What's new

Rocky Melon

DutchHazeDog

I'll be late for the weekly update because I'm harvesting all the plants who were still in flower, they went to day 70/71, there is a ton of leaves so it's quite long to trim, it is mainly sugar leaves who will make a nice piece of hasch in a few days. I did not trim all the sugar leaves because on some phenotypes there is really a lot of them maybe I'll trim more of them once they are dry.
The Rocky Melon#1 harvested 10 days ago is very stinky and the high is super strong, pretty happy about this first run with LEDs, I have not made a lot more grams than my usual HPS run but used 25% less power, this is really important today with the crazy prices of energy. I'm curious to see the final weight of this run.
I'll comme back in a few days to make a proper update with pictures of each Rocky melon before the cut.
fyi with led if i dont use floor heating then I get around 22.5c with lights on, then I get lower yields. In hydro it was fine with low temps but now in soil I get lower yields unless I put on the floor heating and have the tents around 26-27c during most of the flowering period (and turn off the floor heating for the last weeks of maturing). Also with leds I find it yields more if you train the plant to have many small bud sites - but I'm not 100% sure about this one and can be related to the genetics more than the lights.

Im curious to hear about your smoke report ++

kro-magnon

Veteran
This is some pictures of the Rocky Melon #2 and #3(same phénotype as RM#1 but smaller)
The #2 is the pink/purple one, She has a very sweet smell compared to her sisters, I'm glad this one is cloned. There is one big plant in a 30L pot at the begining of flowering, I hope this one will male a heavy harvest. She is also still alive in the veg area so I Can keep her for a while.
The smaller one will be a one shoot as most of the Rocky Melon, her clones dis not root so once smoked she's gone for ever.

Attachments

• IMG20230402203053.jpg
    IMG20230402203053.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 100
  • IMG20230402203103.jpg
    IMG20230402203103.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 94
  • IMG20230402192333.jpg
    IMG20230402192333.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 114
  • IMG20230402203025.jpg
    IMG20230402203025.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 104
  • IMG20230402192350.jpg
    IMG20230402192350.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 112
  • IMG20230402192418.jpg
    IMG20230402192418.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 95
Last edited:

kro-magnon

Veteran
Now this some pictures of the Rocky Melon #5 and #7
They were harvested at day 70 or 71, it was a bit early for some of them, the RM#5 needed a few more days but she had so much deficiencies I'm not sure she would have been able to mature properly and she was really close to being done. The RM#7 is very colorful in her foliage and as you can see she has a fucking massive stem but she was quite small, extremely stocky plant, I'm not a fan of a structure like this. She is a bit like a dwarf, short, wide and very stocky, she has a pretty agressive smell that I find very hard to describe. She needed a few more days to be perfectly mature but I needed the space for the next round and I wanted to harvest most of my plants at the same time, I had already 2 Rocky Melon a week ago and did not want to have just 2/3 plants still flowering for a few days.
On this session the low temps did not allow my plants to produce as much weight as they could have in better conditions but they are full of resin and terpenes. All the people who have tested some of the dry flowers have told me the smells are extremely strong.
The RM#5 has been cloned as well, I have one in flower and some clones under a dome to root, I hope they will because I like this one a lot. She has a complex smell with a base of diesel really loud now she's drying mixed with spices and some kind of artificial lemon and she packs a punch. I've smoked a bud cut earlier and the #5 has a very strong high, she hits really fast and it's quickly like you have some fireworks in your brain.
The Terple Platinum have been harvested as well I'll show some pics of this ones in another thread.

Attachments

• IMG20230403182402.jpg
    IMG20230403182402.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 100
  • IMG20230403182352.jpg
    IMG20230403182352.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 94
  • IMG20230403165952.jpg
    IMG20230403165952.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 87
  • IMG20230403170013.jpg
    IMG20230403170013.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 92
  • IMG20230403173513.jpg
    IMG20230403173513.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 88
  • IMG20230403173421.jpg
    IMG20230403173421.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 93
  • IMG20230403170040.jpg
    IMG20230403170040.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 102
Last edited:

