What's new

Romer's Bill ( Colorado )

mcrider

Dr's call it a DEA#. Basicly it's a number issued to Dr's that allow them to write prescriptions. I think a majority of Dr's that practice have them and unless your Dr. has been suspended it should not be too big a deal.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DEA_number

My problem with this bill is as follows:

(f) Communications with law enforcement officials about confidential registry identification cards that have been suspended where WHEN a patient is no longer diagnosed as having a debilitating medical condition;

Right so the state if going to tell LE that you have been removed from the registry. So much for it being a confidential registry.
mcrider

xfargox

"So we'll give you a license, but we'll completely ignore HIPPA and harass you in every way possible. Sound fair?"

Edit: Luckily, debilitating allows leeway. Debilitating, in psychology, just means that it interferes with your life. It doesn't necessarily mean you've gotta be bedridden. Most of the legitimate conditions that require marijuana could be considered debilitating.

If I ever get an MMJ license, it'll be for migraines, and if they try to say that migraines aren't debilitating, I'll spend the next 5 years researching a way to give every one of them daily migraines and see how they function :D

Duckmang

We have to hold these politicians accountable. Does Romer really think that the CO sherriffs dept and the conservative backlash are who voted him into office? There are those in our communtiy that praise this legislation but I think that any legislation that threatens a patient's safe access is a slap in the face to all of the MMJ community. I have a close friend that works for a non-profit voter interest organization. I am going to confer with him about the possibilty of forming our own voter interest group. I think that at the bare minimum we need a website that tracks politicians who legislate to the contrary of our state constitution concerning MMJ. That way we can hold them accountable come election time. We won't have to vote out very many before they realize that our voice won't be silenced.

John Denco

We have to understand that we are now a commercial, and not alternative life style nation. We are involved in one of the few growth industries in this state. All of a sudden, we need to think and strike like Republicans.

This crap won't all hold up in Court. Try this....a Doctor who once had his ability to dispense Oxycontin or the like suspended cannot write scripts for MMJ recommendations? A law has to have a rational relationship to a valid purpose. So someone who could not once write painkillers cannot write something that is not a controlled substance per the DEA? Nah, we need to learn law and talk this up and be ready to go to court. I have to go because I am studying for the bar exam. Peace.

JD, Colo.

Duckmang

Ideally we replace them with someone who realizes that the seat is now vacant b/c we wouldn't tolerate the bullshit of the last guy. From what I understand Romer wants to run for Hickenlooper's job when HL runs for governor. Being that Denver is a very pro pot city he'll have a good chance on the democrat ticket. By then most will have forgotten that he made it harder for patients to have safe access and harder for dr's to write reccomendations. They will have forgotten how he rolled over for the conservative backlash and put the wants of a bunch of uptight biddies ahead of 75,000+ patients. If we could muster our collective might that man would never hold another public office and those that followed would tread much lighter over our rights.

They will have forgotten how he rolled over for the conservative backlash and put the wants of a bunch of uptight biddies ahead of 75,000+ patients.

If it was just this I don´t think it would be such a big deal, but up to 150 dispensaries in the Sensible Patient and Provider Coalition are backing Romer´s bills.

Just read about the new Massey-Romer bill announced today with a state-wide 18 month moratorium on any new dispensaries. You think that won´t work out great for the dispensaries that are grandfathered in?

I don´t have a dog in this fight but the more I learn about what´s going on the more pissed off I get.

Duckmang

Good point, but how are those dispensaries going to feel when half of their patients can not get a renewal?

I get the feeling that a lot of this support is due to fear of the AG's proposals. Lesser of two evils so to speak.

For decades law enforcement has waged war with this community, and I don't ever recall 1 compromise. Now that we have the right and they want to take it away, I don't intend to compromise 1 fucking bit. Even if the system is being abused. Yes, the system is being abused. It is being abused by people that do not want to be criminalized for making a personal choice that affects nobody but themselves.

The only thing I see this legislation doing is re-criminalizing those people.

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
it is unconstitutional to make a doctor violate his patient doctor confidentiality agreement. This has already been held up in the supreme court. If it passes a doctor does not have to follow this bullshit, and I bet many wont. I bet some doctors have some lawyer friends that would love to start some shit over it too.

This bill is in clear violation of your already in place constitutional rights. Convictions based off of information gathered with this bill will not hold up in court, and neither will penalties for doctors. the problem is fear controls too many people, and they always back down and settle like cowards.

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
any new on this bill? did the gov sign it? I am having trouble finding it on the net.

S

scarred4life

here's the latest info:

http://blogs.westword.com/latestword/2010/02/tom_massey_on_his_medical_mari.php[/URL]

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
ok so it hasnt passed fully yet it doesnt seem? this is on the edge of a knife though.

Surrender

SB 109 goes before the House Appropriations Committee tomorrow morning here are the members:
* John Pommer Chair
* Mark Ferrandino Vice Chair
* Joel Judd
* Kent Lambert
* Bob Gardner
* James Kerr
* Sal Pace
* Glenn Vaad
* James Riesberg
* John Kefalas
* Kathleen Curry
* Jerry Sonnenberg

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
^write these people. let them know if they pass romer's bill that you wont be happy. write the governor too. This is colorado's last chance to stop this bill which will greatly decrease the ammount of places for sick people to get meds.