What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Running a single bulb on a 2 bulb ballast

Slim Pickens

Veteran
A generic application question please? I have a Fluorescent T12 fixture,that both bulbs have burned out of. I couldn't find any replacement T12 bulbs. The helpful "associate" suggested buying their replacement LED bulbs which the package states will replace T12 40w Bulbs which is what I need. I bought and installed the bulbs and they seem to work fine, but they are WAAAY too bright for my old eyes.

Can I get by with just running one bulb on that ballast?

Anyone know for sure?

Last edited:

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
A generic application question please? I have a Fluorescent T12 fixture,that both bulbs have burned out of. I couldn't find any replacement T12 bulbs. The helpful "associate" suggested buying their replacement LED bulbs which the package states will replace T12 40w Bulbs which is what I need. I bought and installed the bulbs and they seem to work fine, but they are WAAAY too bright for my old eyes.

Can I get by with just running one bulb on that ballast?

Anyone know for sure?
NO using only one bulb won't work plus it is not safe. It's not going to hurt anything using both bulbs just raise them high at first. Your plants will love the extra lumens after they get used to it. Just keep an eye on the heat of the new LED tubes. Those new bulbs are really a good move in the right direction and that's why you can't get the ole ones anymore.

Three Berries

More than likely the LED is made to use the voltage and amperage a typical florescent ballast puts out. The load is the LED. As long as it is not in excess of the florescent lamp the ballast designed for it will work. Many old fixtures though may need rewiring to work with one bulb.

Slim Pickens

Veteran
If I were being honest, I'd admit that these bulbs are being used in the kitchen,and they are so bright that I can't deal with it. I just couldn't find a decent answer on the interweb. Further, the idea of having LED'S shoved down my throat is maddening (same thing a few years back when we were forced into fluorescent bulbs), but that is a topic for another day. I use LED's in my grow space, but I don't spend any time "under" the lights.

Three Berries

I have several fluorescents of all three kinds of LED replacements. Magnetic ballast, electronic ballast and no ballast. I just look for the ones that need straight wall voltage and eliminate the watt consuming ballast.