kro-magnon

Veteran
Everything has been jarred since a few days, here are the results of each ROCKY MELON:
-#1 60g / #2 65g/ #3 30g/ #5 35g/ #6 25g/ #7 25g so 240g from 6 different females, I had 7 seedlings but 1 turned male. The Terple Platinum made a bit over 100g and the 2 small freebees 20g each so the total of this harvest is around 380g with a Lumatek LED of 465w(dimmed at different % depending of the period), it's not a very good yield with those LED but the quality is really impressive. I made also 7/8g of ICE-O with the fresh frozen trim, the hasch is excellent. I'm happy of the result but I hope to make more weight in the newt harvests.
The clones of the Rocky Melon#2 and #5 are at day 11 of flowering today, I have a pretty big RM#2 in a 30l pot of soil. I'm happy this one made some roots because her taste is so good, it's a complex mix of berries, earthy and floral, really loud . She has no diesel unlike her sisters who all have a strong touch of gasoline now they are dry. I wanted some new terpenes I never had and I could not be more happy about that, all the the different RM have a lovely, powerful aroma with a lot of personality. The RM#5 is more gassy, she has the same smell 2 RM also had, it's not easy to describe.
I'll share some pics of the clones when they are close to the the harvest.

DutchHazeDog

Great you managed to keep clones of the best phenos. I hope they give even better quality than the mothers. Once I find clones I like I tend to grow them in big pots as big plants to get more yield of consistent good quality flowers. I see the rocky Dennis indeed have low yields for their size, I'm curious if they would yield well as massive plants.

It's great you found new terps you enjoy! I'm curious what is smells/tastes like :D I can imagine it is hard to describe, I can't describe the Melo rado terps either.

I am curious how the taste and effect develop as the cure progresses - and if they get more gassy. I am a big fan of the deep pungent gassiness that (sonetimes) comes after more than a month of cure. Do you get any hashy/extract smells when burning the flowers?

kro-magnon

Veteran
This is an update on my second run with my Rocky Melon clones, there is 2 RM#2, one big in 30L and a small one in 10L of soil and a RM#5 in 10L. The soil was amended with some bat guano this helped the #5 to stay healthy unlike the first run where she had severe deficiencies after week 4/5. Strangely the RM#2 is fading earlier on this run despite the bat guano and regular feedings, the tips of the leaves are already showing yellowing a t day 45 maybe it's just because she's a bit faster to flower being a clone and not a seedling. The RM#2 is once again very colorful but for now her leaves are pink/purple only on the underside, her calyxes have beautiful purple as well. The RM#2 has really a strange structure, she does not form big colas but she's making so much little flowers that she stil makes a decent yield. I'll be able to know which form is the most effective for her, a big bush or a smaller version not vegged so much.
The smells on the RM#2 are fantastic, she's a bit more sweet on this it seems but I have to wait until she dries to know for sure. The RM#5 has a more pronounced diesel nose due to the bat guano I think, it's a shame I lost her clone in veg when I accidently broke the stem when transplanting her.
Here is a pic of the RM#2 at day 45, I'll take some pics of the RM#5 later. It's not easy to see but there is 2 different clones of RM#2, a big one on the left and a smaller one on the right.

Attachments

• Rocky Melon #2.jpg
    Rocky Melon #2.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 71
Last edited:

kro-magnon

Veteran
I forgot to post pics of the RM#5 at day 45, here she is. The session is now at day 52/53, the RM#2 is getting close to be ready, I'll harvest those buds at different days to find the sweet spot between buds swelling/weight and earlier harvest possible. This ROCKY MELON is faster to bloom than her sisters, they really show some different expressions of those genes, the RM#2 is sweet smelling, fast bloomer(+/-55/60 days) when the RM#5 is more fuel smelling and need around 70 days to be at her peak.
On the seed run I harvested the RM#2 at 70 days to give her enough time to really swell to the max but I'm not sure it was necessary that's why I'll try different days this time starting at 55.

Attachments

• IMG20230518210945.jpg
    IMG20230518210945.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 61
  • IMG20230520214317.jpg
    IMG20230520214317.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 60

kro-magnon

Veteran
Great you managed to keep clones of the best phenos. I hope they give even better quality than the mothers. Once I find clones I like I tend to grow them in big pots as big plants to get more yield of consistent good quality flowers. I see the rocky Dennis indeed have low yields for their size, I'm curious if they would yield well as massive plants.

It's great you found new terps you enjoy! I'm curious what is smells/tastes like :D I can imagine it is hard to describe, I can't describe the Melo rado terps either.

