What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

~~Root Aphids~~ A Couple Of Alternatives For 100% Irradication...(DARK SIDE COCKTAIL)

EclipseFour20

aka "Doc"
Veteran
OK...here is my Root Aphid situation:
1. Perpetual indoor grow with two separate environments for veg & flower.
2. Soil (I make my own mix) and about 95% Organic (using bleach & this routine disqualifies me).
3. Shutting down and starting over is/was not an option.
4. I clone from my own and will only accept new clones as cuttings that I can put in my clone machine.
5. Although past "organic attempts" did kill/knock out certain RA populations--the surviving population probably have developed resistance to Imidacloprid's single mode of action and a rotation of additional insecticides is required.

Some of the things I tried to knock down--but never 100% kill rate:
1. Imidacloprid (Bayer Advanced Fruit, Citrus & Vegetable Insect Control--not OMRI)...1.5 ml per sqft.
2. Potassium Salts of Fatty Acids (Safer Insect Killing Soap Concentrate)...both soil dunks and drenches at 2%.
3. Essential Oils (Dr. Earth Home & Garden Insect Spray-RTS)...if you use the sprayer the dilution rate is 33% but that is WAY TOO MUCH, rates at 2-10% will kill most soil critters within seconds.
4. Beauveria bassiana (BotaniGard--not OMRI)...2% dunks with each 3 gallon container consuming 0.75-1.5 gallons

Things I tried but would not recommend to battle RAs:
1. Pyretherin (Monterey Take Down Garden Spray)...very very short half life, like 10 minutes and the canola oil coated the roots (not good) with drenches and dunks (2%)--but effective as a foilar and contact spray.
2. Azadirachtin (AzaMax)...root drenches were not effective--same reason as above, coating the soil and roots with oil had negative impact on the plant's health...but works great as a foilar spray.
3. Petroleum Oil (Monterey Saf-T-Side)...same as above, not good for the general health of the soil and plant...but great for foilar spray.

My plants are healthy--but suffering and harvest yield is down 50%....causing me to match every hour of garden work with one hour of RA Pest Management. The concern of pathogens and mold is in my head--even though my plants don't show any signs...this RA game has got to stop! So these two routines have worked for me thus far, with nearly 100% success and no ill effects--

A. Rotation of Essential Oil Drench & Dunk/Insecticidal Soap Dunk/BotaniGard Soak/BotainGard Soak/Healthy Cocktail ($$$$$$$)
1. Day 1--Drench plant with 24-48 oz of Essential Oil (5%), wait until you see some runoff (causing RAs to scamper out the drain holes) and then dunk plant in 10% Essential Oil (I use 3 gallon bucket, place the plant inside--container and all, fill it to the brim and soak for a minimum of 2 minutes then let it drain in the sink).
2. Day 3--Drench/Dunk plant in Insecticidal Soap (2% and use the same technique as above drench the soil, wait for runoff then dunk for 2 minutes, and drain in sink).
3. Day 5--First Drench/Dunk plant in BotaniGard (2% and use the same technique as above).
4. Day 8--Second Drench/Dunk plant in BotaniGard (2% and use the same technique as above).
5. Days 4, 7 & 10--Apply Healthy Cocktail
6. Apply BotaniGard dunks once every 10 days--or as needed.

Rationale for the above--to prevent insecticidal resistance different modes of action are required to battle RAs--but nothing kills the eggs; so routines exactly 2-3 days a part is key to interrupt RA reproduction cycle. Botanigard (hard to get and very very very expensive--1 quart is nearly $100 and only makes 50 gallons) works great as the fungus actually breaks down the carcass of RAs by converting it to food for the soil. Insecticidal Soap does two things--suffocates RAs and helps clean pathogens and mold; which is all over the soil and covering the roots, source? RA's vomit, shit and piss; as evidenced by the waxy gooey stuff in the runoff.

B. Rotation of Insecticidal Soap/Darkside Cocktail/Healthy Cocktail ($)
1. Day 1--Drench plant with 24-48 oz of Insecticidal Soap 2% use the same technique as above drench the soil, wait for runoff then dunk for 2 minutes, and drain in sink.
2. Day 2--Drench soil surface with Darkside Cocktail....wait one hour and drench soil with Healthy Cocktail (if soil is dry--then pre-wet with Healthy Cocktail first)
3. Day 4, 6 & 8--Apply Healthy Cocktail

Darkside Cocktail--mixed together in 24-32 oz of water and applied ONE TIME as a soil drench to NON-DROUGHT STRESSED PLANT
1. Bayer Adv Fruit, Citrus & Vegetable Insect Control--Systemic (remains in the plant), Imidacloprid 0.8, 1.33, 2.22 ml per sq/ft.
2. Ortho Bug B Gon Max Lawn & Garden Insect Killer--Contact (pest must come in contact) Bifenthrin 0.5, 0.69, 1.04 ml per sq/ft.
3. Seven Concentrate Bug Killer--Contact (pest must come in contact) Carbaryl 0.14, 0.28, 0.69 ml per sq/ft.

Rationale for Darkside Cocktail (besides cost)...to be applied to plants greater than 28 days from harvest
1. The ranges (low, medium, high) are annual maximum rates for crop applications converted from pounds per acre to ml per sq ft.
2. Combining all three chemicals: Imidacloprid (Nicotinic ACH Receptor Disruptor), Bifenthrin (Sodium Channel Blockers) & Carbaryl (AChE Inhibitors) in one cocktail you are activating three different "modes of actions".
3. The above insecticide doses are at the upper annual limits and repeated applications are not necessary.
4. Most restrictions on safe pesticides are based on the chemical's ill effects on the environment (fish, shellfish, birds, bees, etc)--not on the insecticidal residue of harvested plants.
5. The half-life of these pesticides in healthy aerobic soil are as follows:
Imidacloprid 997 days
Bifenthrin 65-125 days
Carbaryl 4-27 days
6. To help breakdown the insecticides (gaining shorter half life) the Darkside Cocktail is followed with Healthy Cocktail.

Healthy Cocktail--24-48 oz to be applied every other day
1. Epsom Salts 5 ml/gal
2. Canna Rhizotonic 8ml/gal
3. Hygrozyme 8ml/gal
4. Hormex 5ml/gal
5. Seaweed Extract/Liquid Kelp 15ml/gal
6. Great White Mycorrhizae (1/2 scoop)
7. Use Compost Tea instead of water for extra bacteria

Following is my current RA Management routine--in lieu of Darkside Cocktail
1. Imid all plants as soon as possible, usually 2-3 days after being transplanted from the clone machine (1ml per plant in 8 oz of water).
2. Use Bifenthrin as a "soil insecticide" at the rate of 7 PPM (3.1-25 PPM are what many greenhouses use).
My equivalent--
1 gallon of my soil mix weighs 2000 grams,
1ml of Ortho Bug B Gon Max Lawn & Garden Insect Killer contains 0.003001 grams of Bifenthrin
15 gallons of soil (my normal mix quantity) requires 0.213 grams of Bif...which is equal to 71 ml of Ortho. So to the soil mix I add 1 gallon of water I with 1/2 scoop of Great White, 5 ml Hormex, and 71 ml of Ortho.
3. Use Essential Oils as my contact spray.
4. Aza-Max and Compost Tea foliar spray once a week (1 ml of AzaMax to 40 oz of Compost Tea).

Before the accusation flames regarding carcinogens and mallard poisoning--take a moment and read the attached reports from California Department of Pesticide Regulation:

http://www.cdpr.ca.g...ubs/envfate.htm

Hope this helps...all my plants are robust with white roots poking out of all drain holes and I have zero RAs...even my fussy pussy, LSD-69!
Cheers!

Attachments

• CDPRImidclprdfate2.pdf
    173.7 KB · Views: 51
  • CDPRbifentn.pdf
    80.7 KB · Views: 65
  • CDPRcarbaryl.pdf
    44.8 KB · Views: 62

Midnight

Veteran
While that is a great program you have there I think I'd be afraid to smoke any of your chemicals, er, I mean weed.

EclipseFour20

aka "Doc"
Veteran
I appreciate the jab Midnight--but if you look at my sources and calculate the residual, there is zero on the plant matter at harvest time (save the Imid).

Other than Imid (which the current recommendation on this forum is repeated doses at a higher rate up to a month before harvest)...the other 2 chems breakdown rather fast in organic soil. Very little is absorbed by the plant. The doses suggested above are the same for most foods available at stores and restaurants. The difference is--they spray it on the plant, and here we are treating the soil. Big dif.

If you inspect my regime closely, chems are the darkside and used early--not before they go 12/12.

PoopyTeaBags

State Liscensed Care Giver/Patient, Assistant Trai
Veteran
botangiaurd is suppose to work... but never tried... but really if you want to kill your root aphids.. you need to kill your perpetual till they are all dead... you never gonna get them all because you cant treat flowered plants the same...

bayer total insect control with imprid... is the thing that whipes them out... i killed mine with one shot and so did alot of my friends......... be pretty hard with a perpetual....

Granger2

Veteran
Eclipse,
How long ago did you treat with the Orthene/Riptide soup? Also tell me how you use raw milk. How often? What concentration? Do you brew it in ACT? Thanks. -granger

EclipseFour20

aka "Doc"
Veteran
Orthene+Riptide soak....20 to 30 minutes dunks works perfect. By accident...(as a result of an excessive beer and bong break) I soaked a few for 2 hours. No issues. But if 20 minutes will work...then no reason for me to do 60-120 minutes soaks.

Raw Milk....bottom line 7.5ml is delivered to each 5 gallon container every 21 days. In teas (compost & fertility teas) I add 5 ml per gallon. I prefer skim milk--less fat and zero rancidity issues.

Raw Milk thread is here--> https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=192828

Whey Fertilizer has some good science that is published and is widely accepted by the horticulture industry...not so with Raw Milk. Imho the characteristics of "raw milk" and "whey" are very, very similar...and the results are unbelievable!
Cheers!

wingdings

Veteran
I followed Eclipse420s advice a while back about the orthene/riptide combo. This is the answer! It works! Man those aphids are completely wiped out.

RockyMountainHi

I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with th
Veteran
Raw Milk....bottom line 7.5ml is delivered to each 5 gallon container every 21 days. In teas (compost & fertility teas) I add 5 ml per gallon. I prefer skim milk--less fat and zero rancidity issues.

Are you calling homogenized milk raw?
So chasing a cow around a pasture with a bucket and stool,, isn't a necessity?

Just checkin,,,

Can I go to the store or do I get a bucket,,,

EclipseFour20

aka "Doc"
Veteran
Are you calling homogenized milk raw?
So chasing a cow around a pasture with a bucket and stool,, isn't a necessity?

Just checkin,,,

Can I go to the store or do I get a bucket,,,

lol...now that would be funny sight--but the cow might end up chasing you at the end of the day. Raw Milk is milk that has not been heated (aka homogenized) or treated with chems...accordingly it is loaded with bacteria, amino acids, etc.

Raw Milk laws are different for most states...like I can buy mine at Mothers Market with no hassle; others might have to bribe a local farmer. Check out this Milk Finder site....http://www.realmilk.com/real-milk-finder/

Cheers!

RockyMountainHi

I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with th
Veteran
Now you have me shoppin for Orthene+Riptide,,,, I'm about beat to death, but not dead yet......

My bad - pasteurized is the heating process. - but yeahh, I thought skim milk would usually be pasteurized.

Raw - non-pasteurized is usually farm or healthfood item.

Goats milk should make a good substitute.

Grass fed would help too.

7.5ml. to 5 gallons isn't much.

Spring time trompin thru cow pastures in Florida used to mean mushrooms and electric kool-aid. The memories still bring a smile to me! lol And taught us to look for bulls first. Nothing funnier than about a ton and a half of bull chasing 4 - somewhat inebriated sailors out of his pasture.

Last edited:

shredGnar

Merit 75 wp seemed to take care of them for me... Much more concentrated form of imidacloripid. I also have been using met 52 in my coco so maybe this helped, too??

I also do a soak with pyretherin, such as evergreen or exciter, every week or two and have never noticed an ill effect..

Great post!

EclipseFour20

aka "Doc"
Veteran
Rocky...pestrong.com has good prices on both and fast delivery; ordered Riptide online Wednesday and the mailman delivered it Friday.

Hey Eclipse, Just wanted to say thanks for sharing your experience with dealing with these bastards. I just found out I have Root Aphids at my perpetual grow so your information has been invaluable. Thankyou!

Question about riptide. Is this a simple contact killer or is there more to it? I live in Canada so getting certain products can be challenging.

So far I've been able to order Orthene and Spectricide with triazicide. The local hydro story should be able to get me Merit 75. I'm really trying hard to get my hands on some Met 52, no reply yet from the sales reps but hopefully I can get some.

I'll be going nuclear on these bastards continually, need to get my current rooms in flower through til the end without using systemics. You say Orthene has a shelf life of only 2 weeks. Do you think the dunks you use are safe in flower?

EclipseFour20

aka "Doc"
Veteran
Sheik...thanks man! Perpetual grows can be challenging--but quite rewarding once you mastered the technique.

Riptide is 5% pyrethrum and 25% Piperonyl butoxide synergist without any oil (like Evergreen and others). At $115 per half gallon--it also becomes one of the most affordable sources of pyrethrum & PBO insecticide; and since I have more time than money--I must squeak when I walk....lol.

Orthene by itself should work...but since my past contributions to the Root Aphid Gods have been quite generous, I chose to go with the old Joe Lewis approach: right jab followed with a left hook; these 2 poisons when mixed together work like magic. BTW--this combo will also rid yourself of Fungus Gnats...an extra bonus--since Root Aphids and Gnats seem to go hand in hand in this part of the world!

