What's new

Rubbing seeds on the sides of match boxes.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It's not necessary but helps on certain seed. I can't tell you who's germd more seeds but I've been germing seeds since 1993 so I've had my share also. Have you tryed it before on seed that won't germ normally? Do you have that experience? I don't usually do it unless it calls for it so I usually go to paper towels but I have 1000's of old seed that I can document for you if you want and we can compare the results.

hi snype, if you read my first post in the thread (number 14 i think) i do mention that old seeds are an exception. it can help with these although i think a little seaweed in the water is a better way to start with (increased nitrogen in the water has been shown to help germination of old seeds). i have also found that cannabis seeds which have been scarified tend to show up more hermies further down the road which is another reason why i dont think it is to be recommended. as i said, raising the temp slightly after a few days seems to give them the gentle kick they need from my experience.
i started growing in the late 80's myself and also have some old seeds from that era which i am going to try and pop soon.

with seeds as in most aspects of growing i feel that the approach which allows the least intervention is usually best. just my opinion

cheers

V.

dan_kass

I know what you're gettin at Hoosier but to be fair to Snype don't you think the quote should read
...I've been germing seeds since 1993 so I've had my share also. Have you tryed it before on seed that won't germ normally? Do you have that experience?

I don't think he was asking Verdant if he's been crackin beans since '93...just sayin'.

~dan

DocLeaf

procreationist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i would wager that docleaf has grown more plants and popped more seeds than most of us, and he is right that scarification is not necessary with cannabis seeds. you are more likely to damage the seed than to give it better chances of germination. as i said earlier it is a horticultural practice used for certain seeds which have a coating that has to break down by microbial action before water gets into the seeds - making them take a long time to pop unless scarified.

Indeed. Nice post :yes:

We fully agree seed scarification is common practise with certain (mainly large) seeds,, but as you point out,, not with the seed of cannabis :yes:

Snype : This isn't a competition to see whose sown the most seeds.. or for longest (lol) we've ALL sown a few,, out of x500 packs helping test Growdoc seeds... to the 1000's before and after from 100's of different breeders,, ganja seeds are ganja seeds ,, the good ones grow and stand out ,, no sand paper required :canabis:

Old seeds usually grow weedy or weak or mutated,, why bother with them ?

If they dont grow indoors they get thrown outside and left to fend for themselves.. kill or cure,, again no sandpaper involved :joint:

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
i wanna know who originally suggested the paper towel method was the best way to germ seeds.
I don't know who originally suggested it... but I can theorize on how it started.

Q: What's the quickest way to determine the germination rate of several thousand seeds?
A: Put 100 of them in a paper towel and keep it damp for a few days. Count the number of seeds that sprout successfully and you have your germination rate.

Q: What's the quickest way to start some free plants?
A: Ask your breeder friend "Hey Uhh... you gonna throw out those seeds in that paper towel?"

Fast forward a couple months

Q: How do I sprout these seeds?
A: My buddy sprouted mine in a paper towel he kept damp.

And wallah.... The future destructor of (probably) billions of seeds was formed and begun to be passed around the community.

DocLeaf said:
Old seeds usually grow weedy or weak or mutated,, why bother with them ?
Some of us don't have seeds coming out of our ears, thanks. Do you remember those times?

Stay Safe! :tree:

Edit: For the record... I always use a 100grit piece of sandpaper, rolled up in a tube, to scarify my seeds. I also get a near 100% germination rate... even on damaged seeds that normally would be around 50-60%. I believe it allows the seed to absorb the water faster and sprout... It speeds the time frame and increases the probability of survival. Enough of them grow out to be great plants that it's definitely worth it.

STRAINZ

I gotta tell u guys, the method that I use is out of Jorge Cervantes's book....

First you place a very small piece of sandpaper into an empty match box. Then you place the seed/s in the matchbox and lightly shake for a few seconds. The seeds rub against the sandpaper which causes microscratches on the seed. Then place the seed/s in a glass of water for 18-24 hours. Not sure if the book recommends this, but I then place any seed/s that have germed in a damp paper towel!

I know this seems to go against what most have posted on this thread, but this has worked for me for about 4 years at over 95% success...

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
to be fair, as long as your seed sowing ritual works for you near 100% and is efficient then you should stick to it :D

V.

Snype

Veteran
I know what you're gettin at Hoosier but to be fair to Snype don't you think the quote should read

I don't think he was asking Verdant if he's been crackin beans since '93...just sayin'.

