What's new

Root rot in DWC

medicalmj

Veteran
Thanks Neo420! My nutes are GH. I have all three but like the Duo cause its clear. To clarify, after 3-4 days should I change out with just base nutes (GH Duo)? Been running tea for about 5 days now. I can tell a difference in that the brwon roots don't smell and under a scope there are microbes all over them.

NOTE: I have nematodes and mites (2 diff species) in the root zone. Can always be found on near brown roots. The tea guy at the store said the mites were probably "mould mites" feeding on fungus and the nematodes were probably non parasitic. I'm still concerned. The nematodes could be seen glistening on the outside of the netpots and are about 2 mm long and less than hair thick. At 400x don't seem to have piercing stylet, which is some consolation. The "mites in the root zone" thread keeps me up at night...

Should I run low EC? At 1.2-1.4 right now with tea in system. Also, microbes like a high PH (and seems to raise it) how much should I chase PH? Took a lot of down to keep at 6.5, which is still high for hydro.

Neo 420

Veteran
Well...I wouldn't of ran my base nutes with it but if it seems to be working then proceed. I would of ran just the EWC tea for a few days (with NO PH'ing- You want the bennes to kill the rot-Not feed with it) , check the roots and proceed from there with a feeding or continued EWC tea. BTW i have never used Duo nutes so no comment toward them.. Keep the EC low with the tea's. As far as the nematodes and mites, i wouldn't speculate unless you have positive ID. Check here for nematodes http://nematode.unl.edu/

medicalmj

Veteran
Yes and thanks again! Trying to get some pics up. Roots definitly look better. What I noticed is that the brown roots that I had no longer have that rotten smell and under a scope it's whole ecosytem there. Started a new ewc tea last nite, which will be for the recirc dwc (flwr).

I have two seperate systems and reservoirs. Ones the recirc dwc (flwr) and one was an ebb and grow by cap with net pots instead of their inner bucket (2 gal pots). Well last nite decided to turn the ebb & grow into a hybrid dwc as I was tearing it down to clean w bleach before adding base nutes (it was all gunked up from tea). I simply put the net pots on clean 5 gal with nothing in them while I got busy. I drilled holes small holes into top of buckets for the air hose and hooked em up to some extar pumps I had. So I am debating how long to leave soltion in buckets. I think I'll leave solution in buckets for 1-2 hours then pump to res for 15 minutes. This should maximize roots access to nutes while bringing in lots of fresh air into root zone. As the water level falls fresh air will be forced through hydroton.

As far as recirc dwc, going to change out tomorrow and add fresh batch of ewc. Think it needs it more than veg. Roots are looking good but still think they could use another blast of tea.

Watched those mites and nematodes for hours under the scope and as far as I can tell they're free living, eating fungus, algae and bacteria. This is the mite http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_Sa7x1AxeU
And as long as this researcher is correct, I am safe. The nematodes were on netpots and chasing organisims under scope and weren't piercing roots w stylet.

So I getting ready to put something together for my well rooted clones. Should I dip em that tea tomorrow?

I'll probably put em in net pots on 5 gal buckets (3/4 inch returns) with drip emmitters into top and/or run the lines into buckets and put a sprayer on it.

I also have a 4x4 res with a lid cut out for net pots. It's desigened to be a giant dwc or can run a pump with lines.

All of these use netpots so they're interchangeble withh all my sytems.

Of all hydro systems I've built I think aero is best as long as the water in bottom drains well or is areated.

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If your dwc temps are fine, your issues will be dissolved oxygen levels or "hydro store crap" in your res.

When plants go into flower they begin using a LOT more oxygen...
I believe 3 watts/ 10 gallons is generally recommended as sufficient. I try to use a bit more, if possible. Add a second pump and stone and see what happens.

Stay Safe! :blowbubbles:

Yup I double the amount of oxygen in the water in flower. I use 2 boss hog micro bubble air stones. I also change the water every5 days and flush with plain water or clearex at least once every 2 weeks. I dont even use a chiller anymore. I may go back to a chiller one day, but I dont think I need it.

medicalmj

Veteran
Hash Zep, thanks!- i'll be looking into more disolved oxygen. My buddies going to let me borrow his meter so that'll tell me I've right sized my pumps. It'll be interesting to see where I'm at.

Neo 420

Veteran
Yes and thanks again! Trying to get some pics up. Roots definitly look better. What I noticed is that the brown roots that I had no longer have that rotten smell and under a scope it's whole ecosytem there. Started a new ewc tea last nite, which will be for the recirc dwc (flwr).

I have two seperate systems and reservoirs. Ones the recirc dwc (flwr) and one was an ebb and grow by cap with net pots instead of their inner bucket (2 gal pots). Well last nite decided to turn the ebb & grow into a hybrid dwc as I was tearing it down to clean w bleach before adding base nutes (it was all gunked up from tea). I simply put the net pots on clean 5 gal with nothing in them while I got busy. I drilled holes small holes into top of buckets for the air hose and hooked em up to some extar pumps I had. So I am debating how long to leave soltion in buckets. I think I'll leave solution in buckets for 1-2 hours then pump to res for 15 minutes. This should maximize roots access to nutes while bringing in lots of fresh air into root zone. As the water level falls fresh air will be forced through hydroton.

As far as recirc dwc, going to change out tomorrow and add fresh batch of ewc. Think it needs it more than veg. Roots are looking good but still think they could use another blast of tea.

Watched those mites and nematodes for hours under the scope and as far as I can tell they're free living, eating fungus, algae and bacteria. This is the mite http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_Sa7x1AxeU
And as long as this researcher is correct, I am safe. The nematodes were on netpots and chasing organisims under scope and weren't piercing roots w stylet.

So I getting ready to put something together for my well rooted clones. Should I dip em that tea tomorrow?

I'll probably put em in net pots on 5 gal buckets (3/4 inch returns) with drip emmitters into top and/or run the lines into buckets and put a sprayer on it.

I also have a 4x4 res with a lid cut out for net pots. It's desigened to be a giant dwc or can run a pump with lines.

All of these use netpots so they're interchangeble withh all my sytems.

Of all hydro systems I've built I think aero is best as long as the water in bottom drains well or is areated.

It wouldn't hurt to hit the babies with some ewc tea at all. Looks like your on top of everything! Great job!