We dunked plants that were 3 weeks from harvest and the feedback he got was--it was best smoke ever. Perhaps is was the extra soil bacteria activity or because he ran it a few days longer....don't know since he did not change his routine. After the soil dried from the dunk we followed it with a simple molasses watering (15ml per gallon of water) and returned to the normal routine. He did complain about running the plants a few days longer--something about white hairs and growing buds...lol.

Yes...I would dunk plants in flower mode, why be generous to the Root Aphid Gods?

BTW...we used water that was standing 24 hours--not tap water for the Orthene/Riptide dunks.

Cheers!

Awesome! That's good news that I can use the Acetate right through flowering. I feel the 1,2 combo....shit I want to go with a 1,2,3,4,5 combo...ha. Fuck those bastards.

Just finished looking into Ortho Bug b gon with bifenthrin. Looks like Bifenthrin acts the same as any Pyrethrum product.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bifenthrin

Maybe I'm interpreting that first paragraph wrong? but Ortho Max bug b gon could be a lot cheaper alternative than the Riptide.

I also wondering if adding the pellet version of Ortho max directly into your soil mix as well as dunks would keep them at bay.

http://www.scotts.com/smg/goprod/ortho-bug-b-gon-max-lawn-insect-killer/prod180004/

Got some work ahead of me....Dunking 65 7 gallon bags might take some time.....ha. Any Idea if the bugs can develop a resistance to the Acetate as it is a systemic I believe? Just wondering because realistically dunking 65 7 gallon bags in a basement with limited space might be kinda unreasonable.. ha already talking myself out of all the work. I'm thinking if I could keep them at bay by watering in some contact killers (Acephate, Spectricide) to get my rooms in flower through til the end (one at 8 weeks and the other at 4) reasonably healthy then I'll have smaller plants to deal with and more ability to attack all root aphids all all fronts, air and water. Just worried about if I were to water in Acephate instead of dunking they could develop a resistance before I get the chance to dunk and do it properly.

Thanks for the tips!

EclipseFour20

aka "Doc"
Veteran
Sheik...glad you are thinking! Now....I would not use bifenthrin (liquid or pellet) if I can get results using a superior product...that is almost OMRI qualified. PBO is not OMRI approved...but pyrethrin is. I try to adapt organic principles in my routine--when they are superior--and adapt non-organic when it is superior.

You know those party 18 gallon party buckets with rope handles you see at parties filled with ice and beer? Home Depot has them for $6 or so....they might be deep and wide enough for your needs...and multiple dunk buckets can speed up the process.

The only negative thing I experienced with my Orthene+Riptide cocktail...is caution should be used WHEN adding your enzymes, like Hygrozyme. Use it too soon and the enzymes seem to eat up the damaged roots (which could be most of the remaining rootball)--but if you use it once the plant recovers...the plant becomes quite vibrant. I examine the young leaves for signs of recovery before adding my enzymes.

My routine: A few days after dunking (soil is not too moist) plants receive a molasses + water feeding, followed days later with a mineral brew (sea and land minerals), then the enzyme brew. Remember, I use a custom "soil" mix with a high CEC ratio and do not follow stoner logic. Hope this helps!

Cheers!

Sheik...glad you are thinking! Now....I would not use bifenthrin (liquid or pellet) if I can get results using a superior product...that is almost OMRI qualified. PBO is not OMRI approved...but pyrethrin is. I try to adapt organic principles in my routine--when they are superior--and adapt non-organic when it is superior.

You know those party 18 gallon party buckets with rope handles you see at parties filled with ice and beer? Home Depot has them for $6 or so....they might be deep and wide enough for your needs...and multiple dunk buckets can speed up the process.

The only negative thing I experienced with my Orthene+Riptide cocktail...is caution should be used WHEN adding your enzymes, like Hygrozyme. Use it too soon and the enzymes seem to eat up the damaged roots (which could be most of the remaining rootball)--but if you use it once the plant recovers...the plant becomes quite vibrant. I examine the young leaves for signs of recovery before adding my enzymes.

My routine: A few days after dunking (soil is not too moist) plants receive a molasses + water feeding, followed days later with a mineral brew (sea and land minerals), then the enzyme brew. Remember, I use a custom "soil" mix with a high CEC ratio and do not follow stoner logic. Hope this helps!

Cheers!

Mad Respect....You really have a good mindset about the way you use your chemicals. I like that, bit of a catch 22 for me right now as I would like to have the $ to get the good quality products to kill the aphids but the aphids are killing my $. Think I'll go with the synthetic for now but will remember the Riptide for future use.

Your info is invaluable thankyou. Using products for keeping a healthy rhizophere after using the chemicals is fantastic advice, I'll be putting it to use for sure.