What's new

ROSL soil mix help!

Soflott

Hello everyone hope all is well i have been planning on making this mix for a long while and the time is just about here.

for the recipe o was going to go with
40% sphagnum peat
22.50% compost/ewc
30% airation
7.5% biochar

then for minerals i was going to do per cubic foot
1/2 cup basalt
1/2 cup ag lime
1/2 cup azomite
1/2 cup gypsum
1 1/2 cup glacial rock dust
1/2 rock phosphate

then for amendments this is where i am more worried about what to do
1/2 cup neem/karanja mix
1/2 cup alfalfa meal
1/2 cup kelp meal
1 cup fish bone meal
1/2 cup fish meal
1/2 crustacean meal
1 cup malted grain (mix of rye/barley/oat from the brew shop)

not sure where this should go but
1/2 cup oyster shell flour
Not sure on this one but i think 1/2 cup humic acid

Would love any opinions on what i should change or if you guys like or don’t like certain aspects that would be awesome.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
I don't see any dolomite lime, which I will be adding to my mix for the Mg. I would also toss in some langbenite. I get my humic from Leanordite.

I pH my soil up to 7.0 with the lime and oyster, and water with 6.3 with cal-mag.

Soflott

FLGH

thsnkyou for your repsonse

i forgot to put the langbenite so Thankyou was thinking a 1/2 cup

however after what i have read i don’t think i will be using dolomite lime which i have in the past. After reading a bunch of Tim Wilson and coot on the original ROLS thread i was convinced away from using the dolomite.

Thankyou again for your reply and reccomendations

i just have a box of Down to earth granular humic acid from a friend so thought it couldn’t hurt although most of the humus i need is in the high quality compost and castings.

Soflott

Also forgot to mention

i am waiting on castings and biochar

do you guys think i could mix it all now then mix the rest when it gets here or should i wait until i can just mix everything together

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Mix it all up and let it compost (cook) for a while. Put in worms if it isn't hot inside the soil. You can fine tune the pH in that time. I don't innoculate until there are roots in the soil, cause I read that somewhere..

Good microby compost is really nice, as I think it is the main ingredient.

IMO soil moisture is key, and the way I am watering is keeping the soil good and moist so the microbes are happy. Dry out the soil, and start over. My biggest lesson so far. Water, water, water.

I have some Agsil16 I use too. It was top dressed on the plants running now, but will get mixed in the next batch.

Soflott

I don’t plan on phing my soil as i trust the humus to filter that for me.

for ag-sil i planned on using that for foilar feeding. Although if you have any information about mixing/topdressing it i would love to learn. From my what i have read most use it as a foilar.

and i planned on letting it compost for longer than desired as i need my room to finish before i put the new plants in there so it will end up “cooking” for 2-3 months.

Thankyou for the tip on keeping it moist i seas recently gifted a moisture meter. Luckily i live somewhere where it rains quite frequently so Mother Nature will be able to help me out in that regard but i will keep a very close eye on it.

luckily i was able to acquire some very high end castings and some pretty good compost which i am happy about. The guy who makes the castings feeds his stuff kelp meal, crustacean meal, malted grain and many more that makes the castings as nutrient dense, humus dense, and microbaly active as possible :)

. Says he is personal friends with jim (coot) and makes his castings specfically for Living soil which makes me pretty excited as most around me is made from paper and garbage.

Latest posts

Latest posts