What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

rosetta stone and learning a new language.

djonkoman

Veteran
IMO, tv+subtitles(and later without) works very well. that's how I learned english. didn't learn that much from english at school, but most tv(at least the programs worth watching) are i english here, with dutch subtitles.
you have to actively engage in it tough. I used to just watch while reading subtitles, but I realised that a lot of jokes got messed up in the subtitles. mostly wordjokes, but also a lot of other jokes were less fun. so I began to actively listen to the english, while reading the subtitles to know what it meant. I began this with easy to understand series like cartooons, south park, family guy, simpsons etc.
later my english was good enough to begin ignoring the subtitles and also understand series/movies with real actors. and now I think the subtitles are annoying and I prefer to watch online, without subtitles. (and also have a cambridge proficiency degree in english)
reading in the language online also helps.

one pitfall tough, eventough my english is pretty good, my pronunciation is crap. I can read, understand and write english with no problems, but speaking it I have a massive accent and pronounce a lot of words wrong(while I think the pronunciation is right)

i have a friend who skypes weekly with another guy in Russia trying to learn the language.

found him somehow on those sites where tons of domestic+international folks try to pick up online freelance type work.

2nd the guy above me on the subtitles and even the dubs, especially on movies and shows you are already familiar with... i remember after watching Pulp Fiction in spanish we couldnt shut the fuck up for a week or so lols

rosetta stone couldnt hurt, its about learning the ear for the language as well. youtube helps here.

Calimed

Veteran
Rosetta Stone is good at getting you to think in the language...but it certainly won't make you fluent.

Start watching Univision and let it be known you are trying to learn. Many are willing to help with baby steps.