What's new

S.E. Asian Expedition 2008...Cambodia/Vietnam...

DoobieDuck

ICMag Donor
Veteran
This thread captivates me and takes me along dreaming as if I were actually there...it has images! DG that antique shop...I sold items for locals on eBay for four years rooting through the garages and sheds...first amazing thing I sold was a cork screw dated 1886..we started all our bids at 5 bucks and let the eBayers take it to market value...never dreamed it would fetch $2400.00 in the end. Just let me and my wife loose in a store like that and we're there for hours...thanks for sharing the images....DD..and wife...

Last edited:
C

Chamba

I'm here to enjoy this thread too...just as I have with all the other of Gypsy's holiday threads..I like the tag-team posting too.

btw post lots of photos! there's never too many..the more the merrier

wish I was there and all that!

btw next time you'll have to go to India or Africa!..now that would be a trip

Last edited:

Sundance

Same quote, and message from last year

Dutchgrown said:
visiting during the rainy season has it's advantages....in many ways. :D
dg

So that explains the smile on your face

Keep smiling and having fun

Sundance

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Going up country to meet Charlie....

Going up country to meet Charlie....

After our wet and rainey Phnom Penh city tour we popped back to the hotel to re-group for a few minutes.....loose the camera locked up in the luggage and went out again past reception to hail yet another taxi to take us to the rendezvous point......a gas station somewhere north of the city..

I had'nt bothered to try and score some érb locally......was too risky considering that as soon as I hooked up with Charlie we would most probably have something decent to toke on....

My phone vibrated in my pocket signalling that I had a text.....so I looked at it and it was Charlie sending me directions in the local language to show to the cab driver......I had been trying to explain this in English to him for about a minute so it was good timing.....and I showed this to the driver.....he nodded his head and put his foot down on the accelerator of the little hyundai heading for our drop off point.....

It was'nt long before we were there.....and the cab-driver looked kinda curious as to why we wanted to be dropped off at a gas station......but his attention to this was soon diverted when I produced a ten dollar bill and told him to keep the change as we alighted from his vehicle.....short ride....big tip...

Wonderon

Reading right along as you post. Awesome photos, and cool that you documented the trip. Looking forward to the rest!

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Hitting the Khmer Gold.....

Hitting the Khmer Gold.....

It was a busy gas station, even with the fuel prices having doubled over the last year, seemed like the locals still had enough to put something in the tank....

I was hoping that Charlie was'nt going to be too long....2 foreigners hanging out at a gas station might have looked odd around here...so I called Charlies number again to ask him where he was and as I made contact I saw his old Land Cruiser coming towards me with him on the phone at the wheel....Ah! there he was......

He stopped at one of the pumps and beckoned us to get into the 4x4, so we did.....the back seat was a bit cluttered with bits and pieces so he threw all the junk behind into the luggage compartment........and I caught a whiff of something cannabis......lol!.....Charlie had a spliff burning in the ashtray....

As the diesel tank was filled I introduced Charlie to DG and shook hands with him, then he paid one of the gas station attendants thru the window and we took off up the road accelerating getting further and further away from the city.....Charlie past me the burning spliff and I happily toked away on in drawing the sweet and spicey fumes a what tasted like a good south-east asian sativa into my lungs......It was a big hit and it expanded inside me, but I held it down for maximum effect, then let it out in a big cloud.......Mmmmmm, I mumbled.....'what is this?' I said.....

'Khmer Gold Gypsy.....It's what we call The Khmer Gold' said Charlie........

Dutchgrown

----
Veteran
It was like some scene from an action/suspense movie...especially being so far away from the West, and meeting up for this fascinating yet most clandestine mission to check out what Charlie was going to show us. Charlie was quite a bit older than both of us having been stationed out in this part of the world during the Vietnam war era and was recounting many stories to us about those days gone by as we moved swiftly along through the countryside heading to a place that I'd never been to before and no real idea of it's geographical location other than it was in Cambodia. I felt a little bit out of place and out of mind once Gypsy passed the spliff to me and I took a few hits, then started staring out of the window at all of the unusual sights, people, vehicles, houses, businesses that went by. Charlie had to keep slowing down for cows, dogs and chickens that kept straying into the road and/or had taken up residence there by the looks of it.

Charlie sure liked to talk and both me and Gypsy said very little as we listened to him telling us story after story. It was like being stoned and spellbound with my senses heightened and my mind soaring high as a kite!

Time almost stood still but what seemed like a long time might have been a short time...but anyway, eventually we arrived at Charlie's place which was architecturally an old looking house with french windows and nice balconies and verandas, with a gorgeous garden overflowing with bouganvilla and marigolds, orchids and lush tropical palms.

zig

Wonderon said:
Reading right along as you post. Awesome photos, and cool that you documented the trip. Looking forward to the rest!
same here, great tale. I almost feel like i'm there with yall.

DIGITALHIPPY

Veteran
Dutchgrown said:
It was like some scene from an action/suspense movie...especially being so far away from the West, and meeting up for this fascinating yet most clandestine mission to check out what Charlie was going to show us. Charlie was quite a bit older than both of us having been stationed out in this part of the world during the Vietnam war era and was recounting many stories to us about those days gone by as we moved swiftly along through the countryside heading to a place that I'd never been to before and no real idea of it's geographical location other than it was in Cambodia. I felt a little bit out of place and out of mind once Gypsy passed the spliff to me and I took a few hits, then started staring out of the window at all of the unusual sights, people, vehicles, houses, businesses that went by. Charlie had to keep slowing down for cows, dogs and chickens that kept straying into the road and/or had taken up residence there by the looks of it.

Charlie sure liked to talk and both me and Gypsy said very little as we listened to him telling us story after story. It was like being stoned and spellbound with my senses heightened and my mind soaring high as a kite!

Time almost stood still but what seemed like a long time might have been a short time...but anyway, eventually we arrived at Charlie's place which was architecturally an old looking house with french windows and nice balconies and verandas, with a gorgeous garden overflowing with bouganvilla and marigolds, orchids and lush tropical palms.
damn! sounds like a bomb trip! take some more pics, i really really enjoyed that slid show of all the pritty flowers, that one hanging was especialy nice to see, real tropical and beautiful!
you guys tour the S.E. and enjoy yourselvs, im holding it down in the west.
try to avoid the seafood please, ill eat the lobster and shrimps for you dont worry :joint:

DoobieDuck

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Dutchgrown said:
an old looking house with french windows and nice balconies and verandas, with a gorgeous garden overflowing with bouganvilla and marigolds, orchids and lush tropical palms.
I'm moving...you two are moving me! The last, only, book I ever read was in 1970...Tale of Two Cities...a requirement to pass high school...my wife just finds it amazing that I'm captivated by IC and the stories here. Thanks DD.

B

Bubble Puppy

Thanks for sharing your exciting journey.Love seeing the photos of exotic plants ,have a great time !!

G

grapepunched

UPDATE us Gypsy or DG!
This story is amazing, the details and photos are simply breathtaking!
Please enthrall me with more of this wonderful trip!
I suppose being that there were opium pipes that opium is common? ;)

PEACE!

-gp

DoobieDuck

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Where'd the Go...?

Where'd the Go...?

They must be deeep in the jungle.....^^..second that..DD
grapepunched said:
UPDATE us Gypsy or DG!
This story is amazing, the details and photos are simply breathtaking!
Please enthrall me with more of this wonderful trip!
I suppose being that there were opium pipes that opium is common? ;)

PEACE!

-gp

Latest posts

Latest posts