What's new

Root oxygenation

GenghisKush

I understand CO2 injection is a thing. Enclose the growing space, inject C02 at some high concentration. Turn up the lights, feed heavy, and grow like crazy. (Or, so I'm told.)

Has anyone (preferably, in a lab) ever done this for roots and O2?

Set aside the fact this would be an absurd fire hazard, having roots in a 99% O2 atmosphere; would the plant thrive?

SuperBadGrower

Roots are already in about ~20% oxygen in aeroponic systems ;) That's a big change compared to the 10 ppm dissolved O2 in water, yet this big increase is not really reflected in plants' growth or yields, which are probably equal to conventional hydroponic methods. If not, every legal grower in USA would be doing or trying aeroponics now . (Not to mention the massive difference in why a plant needs C vs O)

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
hello genghis!

i have thought about it, a lot!

i assume that if you were to supplement o2 you would already be supplementing co2.

if supplementing co2 you have to have a sealed or nearly sealed room.

you must inject co2 into a sealed room but you normally don't have to inject anything else as co2 is the only thing that needs to be replenished.

this is because the plant is giving off o2.

in a sealed room this is in balance.

so if you inject additional pure o2 into the room you will soon unbalance the atmosphere in the room.

the only way i can think of to make this work would be to use an oxygen concentrator that operates entirely inside the room.

this way the room is o2 neutral.

editing to say that the output from the o2 concentrator should be injected directly into the root zone.

i use a form of roots out of the water soilless hydro in which the roots are supported by the media. the PPK.

if your medium has an air-filled porosity of about 30-40% you will have all the o2 you can stand and i think you will find that additional o2 is not going to enhance growth.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts