What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

run off

DONAJTHEIII

no need for any special product unclecrash ! if you feel like they have been fed to much I would do a half strength nute flush and then slowly work your way back up. Also if you feel like there overwatered a little h202 will help theres diff percentages but I wouldnt go above 29% i use 2-3ml per gal of water when overwatered and they perk right back up within 24 hours oxygen molecule goes crazy when it hits water. You can constantly use it if you dont really care about microbe life and run a so called " dead rez". Thats why I dont like to get clones from other people there 50/50 had way more bad exp. than good exp. sadly now its just me my mom and I. I can totally say that its way better because you know what you because you were the little ones creator.

AJAE

Unclecrash

like everyone else said here run off is important in coco. also if you really want to check ph of coco slurry test a bit with some ro water. i like to check runoff ppm/ec to make sure its good like someone mentioned here the ec shouldnt be more than 20% of what your putting in. Also dont go for constant heavy runoffs with young ladies you want them to dry out and be gentle with them so they catch their roots. once they catch their roots those ladies can drink a ton its honestly amazing sometimes lol. happy growing peace love and coco.

ps: every couple weeks a flush with half strength nutes doesnt hurt if your than worried about things get build up etc.

AJAE

Well Im A bit concerned as I been feeding at first up by 2ec now Im down to 1ec but my runoff is @ 1.4 in a few of my Coco grows. I been trying to get them down the last few feeds. Im going to feed @.5 ec and see if they start getting lower on run off. Funny thing is They are still doing great but am wondering why someone said to not flush with no nutes in the CoCo wondering why if I keep @ 1 or .5 shouldn't this help get the ec back down. I would thing doing a straight water flush ph'ed I would think this would get it down quicker. Am I even doing this correct I am taking the ec of nute solution then taking the runoff ec and subtracting the nute ec from it is this correct?

stoned40yrs

Ripped since 1965
Veteran
Well Im A bit concerned as I been feeding at first up by 2ec now Im down to 1ec but my runoff is @ 1.4 in a few of my Coco grows. I been trying to get them down the last few feeds. Im going to feed @.5 ec and see if they start getting lower on run off. Funny thing is They are still doing great but am wondering why someone said to not flush with no nutes in the CoCo wondering why if I keep @ 1 or .5 shouldn't this help get the ec back down. I would thing doing a straight water flush ph'ed I would think this would get it down quicker. Am I even doing this correct I am taking the ec of nute solution then taking the runoff ec and subtracting the nute ec from it is this correct?

No, you are not doing it correct. You need to do a slurry test to find the ec of the rootzone. Waste of time trying to read runoff.
Why are you screwing around with anything if the plants look great? You want some problems, run a straight phed water flush through them and strip the cocos cation balance. :tiphat:

Unclecrash

No dont want a water problem, That is why Im asking the fuckin question's. Because one person says this another says that,the reason Im asking is Im not sure. How do I do a slurry or F it and just keep feeding them. I thought you told me to keep the ec within .2 of the feed Im so confused. Im just worried that my plants will lock up like the few Tahoe's I got given to me. I keep lowering the ec of the feed on them to get them going again one is real bad the others are still ok.

dansbuds

Retired from the workforce Bullshit
ICMag Donor
Veteran
picture.php

stoned40yrs

Ripped since 1965
Veteran
No dont want a water problem, That is why Im asking the fuckin question's. Because one person says this another says that,the reason Im asking is Im not sure. How do I do a slurry or F it and just keep feeding them. I thought you told me to keep the ec within .2 of the feed Im so confused. Im just worried that my plants will lock up like the few Tahoe's I got given to me. I keep lowering the ec of the feed on them to get them going again one is real bad the others are still ok.

Keep the ec going in around 1.0, are you sure you ph is correct and you are not over or underwatering?

DONAJTHEIII

Ok uncle if you reread my post above I said flush with half strength nutes my half strength would be .6 ec. I would def do this especially if there that green then your ec will for sure drop to around 1.0 . 1.4 is way to high as a run off. You dont flush with water only until late flower flush because it throws off the coco properties/ratios like youve heard and mentioned. Also I never go above 1.2 ec period.

also If there getting dark green I back of to 3/4 strength aka 1.0 ec so that they dont get to the point of full on nitrogen tox. that shit takes awhile for them to come back from in my exp. run off 20% and checking coco runoff as I mentioned is very helpful ppm wise not so much Ph wise in my exp. Throw in a half strength feeding or light flush if youd like to call it that every couple of weeks to be safe and your good to go.

So ultimately give them a watering of around .6 ec slowly work your way back up .2 ec at a time sounds safe but slowly you need to keep and eye on them and theyll slowly but surely start to lighten up and the dark green will turn into the healthy kind of green. work your way up slowly but def need a half strength flush from what your describing.

IMPORTANT ! : once roots are established dont let it dry out too much or it will cause buildup so when you water next time old nutes will still be there and your ppms will sky rocket ! especially with nutes like gen hydro in a medium like coco. Drying out will fuck you so hard once roots are established.

AJAE

AJAE

Miraculous Meds

Ok uncle if you reread my post above I said flush with half strength nutes my half strength would be .6 ec. I would def do this especially if there that green then your ec will for sure drop to around 1.0 . 1.4 is way to high as a run off. You dont flush with water only until late flower flush because it throws off the coco properties/ratios like youve heard and mentioned. Also I never go above 1.2 ec period.

also If there getting dark green I back of to 3/4 strength aka 1.0 ec so that they dont get to the point of full on nitrogen tox. that shit takes awhile for them to come back from in my exp. run off 20% and checking coco runoff as I mentioned is very helpful ppm wise not so much Ph wise in my exp. Throw in a half strength feeding or light flush if youd like to call it that every couple of weeks to be safe and your good to go.

So ultimately give them a watering of around .6 ec slowly work your way back up .2 ec at a time sounds safe but slowly you need to keep and eye on them and theyll slowly but surely start to lighten up and the dark green will turn into the healthy kind of green. work your way up slowly but def need a half strength flush from what your describing.

IMPORTANT ! : once roots are established dont let it dry out too much or it will cause buildup so when you water next time old nutes will still be there and your ppms will sky rocket ! especially with nutes like gen hydro in a medium like coco. Drying out will fuck you so hard once roots are established.

AJAE

AJAE

everything stated here is pretty much spot on. Except I wouldn't stress about runoff of 1.4. if they are deep green just back off like aj said here.

Miraculous Meds

Straight water will replace the existing balance of nutrients in ur medium. that's why u don't flush with straight water. Also some nutrients like a 1/4 strength solution will pull more nutrients out during a flush anyway vs straight water.

Unclecrash

No My ph is fine I have two of the same. I only use the one, but if for some reason I think it's off I check it against the other. And if they go don't agree with each other I break out the calibrating solution. A poor man's way of doing it. Head alway's said you cannot over water, but I do have to get another room put together for the veg as I just hooked up a fan to help with circulation because the temp is low from the AC so struggling to dry out. Im opening the flower room to help with temp in the rest of the veg room. I think when we switch from AC to Heat I will be OK. For now I been watering the Tahoe's every second or third day and am going to continue to water at 1.0ec and will try the slurry test on one of the ones that are sick and one that is thriving to see what results I find out.

Unclecrash

AJAE

AJAE

Nitrogen Tox is exactly what I think they have done to the Tahoe Clone's I was given. I have three starting to go that were dark and twisted they have flattened out and are growing slowly. The fourth is the worst and I have been doint the lower feeds.

