What's new

Rockwool Trees

yayarea

sorry for posting so many times, forgot to ask which site is dynomite posting at now? I would like to see what hes up to.

LyryC

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I didnt mean to come off like you had root rot, the stuff I circled is what it looked like. First the tips of the roots start to go light brown, then eventually the roots became a reddish dark brown. I still cant figure it out. I watered every other day in 7gal pots, they were definitely drying out on the verge of wilting sometimes. I used the same nute program as dyno copied his style to the T. I guess Im going to just have to give it a run again and see what happens:dunno:

Did you check for root aphids? Flush periodically regardless if you are flowering to clean the medium from salts?

LyryC

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Same Page

Same Page

absolutely you may! thats my greatest interest..currently im am not, however that is only because where i live is not very suitable to do so, only thing that grows up here are greens for the most part..i live above 9000 feet elevation, its very cold most of the year....back home, i used to grow oyster mushrooms commercially for a bit, the property that i lived on had chickens, a tropical fruit tree orchard and veggie gardens..it produced over 50% of my food...im at a point in my life where food production interests me 1000 times more than growing herb, im at a point with herb where theres not much left to learn..i dont study or research herb at all anymore, only food production and self sustainability

infact the only reason im even growing right now is to set my self up for 100% self sustainability in the next 2 years, to the point paper money would hold no value in my day to day life...i plan to farm meat (chicken, goats, talapia) and all the veggies, fruits, herbs and wheats needed for a complete balanced diet..power will be from the sun and wind and water will be harvested from the sky
..im a DIY addict, and dont see a reason to work just to pay someone to do something i can do myself, for free...its all about cutting out all the middle men from your life and going back to working the land

Amen brother! You stole the words out of my mouth!!!

I'm currently taking Horticulture at school and :woohoo::woohoo:!!!!

One of my classes I have a 10x10 lot just for me to grow food ^_^

Look up Ron Finely, heres a good start I want to be a Guerrilla gardener in my community like him. I actually, technically, live down the road from him in Socal :)

I need to learn boat loads about plants, cannabis, growing, food, everything still, but I am past the fundamentals. I grow more food right now than Cannabis but exactly like you, I want to go off grid and be in harmony with nature.

Unfortunately I am a young man who is trapped in the monetary enslavement system of good old 'merica. I fear that I will be unable to truly conquer my ambitions for quite some time(years). My current goal is to find a female companion/partner to start a journey to self sustainability. I need the support but also the help, and in order to create a good foundation and re instilling the trend and power of gardening back to the people I could use more ideas. But its hard to find a girl who isn't after my weed lol and its even harder to find one who isn't tainted by societies disgusting habits and expectations, at least where I currently am.

I see my native land in Europe as the stepping stone for this agenda.

Your old place with the mini farm setup sounds serine.

No pressure on the pictures, but for the record, you got some skills. :tiphat:

Bakershred

I hear everyone on the sustainability. The things we get wrapped up that we think are important aren't. Definetely need to get back to the basics with a mix of modern science thrown in. That being said thanks for the reply Don. I don't think I can pm yet as I haven't posted to much on this site, but I sent a contact to you. As of now I've got one room that's 10x24 that I've got 11kws all vert with 10 plants currently in 20gl smart pots about 3/4 full with a 80/20 hydroton/coco mix. I was thinking of pulling the three 1000 that run down the middle of the room and making them horizontal with adust a wings. I currently have my next round just rooted in rockwool plugs and am going to drop them into the 4 inch cubes and than I believe you had said 4gl pots and than to 20gl. Does that sound right. I was wondering how easy it is to transplant from pots with the flock. I've only used blocks before. One last question I was looking for the rockwool the other day and they have one thats says "water repellent" but also one that's water absorbent. I'd assume it would be the water absorbent. Shoot me a pm if you can. If not no worries.

