What's new

Running exhaust fan and carbon filter in reverse? Help?

STUNKY

I believe non reversible means there is a designated intake and exhaust end. Meaning you can't hook the intake on the exhaust end.. Not positive though

D

dark horse

I also read the following statement on another forum

"I heard blowing it through reduces the smell in the place where you exhaust, but your room itself and the surrounding areas smell stays. "

But I take what I read with a grain of salt

D

dark horse

So are there any more concerns about blowing instead of sucking air through a carbon filter? I realize several of you have told me it's perfectly okay, but different threads I keep reading are trying to sow an element of doubt in my mind.

Again, here is the filter that I am looking at blowing through instead of sucking: http://www.hydrofarm.com/product.php?itemid=6831#tabs-3

It's just that I'm about the pull the trigger on some equipment and I definitely don't want to find out my shit won't work right.

STUNKY

Ur good man.. As long as that air is getting scrubbed as it comes outta the tent or room whatever , then ur good. Of course u will be able to smell it in the tent or room cause the air hasn't been scrubbed.. U just need to pull the trigger, my friend ur starting to make this a issue which it won't be with a filter. If u leave the tent or cab open it is possible for the smell to get out but u just gotta keep it shut and have ur carbon filter running once Mary starts to stink..

D

dark horse

Alright man i hear ya

But 1 last question (at least I think it's the last one).... why does this filter here say "non reversible" anyone know?

http://www.hydrofarm.com/product.php?itemid=11370

Yet, in the FAQ section it says:
Q: Can I setup my exhaust fan to blow into my carbon filter as opposed to having it pull through it? A: You may do this, however it is important to pre-filter the air before pushing it into the filter. If you choose to setup your filter this way, remove the pre-filter from the outside of the carbon filter and fabricate to fit before or after the fan. This way the air will be cleaned of larger debris before passing through the carbon, thus prolonging the life of the filter.

So, in conclusion, WTF does non-reversible actually MEAN

NotaProfessor

So, in conclusion, WTF does non-reversible actually MEAN

I would say that is a typo. Even the description in the link provided says it's reversible:
PROfilter uses an innovative patented design allowing the user to reverse the filter, benefitting from the use of 100% of the carbon available and effectively extending the units’ life span.

Fuggedaboutit...you're all good.

joe guy

The top flange and bottom cap are removable I believe so you can flip the filter cause they say most of the scrubbing happens near the top half of the filter. In turn clogging it with dust and what not with those filters reversible means flippable so yeha at least that's how I understood it when I talked to the rep at the growshow last year.. Their reversible or flippable they should say filters have the trade mark red end caps they are pretty sexy to be honest..

joe guy

And yes I have a big ass phresh filter they are pretty nice I have no complaints and my neighbors have no clue what's in the shed just over their fence..

Jhhnn

Veteran
Thanks guys my confidence level has been tremendously boosted so far.

Should any 4" ducting that I buy from a hydro shop be sufficient? Anything in particular to look for there?

Also, 1 more thing. I was thinking it might be safer to do a longer run once I get into my attic so as to place the fan/filter at the rear of my house instead of immediately above the front porch which is where the closet is above.

But that would involve running the line probably 20 feet or more. Would that be cool? You can see now what I cannot have ANY smell AT ALL...because it would be exhausting literally feet from my front porch. I hope these carbon filters are really truly 99.5% effective, and that 0.5% won't creep.... like I said, my grow will be very tiny (micro probably 70 or 100 watts) but still...

If you're making long runs, up size the ducting to maintain airflow. If your attic has venting, (it probably does) just vent to the attic thru the carbon filter.

D

dark horse

If you're making long runs, up size the ducting to maintain airflow. If your attic has venting, (it probably does) just vent to the attic thru the carbon filter.

How long is a long run? is 25 feet considered long?

By the way, what's the best tool to use to cut ducting? just scissors?

joe guy

For a 4 inch fan fan yes I'd say that was a lot I have a 6 inch full throttle for maybe 8 ft max.. But my neighbor is a feen beyond belife.. Not worried about cops just a very very needy neighbor that's very very very broke but not to stray off topic yes 25 ft is a pretty long run for a 4 inch IMHO but I prefer over kill with a fan speed controller..

Latest posts

Latest posts