I am curious how the taste and effect develop as the cure progresses - and if they get more gassy. I am a big fan of the deep pungent gassiness that (sonetimes) comes after more than a month of cure. Do you get any hashy/extract smells when burning the flowers?
Sorry for the late reply, I did not find big difference between the fresh buds or after a month in the jar, smell and high are pretty much the same for me. I don't really keep buds for long periods, if it happens I find the quality lower quite quickly. I'm not a fan of long curing, I find that useless for my taste.
I did not taste anything who could remind me haschich in the Rocky Melon buds but most of them have a typical fuel smell mix with a oily/ peanuty taste, I have already found peanut smell and taste in a Sour-Jack I've grown many years ago, I know it's a recurring taste in the Diesel family. The smell/taste of the Rocky Melon#2 is very different, I think she got this trait from the FLO, she is floral, berry smelling with a spicy back ground. I've eaten some leaves and they have an incredible taste who could be very nice to cook. I'll maybe try to make something with her leaves, it could make a vey fun dessert or to spice up a salade.
I'll make at least 2 more run with the Rocky Melon#2, those are already planned but it's possible a Cherry Gorilla will take her place as mother plant because they have some similarities and I can't keep many mothers in my small veg set-up. I need a different space dedicated to keep mothers and another to vegging.For a while I had 4 different grow spaces who allowed me to harvest every months, 1 mother/cloning space in a propagator DP90, a veg space in a 80x80cm and 2 flower tents, a 1m2 and a 1,5m2. It was nice to have a rotation like this. Now I veg in a 0,6M2 space and flower in 1,5/2m2 depending of the run, I miss having a harvest each month.

kro-magnon

Veteran
I have harvested the small Rocky Melon #2, she was at day 55 only, it's a bit early but she faded so early I wanted to try her buds at different stages. I have a bigger RM#2 still flowering, she has the same fade but I want to see how much she will swell with 7/10 more days of flowering, the seed plant was cut at day 70 but the low temps might have slowed her.

Attachments

• IMG20230526214720.jpg
    IMG20230526214720.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 68
  • IMG20230526214709.jpg
    IMG20230526214709.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 70
  • IMG20230526214658.jpg
    IMG20230526214658.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 95

kro-magnon

Veteran
I have harvested the bigger Rocky Melon #2 at 63 days of flowering, the room is on 11/13 since week 5 and being a clone this plant was faster to get mature than the seed version, the ambiant temperatures are also higher and this also plays a role in the process I think. I wanted to let her to 65 days but she does not take much more volume and don't drink a lot anymore so she got harvested.
Being in a perpetual set-up I need space in the flower room because I have a very small veg area so it was no brainer to cut this plant now. Another Rocky Melon #2 will take her place under the LED's panel, this one will be bigger, she had around 10 weeks of veg and will flower in a 30L pot. This plant is not a very big yielder because she does not make big colas but she has an insane taste so she still has a spot in my grow, I have her backed-up in veg.
I think this plant is not a common phenotype of the cross ROCKY MELON, I had 6 plants who could be divided in 3 different phenotypes, 2 of them were very similar in their flowers structure ans smells, the RM#1 and RM#3, the RM#4, #5 and #6 had a very similar terpenes profile with a bit different flowers structure and the RM#2 has an unique smell compared to her sisters and a different flowers structure as well, maybe she leans more on the FLO and MELON. She was the only plant with those traits out of the 6 I have harvested. I might be wrong but I think my RM#2 is not the typical ROCKY MELON but I'm glad I have her because her taste and smell are insanely good, a mix of floral, berry, melon and spice and she has a powerful upbeat high to complement it.

Attachments

• RM#2.jpg
    RM#2.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 78
  • Rocky Melon2.jpg
    Rocky Melon2.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 72
  • ROCKYMELON #2.jpg
    ROCKYMELON #2.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 68
Last edited:

kro-magnon

Veteran
This is some pictures of the ROCKY MELON #5 at day 63, she is looking very different on this run compared to the seed version, her flowers don't have the same shape but she is still a good yielder. She had a short veg period and flowered in a 10L pot of soil so she could not become huge but for her size she will produce a good amount of buds, she has some lowers as big as her tops, some are really impressive. She has the same smells a few RM females had, a mix of diesel and oily roasted peanuts, very strong odor totally different than her sister the RM#2. Her high is also different, it's kind of punch in your face type of high, more sedative than the RM#2 and very strong. I have not yet cut her but I will very soon. Sorry the low quality of the pictures I'll make better ones soon. This is her second and last run, I'd have kept her for one more but I broke the stalk of her vegging clone. I'll have to grow the SOWAHH to get my much needed Diesel buds.

Attachments

• RM#5.jpg
    RM#5.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 81
  • ROCKY MELON #5.jpg
    ROCKY MELON #5.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 70

kro-magnon

Veteran
Hi everybody, I"ve not logged on this forum for months, I had some serious health issues who kept me far from my garden so I've lost all my clones. I have to start a new garden now, I have some Sowah seeds I want to grow now I will certainly make another thread in this Karma sub-forum.
I have to build a box for my new grow to manage heat more easily. The seeds will be germ in the next days, I'm totally out of smoke so I have to work fast to fill my jars in a few months.