~dan
Yeah for real that was taken out of context and tried to make it seem like I was saying something else which I was clearly not. We are simply having a debate. We obviously have had different experiences. I agree it's not a contest, it's about educating the masses from experience and not putting info out there that will make people think that certain things are wrong when sometimes they are not.

RetroGrow

Veteran
i wanna know who originally suggested the paper towel method was the best way to germ seeds. It's ok for really fresh seeds and cress, but i agree with what other people have said...

compost is better!

i too get 95% with a little water soak then straight into compost.

Not even close to 50% with the paper towel before it either dries out or rots.

In the end nature's way's the best way.

Also, a few drops of bleach per glass of water when you are soaking the seeds stops them rotting/going mouldy, allowing them to stay healthy longer whilst they are germinating........IN COMPOST!

I have to laugh when I hear people knock the paper towel method. I have been using it for 40 years, and works every time. Just got 100% germination on 21 seeds with that method. If you are getting only 50%, you are doing something wrong. You do know that the towel has to remain moist? I put them in towel, and then a ziplock bag.
Works every time. No need to change.....
More than one way to skin a cat, and there are many methods to germ seeds. Basically, if you moisten them, they will pop. If seeds are fresh, that is more important than the method used. Whatever floats your boat.....
:tiphat:

AOD2012

I have the key, now i need to find the lock..
Veteran
i also agree that the paper towel method works great. i dont have any where near the experience that most of you do, but the ten or so times i have germed batches of seeds, i always used moist paper towels in a nice warm dark place and have had like 99% germ rate. just my .02

Frozenguy

Veteran
The seed was designed the way it was supposed to be by the plant!!! Nature has a way and a reason for doing something. I agree you shouldn't skuff up your seeds. Sends shivers up my back when I hear about this..

I love the question

"Is it ok to put my seeds directly into soil?"

:wallbash::bashhead: Drives me nuts..

I've done the paper towel method with and without the shotglass soaking. It works, BUT....

I have found a seed will germ in soil if its going to germ in a paper towel. Why? Because they both are holding enough moisture around the seedling if done properly. (I cover my seedling containers with plastic, and covered the paper towel when used).

The problem with the paper towel is it dries out faster then soil, doesn't buffer temperature as well as soil, requires transplanting within the first 48 hours of tap root development which doesn't sound good to me (especially because 80% of the people, if not more, who perform this method do it barehanded). Also, light can penetrate a paper towel, I'm sure some/most of you cover it up with something opaque, but a lot dont. And when you go to transplant, again you are subjecting the tap root to climate changes, friction, finger oils or other contaminants, and light..

With soil, the seed just does its thing undisturbed, and is why its more often a faster method then paper towel.

I see no point in the paper towel method unless you are doing hydro and dont want to use rockwool.

BTW, I have grown hundreds if not 1000+ seeds of various strains/breeders/ages.

Frozenguy :tiphat: :smokeit:

BTW..I also say that I do use the paper towel method almost daily, but for other seeds. Seeds I eat lol..

Hey, aren't cannabis seeds good for you? I know they are second to soy in protein right? And have a lot of amino acids and some that are only found in mothers breast milk?

If I got a seed crop of some stupid bag seeds or something you think it would be a good nutrient supplement?

h.h.

Veteran
When using paper towel 100% of my pots are producing when planted. It's a convenience thing. Barehanded and all.

sneakinman13

Veteran
im with ya doc. i stick straight into a smalllll cup of soil. have 100 percent germ ratio. unless the seeds where not ready yet, or just weak seeds in general....

Frozenguy

Veteran
When using paper towel 100% of my pots are producing when planted. It's a convenience thing. Barehanded and all.

What do you mean?

If you mean you are getting 100% germ rate, so am I. I use soil for convenience as the paper towel method is very time consuming. Takes more work then soil germination. I like to keep it simple.

If you are having trouble with soil, but paper towel is working for you, I can almost guarentee you its one or a combination of two things.

1.) Your soil is drying out too fast (you didn't cover it with plastic, didn't give it a good enough initial watering, planted seedling too shallow; should be 2cm deep)
2.) Your temp is too low

There is no magical power of a paper towel. Its just easier to saturate. I think people dont saturate their medium enough for germination. I have found you cant over water a seed; a seedling yes, but not a seed.