What's new

Roots turn yellow then brown over time...

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Your roots are lacking proper oxygenation. When the plants can't get enough oxygen in the root zone the result is build-up of bacteria, fungi, and mold on roots. If you notice the brown spots are where the plant sits in a flood area in the pot so to speak and that is where it spreads. All the roots above the flood area are pretty white but, where your plant sets in water for longer periods of time, it cuts off the oxygen. It will spread to the healthy roots once it changes to fungal disease, anthracnose and cause harm to the rest of the roots and yield.

207growmaine

That definitely makes sense. I will say, there isn't any standing water outside of the pot they are standing in. It would be the moisture that's in the bottom part of the soil.

Is it possible something is causing them to slow their drinking (which they seem to do), which then causes the root ball be hydrated longer than what would be adequate for good health? Said another way, if they were drinking faster, they would be drying out faster thus not having water to sit in for very long.

Someone suggested increasing the ph of my watering solution to the 6.5-6.8 range. Currently I'm at around 6.1.

Going to grow store today to get one 4x4 tray to start watering with runoff. Maybe i'll pick up another one to do the same with an elevated ph to see a comparison.

Thanks everyone, appreciate the insight.

Mr. J

I think that 5 gallons is too much unless you're growing trees. I'm a fan of filling the pots with roots and then blasting them multiple times daily with a few drops of runoff. I never let them dry out, but they never are starved of oxygen either because fresh air is pulled into the pots with each watering. Nothing has a chance to go stagnant because there are enough roots to suck it up, and even if there was a bit pooling it gets replaced with fresh solution before it goes bad.

Bobby Boucher

Hey what kind of system are you using? They look pretty nice.

That’s just a plain old dwc plant my gf grew out about to get transferred into the bio-bucket system, taken 2 days ago.

The negative pressure in the bucket was insane. I wouldn’t be surprised if the water boiled. The root mass was as solid as a head of lettuce. The plant had to be pried out using at least 20-30 lbs of pressure.

There was already 10-15 lbs of water in the bucket as it was and the root system picked up the whole kit and kaboodle. +5 lbs sheering force trying to pull them apart.. 10 lbs, 15 lbs.. 20 lbs.. and then it finally gave.

My brain is still struggling to comprehend. Coulda swore somebody dumped a half gallon of epoxy in der.

/ hijack

NEED 4 SEED

That’s just a plain old dwc plant my gf grew out about to get transferred into the bio-bucket system, taken 2 days ago.

The negative pressure in the bucket was insane. I wouldn’t be surprised if the water boiled. The root mass was as solid as a head of lettuce. The plant had to be pried out using at least 20-30 lbs of pressure.

There was already 10-15 lbs of water in the bucket as it was and the root system picked up the whole kit and kaboodle. +5 lbs sheering force trying to pull them apart.. 10 lbs, 15 lbs.. 20 lbs.. and then it finally gave.

My brain is still struggling to comprehend. Coulda swore somebody dumped a half gallon of epoxy in der.

/ hijack

Unfortunately they don't sell the Master Zone stuff here by now, but I wrote them and they said probably this year they will.

siftedunity

cant re Member
Veteran
That definitely makes sense. I will say, there isn't any standing water outside of the pot they are standing in. It would be the moisture that's in the bottom part of the soil.

Is it possible something is causing them to slow their drinking (which they seem to do), which then causes the root ball be hydrated longer than what would be adequate for good health? Said another way, if they were drinking faster, they would be drying out faster thus not having water to sit in for very long.

Someone suggested increasing the ph of my watering solution to the 6.5-6.8 range. Currently I'm at around 6.1.

Going to grow store today to get one 4x4 tray to start watering with runoff. Maybe i'll pick up another one to do the same with an elevated ph to see a comparison.

Thanks everyone, appreciate the insight.

have you thought about putting a layer of perlite or hydroton at the bottom to assist in drainage?

207growmaine

Update.

Someone else was right earlier in this thread, I have root aphids.

Long story short. I'm cutting down flower early and sanitizing. It's not going to make it.

Veg, I'm trying two products/regiments. If they aren't successful I'll just cut it down and start over.

Do root aphids have female flyers that lay eggs? If so, does anyone have a picture of one vs a fungus gnat? If I see a bug in the future, I'd like to be able to tell the difference under my scope.

Thanks!