What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Rotary Evaporators

Roji

I just picked up a nice old Buchi r110 from mr.bong. Set it up and it ran like a champ. Fun times ahead.

Chonkski

Yes. If you search hard enough you can find references to losing the azeotrope with vacuum, but when you read the fine print you find that it's difficult in practice, enough that it's just a novelty. You will need a good column. You need a good column to get the azeotrope at atmospheric pressure from low-ethanol mixture - closer to the azeotrope it will be easier to get close to the azeotrope. Even some simple industrial practice like drying with corn cobs comes with fine print. 3A molecular sieves on the other hand is not a problem. Dust can be dealt with but it's better to distill again after drying. Add water because the 95% ABV is best for winterization. 95 volumes anhydrous ethanol, 6.18 volumes water to be exact.

Yeah, I picked up a triple scale hydrometer and some 3a beads. And I just filter with a buchner filled the beads and re distill to dry my ethanol. Never been too big of a problem..

G.O. Joe

Veteran
Curious why 95% ABV is better for winterizing

Scientific experiments show it gives the best combination of the most precipitated wax and least precipitated THC+THCA with the temperatures, solvents, and concentrations chosen. It's been adopted widely, so everyone seems to agree.

Not to resurrect a dead thread, but I have a Buchi rotary vape with a 3000mL vessel and am unsure how to recover the product out of the vessel after running it. I haven't had a chance to use it, but I am assuming that the remaining product will be stuck to the glassware and difficult to get out. Dose anybody have a tool or method to recover it? Sorry for such a basic question.

APK47

Just smash the flask and pick out the glass, simple!
Just kidding!
You could recover less ethanol leaving a slightly less viscous solution. Then pour or pipette into a thin film for vacuum purging.
Or you could invert the flask and use a heat gun to coax the material out of the flask. This will also slightly decarb the product.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Not to resurrect a dead thread, but I have a Buchi rotary vape with a 3000mL vessel and am unsure how to recover the product out of the vessel after running it. I haven't had a chance to use it, but I am assuming that the remaining product will be stuck to the glassware and difficult to get out. Dose anybody have a tool or method to recover it? Sorry for such a basic question.

We chase it out with a heat gun.

MrEvaporator

Hi there,

Just wanted to introduce myself, and offer any expertise I can with rotary evaporators.

Full disclosure - I work for a manufacturer, but I've been lurking around this site a few months now and thought I might be able to help with use and issues on any instrument, ours or not.

Let me know if you need advice on cleaning bumped oil out of your condenser, cleaning a vacuum pump, getting pieces "unstuck", etc.

Cheers and nice to meet you!

MrEvaporator

HG23

Can someone explain how necessary it is to have a vacuum controller on a rotavap when it's only used to strip ethanol from cannabis oil?

Will ethanol bump too much if you run the pump without a controller?

edo380

Ethanol Recovery

Ethanol Recovery

Hi guys!
Any updates or new equipment for ethanol recovery? We currently have a 20L rotovap and need to expand. This could mean just to a larger ball or to a whole new system. Any and all info would be greatly appreciated.

you can get a 50L, or get some more 20L's.
Many chillers on the market cannot handle the 50L, so if you need one go to our website to purchase an appropriately sized chiller or rotovap.

I use a 50L rotovap which I can distill 20L/hr of ethanol with. Like Goldleaf mentioned, you need to be careful to size your chiller correctly. I posted some calculations on chiller sizing on here a few months back. There are even larger rotovaps but the geometry doesn't scale well. The evaporating capacity is a function of the surface area of the evaporating flask which increases with the square of the radius of the flask. Of course, the volume of the flask increase with the cube of the radius, so the larger the rotovap volume the less efficient it is. The next step up from the rotovap would probably be to a wiped film evaporator, but these are very expensive. There are other variations of this like sprayed/falling film, rolled film, etc., the key is the cylindrical vs spherical geometry. The advantage of the rotovap is that you can just leave it in there forever, if you really need to get all of the solvent out, it's hard to beat it.

YougPadiwan

New Chef.

New Chef.

I have several rotary evaporators,incubator hot plates, vac. pumps , and rosin presses. I would like to know what the Rotary evaporator is best used for. I know it extracts the oils from the product, however where do i go from there? wax? crumble? shatter? or is it the type of oil for vapes. Please pass down some knowledge.

vangumby

It looks like the Stanley Bros are using Heidolph rotovaps.
In my experience, Heidolph has very good customer service and local reps that are very willing to help explain the different options available (at least here in the USA).
They aren't the cheapest, but the have a 3 year warranty and free PM annually. I picked up a full system w/ vac pump for about $5k
CW Hemp (Stanley Brothers) are using SprayVaps from Colorado Extraction Systems

Latest posts

Latest posts