What's new

roots organic soil

has any1 tryed the soil called roots organic soil?? if so how is it?? should i cut it half and half with peat??? thanks guys???

G

There's a thread or two around here someplace so do some searching as there's good info in em. Roots Organics has two soilless mixes. Their hydro mix is coco/perlite based and their soil mix (soilless in my book) is coco/peat/perlite based. I've used both...which do you have? They're nothing special but they use high quality ingredients. Nice off the shelf blends though.

Last edited:
I've used the indoor/outdoor mix a few times and I've found that it runs out of nitrogen too soon for me with the nutes I like to run. I like to mix it equally with FFOF that blend has performed better for me than either one by it's self. They have just come out with a new mix that is more soil I guess. It's called NORCAL. it is in a white bag right now but supposedly they are going to start putting it in different types of camo colored bags for you guerilla guys.

G

I've found that it runs out of nitrogen too soon for me with the nutes I like to run
I've talked to the people fairly extensively at the store and the nutes added are only supposed to provide a jump start of about two weeks. My mix is basically 65% Ocean Forest and 35% Roots Organics hydro mix.

They've been packaging in camo bags for at least a year now. I'm not familiar with their new blend but haven't been in the local store for a few months. As for the guerrilla thing no way I'd try to run and finish a plant from the start of the season in a 1.5 cu ft bag of soil...even in my back yard.

You near Eugene?

The indoor/outdoor has been in the camo for close to 3 years now. The NORCAL is in white bags right now but they are supposed to be going to a few different digital camos(like the new military camo) for the Norcal. It has less perlite, more peat to retain water I guess. I wouldn't start seedlings in a bag but I would grow plants in two gallon containers indoors then put them in the bags outdoor come spring. The new bags are a little different than the normal soil bags, they have flat bottoms on them. Go into the store and check it out. they gave me a bag, and bottles of the new buhda grow and bloom nutes for free last time I was in. I haven't tried either yet. I will when I have some cuttings instead of seedlings so I can do a side by side grow and compare the results.

Makes since why we yeild similar yeilds being we use the same soil base(from my other thread).

peace

Last edited:
G

Makes since why we yeild similar yeilds being we use the same soil base(from my other thread).
Ahhh...I get it...but don't really think that's the reason for similar yields. I think the mix itself, excluding amendments, is a small piece of the yield puzzle. NOt saying it's not important. Main issue I had last time was the switch from salt dro to organic soil with the same strain. My buddy has taken over the space I was growing in and he's messed things up pretty good...lol. I'm confident I would have gotten .7g a watt next cycle and very possibly higher. We're working with a lower yielding strain that needs a lot of massaging to produce well. With organics in soil it's critical to focus on keeping the soil microlife happy. I work a lot with Rev over at Skunk as he's top notch with this stuff and has helped me tremendously.

As for the Roots stuff...they designed the camo print to blend it but finally caught up with the bag design...cool.

I'm a bit further south but got some friends up your way. A lot of people grow around Eugene... :headbange

onelov

i use it with the 2+ AN program camo bag's are in nor cal :)
iv done side by side with black gold and there is lil to no dif from what i have seen

G

iv done side by side with black gold and there is lil to no dif from what i have seen
Basically what I'm saying and good input. The Roots stuff is a good off-the-shelf mix but from there it's about genetics, enviro, nutes and a few other pieces like training and attention to detail. I love my OF/Roots blend.

I've got a buddy that uses black gold, his product is almost identical to mine as far a looks and smell. My buds are harder and heavier than his but He doesn't use any ferts. so I think that is reason. It cost me about the same volume wise to mix OF/Roots as it would to buy black gold. I just like how the mix that Nondual and I use is a bit more airy than the black gold.

Nondual check out the roots Oregonisms xl (microyzeah sp?) they did wonders for the micros in my soil. that and bubbled wormcastings with some molases kick ass. I'm pulling about .7g per watt with my methods but I just added co2 so hopefully that yeild average will be going up. I'll know in a few weeks. I'm not running any huge yeilders either. I grow mostly sativas. the only indica I have is a purple colored god bud that doesn't really get that fat.

G

I just like how the mix that Nondual and I use is a bit more airy than the black gold.
Yup...BG is too dense for me and so is straight OF. No reason you can't take BG and use as a base with a little tweaking...but then what's it gonna cost you to take BG and amend it to the point of being usable?

Hey DLMU...when you have primo drainage there's a crazy party going on with the microlife...which is preferred IMO/IME as there's great aeration going on in the mix. Funny how my soil mix almost borders on a good hydro mix in that respect but it's a happy home for bacteria and fungi...a key to organic growing. In this case not only are you feeding the plant but have to take into consideration feeding the soil culture as they are HUNGRY little buggers and don't like salts but 'real' food...in their eyes. Bacteria will go through tons of N.

Next time around I'm gonna go chunky/woody for the top 2 or so inches as the fungi just love it. It's a feed the microlife thing and not feed the plant mentality with organics. Yucca is a great food for fungi. There's an interesting dynamic that happens with the top few inches in an organic pot.

Anyway...no reason you can't kick them yields up big time :D

EDIT..cause IC has this lame 60 or so second rule to modify stuff...I've used Oregonism for about 3 years. It's OK and works but some other products that might be better. I used Roots PBP knock off stuff for my first indoor grow and produced primo quality smoke. They've long since discontinued that line.

Last edited:
G

Just finished my bag of roots and it did well straight and when mixed with other soils and perlite. I'm going to try FFOF next to get a fair comparison.

G

I'm going to try FFOF next to get a fair comparison.
Uhhhh...FFOF is NOT a fair comparison to Roots stuff cause both Roots products are soilless. The hydro mix is coco/perlite basically and their soil/soilless mix is coco/peat/perlite pretty much. OF is true soil IMO and it's pretty dense IMO/IME compared to either Roots product. I've heard they, Roots, have recently released a NorCal mix which is more heavy on the peat to enhance water retention but peat in the long run will drive pH down so that needs to be accounted for.

sidewing

i use 100% organic roots soil.. and biobizz vegetative with fish added.. and biobizz bloom for flowering.. plants are extremely healthy and loving life to the fullest... not 1 single problem.. if anything they have the exact opposite of problems.. smooth sailing.