What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

ROOTED clones in a fridge?

Tomatoesonly

Clones in rapid rooters were made just to see, but now I don't have the heart to kill them for no reason and no room to just have them around.
I know cut clones in the fridge is, without a doubt possible, but you don't read much of rooted clones in a fridge.
I've only found one thread, but it was still asking if it were possible. Someone has to have tried it.

Ca++

Be aware that such treatment may well trigger the plant to grow differently for some time. A different expression of it's genes you might say. Growing in a way that is prepared for it to happen again. Avoiding certain risks. For example, Sometimes an outdoor plant will stand the cold, yet grow no further, even if you bring it in.
I wouldn't bother unless you must. Not if you have stock that didn't get the chill. Most people find cuts drift to the worse over time, with any lapse behavior likely to speed up the process. To get a cut to 20yo needs some consistent care, or breaks of many months if they must recover from a problem.

You could draw loose parallels to re-vegging. Where some plants come of of bloom as quick as they went in. While others can take years. Often you don't know until you try. In this case of chilling them, I wouldn't bother if you have the same stock anyway

goingrey

Maybe no one actually has tried it. Until now? If you have a bunch of clones you could chop the roots of half and report back which ones make it at a better rate? Then we'll, well not know for sure as one shouldn't jump to conclusions based on one experiment but will know more than we did. :)

dimodz

Elite StrainCloneHunter
Veteran
I've seen cut but not rooted clones stored in the fridge. Have you done rooted clones in a fridge?

there root then if use them later .,?

yeah own experience but got tip from a buddy then i tried self and its works with rooted clones

Ca++

you can hold them in frige for 4 - 8 weeks as i know after his rooting
I have known people do this, but they are constantly going downhill. They decided a couple of weeks. Then stopped doing it. Plants don't bounce back from suspension. It's better to keep them fast growing and trim them back, if you are not ready for them.

Same guys did seeds in the fridge to. Initially they found the one's that would start at the lowest temps were genetically superior. Though hemp farming over many years has shown us plants put out in the cold are stunted for the season. Old or young, they just don't like it. Though some plants used in breeding for colour, are from ridiculously cold regions. They will take the cold, but the genetic expression will then lean that way. Think about how outdoor plants, bred with these short season lines, turn red quite often. While indoors, they don't.

There is a high probability of shifting their genetic expression by chilling them. That doesn't mean any genes are lost though. Just that what shows might be different for some time.

You know they are alive still. However, if you don't need them, I wouldn't bother. Not unless it's a keeper and suspending them this way would be helpful. In which case, you always run a couple in the corner, if you do a big enough room to not mind a couple of duds