Last edited:

kro-magnon

Veteran
Great grow, how'd the high turn out on these? Just started 4.
The high was fast and hard hitting one on the dieselish ones, the one I've grown 3 times was a bit slower to get the full effect and very pleasant with a wonderful taste. This cross has some very nice expressions, you'll be very happy with yours buds once they are done.

Ravel

The high was fast and hard hitting one on the dieselish ones, the one I've grown 3 times was a bit slower to get the full effect and very pleasant with a wonderful taste. This cross has some very nice expressions, you'll be very happy with yours buds once they are done.

Sounds awesome, thanks man. How would you describe the wonderful taste? Fruity? Floral?

Cloneman

Veteran
Hi everybody, I"ve not logged on this forum for months, I had some serious health issues who kept me far from my garden so I've lost all my clones. I have to start a new garden now, I have some Sowah seeds I want to grow now I will certainly make another thread in this Karma sub-forum.
I have to build a box for my new grow to manage heat more easily. The seeds will be germ in the next days, I'm totally out of smoke so I have to work fast to fill my gars in a few months.
Good luck!

kro-magnon

Veteran
fyi with led if i dont use floor heating then I get around 22.5c with lights on, then I get lower yields. In hydro it was fine with low temps but now in soil I get lower yields unless I put on the floor heating and have the tents around 26-27c during most of the flowering period (and turn off the floor heating for the last weeks of maturing). Also with leds I find it yields more if you train the plant to have many small bud sites - but I'm not 100% sure about this one and can be related to the genetics more than the lights.

Im curious to hear about your smoke report ++
Hi man, can you tell me what you're using as floor heater? I'll maybe use some for this winter to keep the temps high enough to get the max yield possible. I'll use a box instead of the small room I used to raise the temps but it might not be enough, I'd like to find something who don't use a lot of watts because I bought LEDs to reduce the electricity bill.

DutchHazeDog

Hi man, can you tell me what you're using as floor heater? I'll maybe use some for this winter to keep the temps high enough to get the max yield possible. I'll use a box instead of the small room I used to raise the temps but it might not be enough, I'd like to find something who don't use a lot of watts because I bought LEDs to reduce the electricity bill.
Hey! I use floor heating of the room itself which may not be very efficient but it's a small room filled 1/3 with tents. I guess you could add an air intake tent and put a heater in it, and make your garden tent pull all it's air through that intake tent with the heater, and use an air sock or something to get a bit more uniform area of air coming in and position the air sock between / on the pots.
Good luck with the winter grow! Usually we all get better quality from the lower temps and low temp dry but if it's too cold the grow process slows down

DutchHazeDog

Sorry for the late reply, I did not find big difference between the fresh buds or after a month in the jar, smell and high are pretty much the same for me. I don't really keep buds for long periods, if it happens I find the quality lower quite quickly. I'm not a fan of long curing, I find that useless for my taste.
I did not taste anything who could remind me haschich in the Rocky Melon buds but most of them have a typical fuel smell mix with a oily/ peanuty taste, I have already found peanut smell and taste in a Sour-Jack I've grown many years ago, I know it's a recurring taste in the Diesel family. The smell/taste of the Rocky Melon#2 is very different, I think she got this trait from the FLO, she is floral, berry smelling with a spicy back ground. I've eaten some leaves and they have an incredible taste who could be very nice to cook. I'll maybe try to make something with her leaves, it could make a vey fun dessert or to spice up a salade.
I'll make at least 2 more run with the Rocky Melon#2, those are already planned but it's possible a Cherry Gorilla will take her place as mother plant because they have some similarities and I can't keep many mothers in my small veg set-up. I need a different space dedicated to keep mothers and another to vegging.For a while I had 4 different grow spaces who allowed me to harvest every months, 1 mother/cloning space in a propagator DP90, a veg space in a 80x80cm and 2 flower tents, a 1m2 and a 1,5m2. It was nice to have a rotation like this. Now I veg in a 0,6M2 space and flower in 1,5/2m2 depending of the run, I miss having a harvest each month.
So even in general you find flowers deteriorate as they cure more than 1 month? Do you have experience with flowers that get better with the cure period? If not then I guess it's merry Xmas for you because there's a whole world of next level quality weed to be discovered :D checkout dj shorty's interviews on Oregon cannabis stories YouTube. Personally I only smoke the flowers that get really deep dank after a long cure, the rest goes in the bin or edibles.

Latest posts

Latest posts