What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Romulan 1.0: Federation Romulan x Romulan Genetics BX1

Abdthi1966

Premium user
Federation Romulan: If you lived in the states like I did this was likely the Romulan your most familiar with, as it came in waves from Canada in the late 90s, and was known for a “head dent high,” that was remincent of the Starktrek race of the same name. This girl was able to provide steady pain relief and a superior stone without falling under the sandman’s spell.

A brief history; Romulan Joe acquired an original clone, likely from someone who stole it from the original keeper, and named it Romulan. He fervently refused to be straightforward about the acquisition but it was suspected that it was taken from another breeder Vic who had house sit at the breeders place before Joe came out with his iteration.

Under the Federation flag the clone was crossed to White Rhino, and then back crossed to the original clone numerous times (11+), leading the company to eventually boast of a 97% similar offspring to clone in seed. Unfortunately this would lead to a defined lack of vigor in the otherwise stunning offspring.

Original ad states:

Mostly indica. The one and only true Romulan. Now on its 7th Generation backcross, this BC original has increased in size and vigor. 99% Indica, she grows a jade green with a peppery smell and very strong pungent flavor. Vegged for 1 week in sea of green she'll yield 1 oz per plant. As seen in the July/Aug 98 issue of Cannabis Culture.
Height 6 feet.
Flowering time 8 weeks.
Yield 9+ oz.
Harvest outdoor Oct 15

A brief history of the modern Romulan Genetics;

The Romulan BX1 was made from a fourth generation seed male(original seed stock).The original clones heritage was more Sativa leaning; (Thai x Mexican x Colombian x Afghani) x Colombian. Recently, this has become the more well known version, stemming from Jake, the son of the original breeder, whom Joe likely got the cut from in a roundabout way.

This is the first public project for my company Absentis Seeds where we will be taking Federation stock circa 2005 and attempting to germinate the stock to cross with the BX1 to create a fusion that melds the original breeding pools back together after being separated for so many years. While Federations version was heavily indica leaning in comparison to the BX1, the combination of the two should marry the best of both worlds, in regard to quality of high.

Additionally, I have some RSC Sinai females being worked on by partners which will be used for a cross with the BX1. Right now I’m leaning towards using BX1 males as I have some great looking studs but depending on what happens with the federation stock I might use males from there as well.

To start: All nine seeds are being gently cracked with my precision seed cracker and then soaked in a hydrogen peroxide and water solution for 4-6 hours to sterilize any harmful bacteria. Following this the seeds will be rinsed and then placed in a water and mycorrhizal bath over night, and then will be placed in inoculated mycorrhizal soil and placed under CFL light, with heatmat set to 76.

Wish me luck gents! Federation Romulan is an old favourite and to revive the line would mean a lot to me personally. More to come!

Dequilo

Plant Abuser
ICMag Donor
Veteran
420club
Nice I will have to ride with this one :) I grew many of BC seeds back in 2001

did Federations Titian and Mikado great stuff

I will wish you luck and here is to a great grow

Dequilo

Abdthi1966

Premium user
image.jpg

BX1 and the Sinai

image.jpg

Cracking time

Abdthi1966

Premium user
Nice I will have to ride with this one :) I grew many of BC seeds back in 2001

did Federations Titian and Mikado great stuff

I will wish you luck and here is to a great grow

Dequilo
Thanks brotha! I’m hoping I can resurrect, and or develop a well rounded Romulan and keep working it for awhile.

Abdthi1966

Premium user
Most of the BX have been sexed with two males, one with really nice structure and the other average. Four are prime females, one is yet unknown, and the last the tall, lanky lady was culled as the space between nodes was absurd and I don’t want to pass those genes along.

I culled all but three indica leaning Sinai females to be pollinated as well.

Nothing on the federals yet.

Abdthi1966

Premium user
Ah, are you using that micrometer to crack the beans?

Wont lie, been chasing for a good romulan for a while.
Yes it worked great in trials so we will see what happens with them. They were pretty old seed but I’m going to give it a few weeks. Either way, I have some fed pollen available it will just limit what I’ll have available in seeds if so if I need to invest more time into the line before releasing. I should have plenty of the BX2 Romulan though and the BX1 x Sinai cross.

I’m actually kind of curious about the Sinai cross at the moment. With those rose terps, the offspring could have some interesting scent profiles.