What's new

Running Reg and Fem seeds in same Tent

Hi fellow growers, I was wondering if it is very easy to spot male plants early and pick them out when running reg and fem seeds in same tent. Is it not worth the cost to buy reg seeds if I am not going to use any males? I see some strains I want again that are reg and not fem seeds, but I have no desire to grow any male plants
Currently I am vegging reg and fem during together. When will I be able to tell male and female? is this not smart or what. Ideally I want to only grow females and pluck any males early, but female seeds are not always the strains I like so I want to buy regular seeds and fem seeds as well if I see them and run them l in one big tent is this a recipe for diasaster and seeds in my bud or do you think I will be able to easily spot males and pull them early on and not run into any problems. My goal is to grow high quality cannabis that taste, burns, smells and breaks up amazing
Thank you in advance for the help. I know my question is novice and stupid, but I am on a journey to grow some of the best fire and I hope you guys follow me

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Hi fellow growers, I was wondering if it is very easy to spot male plants early and pick them out when running reg and fem seeds in same tent. Is it not worth the cost to buy reg seeds if I am not going to use any males? I see some strains I want again that are reg and not fem seeds, but I have no desire to grow any male plants
Currently I am vegging reg and fem during together. When will I be able to tell male and female? is this not smart or what. Ideally I want to only grow females and pluck any males early, but female seeds are not always the strains I like so I want to buy regular seeds and fem seeds as well if I see them and run them l in one big tent is this a recipe for diasaster and seeds in my bud or do you think I will be able to easily spot males and pull them early on and not run into any problems. My goal is to grow high quality cannabis that taste, burns, smells and breaks up amazing
Thank you in advance for the help. I know my question is novice and stupid, but I am on a journey to grow some of the best fire and I hope you guys follow me
Yes, you should be able to see the male flowers way before they drop pollen. Keep a magnifier close by and check the regs daily.

Fuel

I was wondering if it is very easy to spot male plants early and pick them out
Yes, it's very easy and less synchronized than you think.
Is it not worth the cost to buy reg seeds if I am not going to use any males?
It's worth the ride for the global genpool, when you eventually share a cut. Or make seeds later for yourself.

Still a taboo debate today, since two decades now. But consequences are all around. Let's make some cynical bucks in tagging "pre-something" the fem releases, in preaching the reverse ... that everything is alright.

Currently I am vegging reg and fem during together. When will I be able to tell male and female?

Generally, one month top if their condition/health is decent. Then you can move females in flowering stage.
You can also take a clone of each before on lower stems, label it, put it in glass of water under 12/12. You save up to two weeks like this, instead feeding big plants, and if you're not interested by anything but the weed.

Ideally I want to only grow females

Make a motherplant and clone it as fuck. Simply. Cheaper, faster and more reliable that fems. Since .... ever.
But old farts lie right ? And not the sacred marketing ^^ What an interesting era.

My goal is to grow high quality cannabis that taste, burns, smells and breaks up amazing

It's coming with experience, you can't have it "right here, right now" like a magic spell. Even with the best ultra-hyped clone of the world.

Yes, it's very easy and less synchronized than you think.

It's worth the ride for the global genpool, when you eventually share a cut. Or make seeds later for yourself.

Still a taboo debate today, since two decades now. But consequences are all around. Let's make some cynical bucks in tagging "pre-something" the fem releases, in preaching the reverse ... that everything is alright.

Generally, one month top if their condition/health is decent. Then you can move females in flowering stage.
You can also take a clone of each before on lower stems, label it, put it in glass of water under 12/12. You save up to two weeks like this, instead feeding big plants, and if you're not interested by anything but the weed.

Make a motherplant and clone it as fuck. Simply. Cheaper, faster and more reliable that fems. Since .... ever.
But old farts lie right ? And not the sacred marketing ^^ What an interesting era.

It's coming with experience, you can't have it "right here, right now" like a magic spell. Even with the best ultra-hyped clone of the world.
Thank you!

goingrey

Males and females look very different when flowering.

1701928557033.png

Male on the left, female on the right (source USDA)

bushed

Look up male and female preflower, you will be able to tell them apart in veg and scrap the males.

Keeping a mother plant and clones works well from a commercial perspective but for personals I wouldn't bother.

squatty

Just know that you have to plant a few extras to account for the males and sometimes it doesn't work out. This past summer I had two strains of which I started three seeds each hoping for one nice female of each strain. I ended up with three males of each and was unable to grow either strain.