What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Round milky "eggs" under leaves?? what are these things

RetroGrow

Veteran
Yeah man I have read that entire thread all 150+ pages... I have been dealing with this shit for a while... I have ruled out and tested for almost everything imaginable ( N tox, Mg def, Ca def, Heat, etc...) and have narrowed it down to mites, the mythical TMV, or a mutation... just introduced a new strain so I guess I will find out soon enough...

My only question with it being a natural part of the plant is that it is not everywhere or balanced... I will find them in one area or on one leaf, then not see any for a bit, they are not bunched together but they are not everywhere...

Trichomes would be everywhere, so if you are just seeing them in isolated places, they are eggs. Are the leaves looking damaged where you see them?
There is also a "new" form of dudding which some people are reporting, but there is no consensus or lab tests to prove what it is. You might look @ that "dud" thread to see if any of the pictures look familiar.

RetroGrow

Veteran
Oh yeah and they are only on the bottom of the leaf... not on the top...

Yup. Eggs only found on bottom of leaves. Cut some effected leaves off and scope for awhile to see if you can make out any mites. It might take a while to actually see mites.

Chronikus

Should I be able to see the mites and eggs with a cheap ecoplus 100x microscope easily??

I think I see something but it is hard to tell... the only thing I see clearly is those round milky white things... I think I can see some things that look like broad mite eggs but they are almost too small to see with the 100x so I am second guessing myself...

Chronikus

So over the last 3 days I have spent probably a full hour or two looking down this 100x microscope and looked at 50-100 different leafs. Some from fully flowered plants and some from vegging plants and I haven't been able to confirm anything yet or see anything difinative

Bigbux82

Cronicus- Your posts are like my stream of thought for the past 2 months and longer. "Eggs, trichomes...am I crazy"??? Second and triple guessing yourself and what-not. This shit is the devil. Without looking at any pics I'm putting money that I think they are eggs my friend. Your story sounds way too similar..though more details might change things. Here are some of my pics...tell me if yours are the same.
most pics are 200x mag.

RetroGrow

Veteran
Should I be able to see the mites and eggs with a cheap ecoplus 100x microscope easily??

I think I see something but it is hard to tell... the only thing I see clearly is those round milky white things... I think I can see some things that look like broad mite eggs but they are almost too small to see with the 100x so I am second guessing myself...

Yes. Get a little LED flashlight and shine it on the specimen you are scoping, or some other bright light.

Chronikus

Yes. Get a little LED flashlight and shine it on the specimen you are scoping, or some other bright light.

The microscope I have does has a light on it... But if those pics above by bigbux are at 200x I doubt I am really seeing them with my cheap 100x... It is possible that the strain has mutated but I just want to be 100% sure it is not the BMs

The stress is getting to me

headees

Im going through the same thing. Except Ive actually seen the mites. Still have trouble telling the difference between trichs and eggs though. Im using a 60x scope so its tough.

xxxstr8edgexxx

Veteran
Im going through the same thing. Except Ive actually seen the mites. Still have trouble telling the difference between trichs and eggs though. Im using a 60x scope so its tough.

yeah i here ya. its a worthwhile investment to be able to see the enemy though.youll save on trouble effort and anxiety and if you catch em early on harvests too.

lilac.rain

What is your humidity? Leaves will often canoe as well trying to retain moisture and bring water towards the stem, I've also had plants in coco that locked out ca/mg , they were over 10ft tall and foliar fed them cal mag amongst other things at least once a day, and it would reverse the taco temporarily. Broad mites that late in flower will eat your pistils, turn them prematurely dead. I saw some flowers that had BM's late in the game and it barely looked like weeds.

Sluicebox

Cronicus- Your posts are like my stream of thought for the past 2 months and longer. "Eggs, trichomes...am I crazy"??? Second and triple guessing yourself and what-not. This shit is the devil. Without looking at any pics I'm putting money that I think they are eggs my friend. Your story sounds way too similar..though more details might change things. Here are some of my pics...tell me if yours are the same.[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=53822&pictureid=1255517&thumb=1]View Image[/url] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=53822&pictureid=1255516&thumb=1]View Image[/url] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=53822&pictureid=1255515&thumb=1]View Image[/url] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=53832&pictureid=1255851&thumb=1]View Image[/url]
most pics are 200x mag.

Hey are you still here? Are those eggs or trichs? I have similar problem but only 50x scope, but look like that pic on left.

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
Cant photo thru my crappy lil microscope but I can tell you they look like this picture of two spotted spider mite eggs here...

JUST THE EGGS... I do not see any mites when I look and all the symptoms on the plant match broad mite symptoms

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=54572&pictureid=1273715&thumb=1]View Image[/URL]
It's mildew, up close and personal at magnification. :) Plain water, bacilis subtilis, and of course a fermented plant extract should do it.

Last edited:

Sluicebox

That's quite a trip, I saw these and swore they looked like small spider mite eggs, but no mites or damage. Do these ever show up milky? As I have some that are milky and some that are clear. They also are not uniformly distributed on underside of leaf. I am also seeing this on most of my strains. I just took out a nice Sour D that I thought was the vector plant and her cuttings. She showed downward canoeing, claw on some of her leaves but the upper growth was normal. I guess that could have just been when she was stressed at my friends house.

I have spent several hours scoping the whole plant focusing on the growing shoots mostly as there are so many places to hide, all these are still in veg. I did a heat treatment last night and while I was doing it I pulled a leaf, located what I thought were eggs under the 50x scope. I then held the leaf up to the heater just to see what would happen. I held it there for 10-15 seconds till I couldn't stand it anymore. Then scoped again and they were gone. Leaf was about halfway crispy from the heat, but it did drop those trichs or eggs whatever. It would seem that if they were the trichs that your referring too that they would stay on the leaf, and that an egg would be more likely to come off? I have a friend digging through all his stuff looking for an old school microscope, when I get that I will be able to see what's up.

Anyway thanks for that link, I had always thought trichs were on a stem so to speak, never new they formed like that as well. I have been going bat shit over this trying to figure it out. Your post is potentially some pretty awesome news.