What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Run #5, Grimm situation in the big tent

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
I started the sprouts on a 18/6 light schedule, still under the baby lights making roots. The big tent is getting a new filter, cleaned, and the perlite rinsed off so the wick bed is fresh. Annual maintenance.

DSC01476.JPG

The replacement Apollo seems to be the runt of the litter so far. I'll put them in their 10 gallon bags when the leaves indicate the roots are ready. I like them outside the cup dripline.

DSC01474.JPG

Last edited:

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
I put them in the 10 gallon bags of recycled soil. The roots were just past the Dixie cup edges, as were the leaves. They coulda been in the Dixie cups a few more days, but I was not controlling the time on the T-5 sprouter, so it was best to move. I added some BAS 12 clover seed, scratched in to the surface with grokashi, craft blend, and covered with top dress. Rootwise microbe complete inoculation by top water, with the reservoir water plus aloe. I will top water until the leaves indicate good roots. 80 umoles for now and 18/6. Umoles will increase with plant growth. I am gonna pinch these a few times and let them run. We'll see who's boss in there.

DSC01485.JPG
Gonna put a humidifier in there too.

The airflow into this tent needs to be force fed from the lung room, not pulled through by the exit fans. Filtration is a must.

Three Berries

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
I started in dixie cups. The soil is wet, but there is a gradient as the moisture settles down. I top-water until the roots are big enough to suck in their own from the wick bed. The humidity is a lot wetter because the leaves are doing the drinking for now. The goodies I top dressed in will do for now. Maybe I will start feeding fish fert in a week, when the leaves indicate good roots. These plants have already started spreading roots judging from the leaf drip line expanding.

So, top water just what is in the rez (cal-mag and pH to 6.3), plus aloe and microbes, for now. Let those roots have a chance to grow. Not too much light that the roots aren't there to support. They are at 120 umoles now.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
When the plants get a little bigger I will top dress, and that will pretty much take care of the weeds. They make for good root action to get thigs kicked off, I think.

This morning the lights were OFF because the humidity/temp had gone way too high, and the controller shut them off. I opened the tent and it was a fog inside from all the moisture. The huey had gone crazy. They had a tropical rainstorm last night.

If it ain't one thing, it's another. About 300 umoles, still 18/6.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC01504.JPG Views:	0 Size:	277.7 KB ID:	18106649 Killer Queen (KQ). The best of the bunch looks wise, so far. Thick main stalk.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC01506.JPG Views:	0 Size:	258.8 KB ID:	18106650 Apollo. Shortest of the bunch, has always been the runt.
Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC01504.JPG Views:	0 Size:	277.7 KB ID:	18106649 Princess Haze (PH)
Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC01507.JPG Views:	0 Size:	268.0 KB ID:	18106652 Bangi Haze (BH)

CosmicGiggle

Veteran
You're really going to appreciate the Killer Queen, mine turned out just as frosty as the pics, alla the way down to the tiny popcorn buds at the bottom!

:tiphat: Smelled great with a really great high, in spite of taking her way to early. :good:

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
You're really going to appreciate the Killer Queen, mine turned out just as frosty as the pics, alla the way down to the tiny popcorn buds at the bottom!

:tiphat: Smelled great with a really great high, in spite of taking her way to early. :good:

I hope so. Mr Flower also said it was good, and that is why I am running these. I FIM'd that one, and it is confused.

I believe my problem with frost is temperature. My tents get up to 85*, and I try to handle the rH to match the VPD chart for the stage of growth. I need to cool down the tents when they are in flower, the hottest light time. The best way I can see is to build a fan / filter box to jam air in the bottom of the tent. Then keep the lung room cool.

Three Berries

If you have room water is a great heat moderator (the best there is). Just keeping 5 gallons in a small tent really makes a difference. I'm trying to come up with a hard flat narrow container that I could lay on the floor and not raise the plants too high. Or to stand up along a way. Milk crates hold 5-1 gallon jugs. A stack of them with water jugs would be great if I had the room.

Or a small radiator, fan, pump and chilled water. The water would need to just be below the temp in the tent. Nothing dramatic. Small oil cooler would work for a small tent. Beware the cheap tube and fin.

Or you could make a box outside with a bigger radiator and fan and do a recirculation with it going out and back into the tent. Bigger the water supply the less need to handle the heat it gains.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
I am glad you popped in! On my first run I used wet tee shirts hanging on the wall. I manually wet them, sometimes by the shower. The heat of evaporation and the evaporated moisture seemed to keep VPD in the range. Maybe I need to revisit the idea of a 'wet wall', with the water spray onto it controlled by an Inkbird, a pump, and some sprinkler heads on 1/2" tube.

But first I need the inlet air fan/filters.

Three Berries

If it's a large tent or area I would be making a box with radiator and some sort of water tank with pumps. You could filter and treat the air for heat and humidity all with the same setup. Even here in the humid Midwest they use the water chillers that rely in evaporation. That requires open air though. But with the cyclical nature of cannabis heat cycles and lighting you could make it so it both absorbs heat when the lights are on and releases it when the lights are off. no need for cooling the water if sized right.

Latest posts

Latest posts