What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Rosin -

DemonTrich

Veteran
I use plates, not a hs. Might be a huge difference in the end result. I have total cost troll over.my.pressure and heat vs using a hs and hoping your using enough pressure, and I doubt the heat plates on a hs are not that accurate

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
I just responded to the question of do I need to decarb my rosin?
I don't know the answer but have about a gram in a double shot glass and in the oven at 250*F for 25 minutes.

this was my response:
I came here to ask the same question.. logically, how would one contain a portion of rosin to heat it to 250*F for 30 minutes? a glass dish/bowl w cover and in the oven for half hour? I'll get back to ya'll in a few days with results.. guessing I'd have to attempt this a few time to realize the possible difference in stoneabilty.

didn't realize I would get on it so soon, maybe a day or two to test, test, test..:tiphat:

While this is all happening, does anyone have a definitive answer?:tiphat:

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
heres the HarborFreight press $69 w coupon, with the DIY 2.25" plates and dual e-nail, complete $450. that's first squish after I bled the jack.. I can manage to weigh out a gram bud but that's as small as I can go... so return % is : I can tell you this, its close to double what I was getting with the hair iron and vise. and they threw in a meat thermometer. Measured the temps from the hair iron... 343*F! on 30 setting.. sappy, this squish with the press, was done at 237*F stiff.. cant imagine a 20-30 ton press. Made in Boynton Beach Florida... 6 ton HF press: all parts present and accounted for. Parts could use a little quality control but only needed a 14MM,17MM, 18MM openend wrenches and 18MM socket & wrench..$69. took an hour by myself. Oh yes, all hydraulic fluid drained during shipping with no experience and I'm giving youall with no experience the benefit of the doubt... pay attention to the pics..2.5hours .. YTube for bleeding jack. I had to come up with a thinner base plate to realize enough room between the plates for inputting the parchment/bud... lovin it..

EDIT: I don't know why but the figures you see on the e-nail is after some cool down.
the enail was set at 307*F wich by the meat themo was 237*F.. dono why..
page 1 Post#10" 2.25in plates on 6 ton press.
you are correct, much better than HS.. decarbing is my issue right now.. thinking the minute or two at 240*F or so isn't enough time to decarb..

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
what it looks like so far. If this is going to continue this way, I'll need a better, flatter, receptacle for in the oven decarbing.. as you can see there is some still stuck to the glass.. I used a butane torch to heat the glass so I might collect more but its a work in progress. I'll screw around with it for a coupla days and get back to report..:tiphat:

Attachments

• collection b4 decarb 2.jpg
    collection b4 decarb 2.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 13
  • collection b4 decarb 3.jpg
    collection b4 decarb 3.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 12
  • b4 250F inda oven.jpg
    b4 250F inda oven.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 18
  • after 250F for 30 minutes.jpg
    after 250F for 30 minutes.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 13

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
Decarb on parchment
I decarb in my metal mixing bowl. It's oven safe, or use a Pyrex bowl.
parchment, 293F.. sounds like the recipe for fire.. although 8 minutes isn't very long.. youre pullin the new guys chain, right? parchment is wax paper.

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
parchment is meant for baking... it isnt wax paper
aaaha! true. so then 293F for 8 minutes is good? sorry DT. when in the MC, they once sent me to the tool hooch to get some high velocity grease, yeah, I got some alright... good laugh but since then I ask.:tiphat:

Arthur Mix

I press at 85c or around 185f , at say 10t for a minute or 2, i have no issues with stability so fay , all pretty stable.. Nugs more stable than trim is, so it can depend on quality used..

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
Decarb on parchment

I decarb in my metal mixing bowl. It's oven safe, or use a Pyrex bowl.
OK, DT.. I'm in... 293/8min but let me ask.. why am I not squishing at 293F for 8minutes? samey same, no?
why the extra step of in the oven?

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
Well, 295F (close as I could get to 293) in the press for 3 of the 8 minutes produced the obvious, the rosin goes away from the heat of the press and I'd bet never gets to anywhere near 293/5F.. but the puck after the squish (at only 3 minutes) was almost dry... as in all the 'rosin' was on the parchment, little remaining in the puck. The puck is very light brown in color and somewhat brittle; the rosin is a little darker, a little gooier, more spread out over the parchment. Gonna heat up the oven and put it right in on the parchment that it was squished on.

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
pics a little buzzed we have 1st 2,before and last two, after.:tiphat:

Attachments

• 110916 002.jpg
    110916 002.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 15
  • 110916 005.jpg
    110916 005.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 110916 006.jpg
    110916 006.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 110916 010.jpg
    110916 010.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 12

I wood

Thanks for the wealth of info in these few pages.
It has given me the impression that I can get started with some metal plates heated in an oven. Many differtent clamping devices to experiment with in the wood shop.
I have been reading about this for a while but being an extreme lightweight, I have never felt the need to bother with dabs before.
A new patients needs dictate that I learn now, the parchment fold and temperature
information are just what I lacked to get of my ass and squish.
Hair straightener seems interesting. I tend to break shit when using the normal way so will skip smashing the wife's and use metal plates and bench vise to start.