What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

RRS - Improved Breeding for Closet Hacks

Owl Mirror

Veteran
Hi OM,

Progeny testing reveals which traits are passed on. Yes, "best" is dependent on the individuals point of view. Your third point "adaptability" (also mentioned by Vic above) is a good one and true, but to varying degrees in different lines is the point. A line with high adaptability is one that expresses its desired phenotypes in a wide range of environments.-T

So the person who comes up with seeds of a plant that can be tortured by a novice as well as the experienced indoor/hydro/guerrilla grower, would offer the Holy Grail ?

I think it may be possible to grow a strain in different regions of the planet, achieving equal results but, somehow I don't think anyone will ever conquer the closet.

DocLeaf

procreationist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sorry I must be blind...

Thanks Tom and Kopite

RRS = Reciprocal Recurrent Selection

K

kopite

I think the following notes go with the closet RRS that i posted

Attachments

• fig1 vic.jpg
    fig1 vic.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 32
  • fig2 vic.jpg
    fig2 vic.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 31

Mr. Greengenes

Re-incarnated Senior Member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"what I don't really have as much comprehension of is the specific 'roadmaps' that breeders might use when working a new line/lines from scratch."

This is more to the point. All this talk about punnet squares and 'complex genotypes' is fine as a spectator sport, but what we REAL breeders deal with is mainly pedigrees, or 'roadmaps'. Of course, a pedigree is a way of looking backwards, and the only way to do that is to have some work under your belt. When you've done lots of work in some field, you can easily spot the others who have done similar work. The ones 'who know' have that backwards looking perspective down to a science. The ones who don't go on and on about theories.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"what I don't really have as much comprehension of is the specific 'roadmaps' that breeders might use when working a new line/lines from scratch."

This is more to the point. All this talk about punnet squares and 'complex genotypes' is fine as a spectator sport, but what we REAL breeders deal with is mainly pedigrees, or 'roadmaps'. Of course, a pedigree is a way of looking backwards, and the only way to do that is to have some work under your belt. When you've done lots of work in some field, you can easily spot the others who have done similar work. The ones 'who know' have that backwards looking perspective down to a science. The ones who don't go on and on about theories.

hey Mr G! - i know i've said this to you before and you gave me some good info, but i really think you should tell us all the story of your 40 odd years breeding IBL's etc and your selection methods. That kind of experience is gold dust. Where i live i got an allotment (not sure what you call them over there - a bit of land you rent and grow crops) one of the main reasons was to learn from the old-timers that had been doing it for years. That kind of info is easily lost - especially with a plant that is illegal in most places.

V.

Owl Mirror

Veteran
I'm curious, would this computer program be useful with regards to the topic being discussed?

This free software allows to make a complete follow-up of its selections, its crosses, its plants, its stems, seeds and the other plants mothers or cuttings.

It allows monitoring on all the necessary parameters, it also manages the genealogy of plants, as well as the addition of photos.

http://velvet2k8.weebly.com/download.html

9763640.png

DocLeaf

procreationist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm curious, would this computer program be useful with regards to the topic being discussed?

http://velvet2k8.weebly.com/download.html

9763640.png

Nice post. :yes: Yes it might work... it's Medels theory online ... :D

Computer programs do not account for Chaos Theorem (the butterfly effect)... neither did Mendels theory,, mainly because nature isn't static and sure doesn't always fit in with binary code !

What we call "Rogues" (the genetic throwbacks) are incalculable,, and sometimes the best plants to work with :canabis:

Remember,, Mendel had to kill the bees!

Peace n love

K

kopite

to me the best anology I can come up with to relate this is that of a soldier, would you send him to war empty handed and without info on the enemy or would he be better prepared with all the weapons/tools at his disposal and the knowledge to be prepared ?

I'm here to learn from the likes of yourselves that have been through things before us, somtimes its hard to decipher the gold from the mud.. and some seem to like muddying the waters... I think any info from those who walked before us is appreciated..

Kopite

CharlesU Farley

Is Vic still around? I sure do miss his posts.

Mr.G,

That is Vic's little intro to quantitative genetic theory (biometrical genetics), the thorn in the side of breeders everywhere. Basically he is making the point that many traits of biological and economic importance are very complexly inherited as apposed to under the control of so-called major genes. He is stating that it is rare for complex genotypes to consistently transmit their phenotypic value to their progeny, so best to lay down as many bets as possible or create many families towards the same goal. In the end perhaps one of these families might be successful. That's how I'm reading it anyway. -T
I know this guy was an asshole to many people, got banned, and I don't know shit about haze (except for the story of the Haze bros and Sam somehow getting involved) but Tom Hill _understands_ developing cannabis, for reasons other than trichome coatings and yield.

He took Vic High's writing, which is basically Mendel and R C Clark written in an understandable way, and makes it even more coherent, for the typical cannabis forum reader.

Sometimes you _learn_ from assholes, it's just too bad they're assholes and get banned. Mods, many thanks for not totally erasing his presence here and deleting these exceedingly valuable posts.

I wish I could write as clearly and succinctly as he does. o_O

Last edited:

CharlesU Farley

cool stuff to stumble upon, thanks for the bump charles.
edit: i think i heard vic high passed away.
Him and OT1 both. Just like the early stars of rock and roll, everybody's getting old and dying.

Tom Hill was is certainly a complicated individual, that's for sure. But then again so was Nevil, Owsley, and Hunter S. Thompson. ;) And I'm aware Neville and Tom certainly didn't see eye to eye... at all. 😂

The Usenet group alt.drugs.pot.cultivation and the BCGA website were instrumental in taking me from cultivating cannabis to actually developing it.

I absolutely hate that 99% of cannabis growers have never heard of Vic High. :(

Last edited:

zaprjaques

Him and OT1 both. Just like the early stars of rock and roll, everybody's getting old and dying.

Tom Hill was is certainly a complicated individual, that's for sure. But then again so was Nevil, Owsley, and Hunter S. Thompson. ;) And I'm aware Neville and Tom certainly didn't see eye to eye... at all. 😂

The Usenet group alt.drugs.pot.cultivation and the BCGA website were instrumental in taking me from cultivating cannabis to actually developing it.

I absolutely hate that 99% of cannabis growers have never heard of Vic High. :(
i'm not much of a smoker (almost daily but only minute amounts, sometimes mixed with cbd, mellow all day medicine for me) neither much of a grower (life circumstances and family related)
but i'm very passionate and eager to learn, so i try and soak up a lot of infos.
you probably have experienced it yourself, when you go at it with passion learning and memorizing is a lot easier.. wether its practices, theory, history, whatever. stuff like adding sodium molybdanate at 1ppm to make it easier for purple plants to express this trait. not that it matters, but i find it interesting so it sticks.
i like the potcast podcast, thats where i heard of vic high, from chimera, because he said vic high gave him a special cut of cali-o(?) that was a solid 5 on all attributes like growth, yeild, potency, flavour etc. to compare against other varieties when breeding.

Latest posts

Latest posts