DONAJTHEIII

Your good just slowly work it back up this is why I like to only like to cut clones off my mother instead of getting someones mistreated crap. Only trust a handful of people at most and thats pushing it already aha you got it just take it nice and slow. treat them right theyll treat you right

AJAE

Unclecrash

Ya these are good peep's who gave them to me they just don't know what the f there doing like me:biggrin: but have enough funds to throw away 35 at a time after buying them and not even sweat it. I wish I could afford my count of 12 good one's to start with.

S

Saiksonas

My Hm ec-3 meter shows 752 for my tap water, is that means ec=0.752?? Ph is 7, any advice how deal with that??

Snow Crash

Veteran
I agree, a 0.752 EC is pretty nasty. The most I will top out on is 0.6 EC.

My tap comes in at 0.45 EC to 0.54 EC depending on the day. It has worked fine with my CANNA systems so I don't think you need to be overly concerned about filtering ALL the water.

Here's what I would get:
Hydrologic Stealth-RO 100
Stealth-RO 100 1:1 Flow Restrictor
Hydrologic Float Valve for Stealth RO
Hydrologic 1/4" Quick Connect Garden Hose connector

So what you have here is a RO system with a 1:1 waste water ratio that you can connect to a garden hose and allow to run until the float valve turns it off.

You could optionally swap the garden hose connector for:
Hydrologic Feed Valve Tee
Hydrologic 1/4" Quick Connect Drain Saddle

And this way you could set it up under a sink and send the waste water right back down the pipes.

Then it is just a matter of mixing in enough of your straight tap water to the RO filtered water to bring the EC back up around 0.2 to 0.4 EC for your starting solution.

Miraculous Meds

I agree, a 0.752 EC is pretty nasty. The most I will top out on is 0.6 EC.

My tap comes in at 0.45 EC to 0.54 EC depending on the day. It has worked fine with my CANNA systems so I don't think you need to be overly concerned about filtering ALL the water.

Here's what I would get:
Hydrologic Stealth-RO 100
Stealth-RO 100 1:1 Flow Restrictor
Hydrologic Float Valve for Stealth RO
Hydrologic 1/4" Quick Connect Garden Hose connector

So what you have here is a RO system with a 1:1 waste water ratio that you can connect to a garden hose and allow to run until the float valve turns it off.

You could optionally swap the garden hose connector for:
Hydrologic Feed Valve Tee
Hydrologic 1/4" Quick Connect Drain Saddle

And this way you could set it up under a sink and send the waste water right back down the pipes.

Then it is just a matter of mixing in enough of your straight tap water to the RO filtered water to bring the EC back up around 0.2 to 0.4 EC for your starting solution.

I don't understand the point of adding tap water back to ro water that u just spent all that money of filtering. Add precisely the nutrients u want and know exactly ur ratio of nutrients, this makes solving nute probs a breeze. It generally makes it so there is no nute probs.

Snow Crash

Veteran
I don't understand the point of adding tap water back to ro water that u just spent all that money of filtering. Add precisely the nutrients u want and know exactly ur ratio of nutrients, this makes solving nute probs a breeze. It generally makes it so there is no nute probs.

Well, I can make 10 gallons of RO water, and 10 gallons of waste water. Or, I can make 5 gallons of RO water, 5 gallons of waste water, then add 5 gallons back.

Where I am, we are in a drought. Saving 25% of the water, and not unnecessarily buying a bottle of elements to add back in, are all ways of saving money and taking a lower impact on the environment.

By limiting the amount of water going through the RO membrane by 1/2 we also extend the time between filter replacements by twice as long. Let's say he gets 1,250 gallons before replacing the carbon filter and membrane. The cost of the RO water per gallon is about $0.14 when we add in the full starting setup. So, the grower could spend $1.40 on a 10 gallon reservoir, plus the cost of Cal-Mag, or the grower could spend $0.70 on 5 gallons of RO plus a few pennies for 5 gallons of tap. After the filter replacement of about $65 the cost drops to only $0.0528 per gallon.

Cheaper is better. Less impact is better.