange sauce.

Zachary's Pizza is even better the next day. If deep dish pie is your thing, get a few...

I love Salvadoran Papusas-and we would hit up EL Zocolo on the late night in the mission..after clubbing those things hit the spot!

I have been to Ruth Chris before, but not the one in SF. I really made up my mind I would never be a vegetarian after eating there..

Happy hunting!

swishaman

I think if I ever make it to the area, i'll have to kidnap CTSV to take me around for food...

Seriously, you post some incredible eats... :joint:

Here is a pic of the lobster ravioli's from Scoma's that I had the pleasure of devouring! If me and my girl go we split a order as a appetizer! Great place to eat! here is their menu link
http://www.scomas.com/?page=menus

thanks for the menu for scomas man im making a trip there in the near future .i went to house of nan kings on friday its one of those spots u gotta try at least once there house sesame chicken special is so tasty and the noodles there kicked ass lol

whats up killedkilleryo, I hit up a greek spot on sansome last weekend its called kokkari, if you like GOOD greek food hit this place up, pics to come!

Ever in the city and want some good inexpensive greek food, hit this place up
http://www.kokkari.com/menus/
I was so into my starters i diddnt even take a pic of my main course.
Started up with some grilled octopus

some deep fried smelt

And the pitas with your choice of 3 greek yogurts

and these lamb riblets were freakin awesome!
I posted a link to the menu and that should get you to the site! Happy eating!

that greek food looks good i like goin to the greek festival in oakland which is may 15,16,17, its a stoners munchie paradise.another restaraunt is sol food in san rafael its puerto rican food and was featured on diners drive ins and dives on food network i just happen to live in the area and eat there quite a bit very good food.