What's new

Rolling through Montana in a Cannabis Caravan

Payaso

Original Editor of ICMagazine
Veteran
Montanans have a reason to smile, the cannabis caravan may visit their town soon! Medical patients will have the opportunity to see a medical professional and get a recommendation for cannabis.

As Bob Marley music wailed in the next room, the makeshift clinic hummed along like an assembly line: Patients went in to see a doctor, paid $150 and walked out with permission to buy and smoke medical marijuana.

So it went, all day, at a hotel just blocks from the state Capitol that was the latest stop of the so-called cannabis caravan, a band of doctors and medical marijuana advocates roaming Montana to sign up thousands of patients.

"You're helping end suffering on this planet for human beings," clinic organizer Jason Christ said as he sat outside the hotel in an RV filled with pot smoke.

To the dismay of state medical authorities and lawmakers, the caravans have helped the number of pot cardholders in Montana swell over the past year from about 3,000 to 15,000.

Christ's group, Montana Caregivers Network, will take the caravan out of Montana later this month for the first time, with clinics scheduled in three Michigan cities: Detroit, Kalamazoo and Lansing. He said pot advocates from several other states — including New Mexico, New Jersey and Hawaii — have contacted him to inquire about setting up similar businesses.

The state medical board is trying to curtail the mass screenings and recently fined a physician who participated in a similar clinic in the first disciplinary action taken against a doctor in a Montana medical marijuana case. The board found that the doctor had seen about 150 people in 14½ hours, or roughly a patient every six minutes, nowhere near enough to provide appropriate care in the eyes of medical observers.

The board also recently reminded physicians that they must perform thorough examinations, take medical histories, discuss alternative treatments and monitor patients' response to the cannabis — standards that typically apply when prescribing other medication.

marijuana_20100302160531_320_240.JPG

"Be on the alert. You are still held to these same standards," said Jean Branscum, the board's executive director.

The roving cannabis caravans appear to be unique to Montana, although mobile marijuana operations have arisen elsewhere. A rolling marijuana dispensary in California sold chocolate-covered cookies, brownies, pretzels and other marijuana-laced items out of an RV before authorities moved to shut it down.
From the story here.

grow1620

I heard these are going to be stopped due to the doctors not providing any followup care. There's quite a stir about them lately.

I've been to a few and it's pretty cool to mingle with other people involved in the medical scene, and it's wonderful that they're helping people get their cards, but I think these traveling clinics have run their course....at least in MT...and I think that's why they're now venturing to other states.

edit: I want to add that alot of patients and caregivers in MT are upset with MCN for a few reasons including forcing patients to sign up a caregiver when they register for a card, telling people that they absolutely have to register a caregiver, and of course they have plenty of reps on hand for you to sign up with. You do not have to sign up a caregiver when you apply for your medical card, it can be done at any time, it is not a requirement. Yet, MCN requires you to do so when you sign up, telling patients that they have no choice.

okwildfire

Yeah..Most of us up here don't do the medi thing..Plant number's are way to low..Besides, A state with about ten cop's..We don't have to worry much! I all most went for the card..But figured what they don't know..Wont hurt em..

JamieShoes

Father, Carer, Toker, Sharer
Veteran
"The board found that the doctor had seen about 150 people in 14½ hours"

at 150 bucks a pop, that's a good days "caregiving"

RESINvention

^^ YAH it is, 22k in a day, not bad.. Lol and that joint is skinny, and I think it's being rolled backwards too, check the glue strip:bigeye: I think there is a market in Montana for pre-rolled joints :D

E

el Dream Reader

I've noticed that when you go to a doctor they only spend 5-10 minutes with you, whether they are prescribing marijuana or pain pills. It's a double standard.

Lakota412

I'm a caregiver in Montana, and MCN has caused nothing but trouble for our state.

Wish they would leave, they are signing people with doctors that will not be around to renew their recommendations.

You do not want them in your state. Trust me.

nomaad

Veteran
My doc in cali seems like he just want to go home. Barely makes any eye contact. At $180 for 6 months and 90 for the following 6 months, and more than a hundred patients a day it has started to really bother me. I cannot stand going to see him. Now that plant numbers are not an issue, I think I am going to dump him for somebody who actually shares some positive energy with the patients.

Kalicokitty

The cat that loves cannabis
Veteran
"You're helping end suffering on this planet for human beings," clinic organizer Jason Christ said as he sat outside the hotel in an RV filled with pot smoke.

The organizer is J. Christ, lmao!
I love it, the messiah of weed!
You go J.C.!

Indonesia

yeah foaf talks to a doctor on the phone for 5 minutes and then doc prescribes and calls in a scripts for narcotic painkillers. all these docs care about is money! bet the docs prescribing herb care more about their patients even if they are only spending 5 min with them(there are always exeptions-some may only care about money)! maybe the people seeing these doctors don't have much of a medical history so it doesn't take them that long. guessing the docs probably figure that cannabis is so harmless that a 5 min doctor visit is all that is needed to feel comfortable to prescribe-these docs have been use to prescribing much more dangerous medicines like narcotic painkillers and anti-deppressants. also many of the patients may have already been injesting herb(they just want a cannascript to be legit) and know all about it so the docs don't have to tell them much about side effects etc. ld50 of cannabis is so high that docs can prescribe to practically anyone without fear that it could do more harm than good-less liability for the docs prescribing herb than other medicines.

The same group will do recs via webcam or skype. Convenient but the MT govt. says it's not a "good faith examination" by the Doctor.

Skype? Webcam? Somehow it doesn't sound very medical. I guess my dog can do a skype exam for me while I'm busy. "Does it hurt here?" "woof!".

Medical Marijuana Madness in Montana

Fire bombs. Graffiti attacks. Anonymous anti-medical marijuana flyers handed out to school children. "Ganja-preneurs" are pushing the envelope in the Big Sky State.
June 11, 2010 |

With the number of medical marijuana patients expanding dramatically in the Big Sky State, with storefront operations springing up around the state, and with at least one group of medical marijuana advocates/entrepreneurs touring the state in a medical marijuana caravan

http://bit.ly/9UCybb

complete with pot smoke-filled vans and doctors issuing instant recommendations via web cam, opposition to the way Montana's medical marijuana law is playing out is on the increase.

http://bit.ly/aPm06W

Governor wants stronger medical marijuana regulation

Missoula, MT -- Governor Schweitzer admits, medical marijuana needs tighter restrictions on who gets a card.

Some Montana cities have capped or barred new caregivers from opening up shops.

Lawmakers have plans on the table that range from legalizing marijuana, to getting rid of it all together.

The Governor thinks the legislature will probably have to meet in the middle.

" I don't think anybody thought it was going to be snow boarders that were smoking the medical marijuana," says Gov. Schweitzer. "So, we've got to get a handle on this. There are thousands, and thousands of cards being issued every six months, and it's probably gotten beyond where anybody intended. So, we've got to get a handle on it."

Schweitzer thinks one solution would be to genetically track marijuana strains, so police could easily trace it.

http://bit.ly/bwnpCz