OLordy

Just buy it online. If I got two bales online with shipping - it would be the same number as one bale in a local hydro store. Grodan slabs 46# - $56 (one at hydro store or two shipped to you door for the same $56)

Bakershred

Thanks DJ! I'm a bit confused on how to send a pm as I can't do it either. I'm assuming you must have so many posts to send a pm. I figured as much with letting the medium dry out prior to transplanting. I just dropped the rooted plugs into the 4 inch cubes. I'm still debating on whether or not to run the 80/20 hydroton/coco mix or this rockwool subtrate. In reading your post you stated that your not going to be recirculating the nutrient solution. This was one of the reasons I was going to run this medium was so I could recirculate the nutrient solution. Why have you chosen to not recirculate? Con's outweigh the pro's? Thanks again. I've got a few weeks to decide what medium I'll be using

cyat

Veteran
hey don... got some girls in 1 gal o floc... rockin nice on pure blend pro.. thinkin the floc could be perfect for for takin clones in cups.. gonna try some.. all moms are goin in it too

cyat

Veteran
s2b.... yellow-gold w gh drops , so around 6...waters pretty hard

pbp and budswell

last run was mini cubes w ocean forest on top no ph ing no run off .. this run floc dtw

Bakershred

Thanks DJ!! I've got roots coming out of the four inch cubes so I'm going to let the cubes fill with roots and then transplant into either a four or five gl container. What do you suggest as a container as I've only transplanted to larger blocks of RW before. I'm assuming it doesn't matter as long as the wool has enough roots in it to be able to pull the plant out for transplant. I also am going to use rectangular 20 gl totes instead of round so the roots grow laterally instead of horizontally One last question have you ever used ewc tea with rockwool? I've been using this once a week in my coco blend with good results. I've also been using the Aptus boosters which do increase yield. I don't know if adding these beneficials to RW is a good idea or not so I figured I'd see if you've done any experimenting with either. I'll do some research on ewc tea and rw.

Desert Hydro

Veteran
whats going on guys? i havent been in here in a while and figured i would post what im up to. plants are vegging along nicely now. they are in hand watered rockwool cubes atm. soon to be moved in 1 gal pots of rockwool and then finally to the 5 gal buckets. the room is coming along nicely. setting up and taking down is much more work than i remember haha. i hope to not have to do it too many more times. i am gonna run 4 plants per 600w in vert donut cages with a total of 3 cages. they will be watered through drippers on a timer once a day until runoff. gonna run jacks/calnit and nothing else for the most part. i may throw in some random additives i have leftover but i will not be buying anything else. wanna keep it KISS as possible without wasting my leftover additives from previous runs. gotta set up my ductwork, run my drip lines and set up my RO system today and then i will be set to veg under the 600w in stead of my t5. i am gonna give them about 3-4 more weeks of veg under the 600 digilux and then flip.

Bakershred

I was thinking this morning on whether or not to use the grow wool or use either 80/20 or a 60/40 chow mix again. You had stated you didn't think that the quality of the flowers was as high with the rockwool as with dirt. I know you have some experience with using coco. Do you think this applies to coco also? I do a weekly feeding with tea, a feeding with Aptus additives which have bacteria and organics, and a feeding with the product Sea green, basically humic and fulvic acids. So I'm doing s somewhat chemical/organic combination. Just would like to know what you think the quality difference might be in the grow wool compared the chow mix. Also about recirculating the nutrients. I used to grow "krusty buckets" so I have a 50gl drum sunk into the ground. I remember reading you stating that your ladies were drinking 5gl a piece a day. So if this correct I'm assuming I would need a rather large reservoir to run recirculating system. I have ten plants so 5gl a day at their peak is 50gl a day. So I would need to be refilling the reservoir with nutrients and water every day. Basically with my current reservoir size it doesn't seem this would work in the later stages of plant growth. Probably be fine when the plants are smaller. Am I off with what I'm thinking? I just don't want run into any problems if I decide to use the wool. Also I was thinking about running the above weekly feeds in the wool. You think that's a bad idea to run tea and organic boosters in wool? I read a few papers on inoculating rw with bene's and it does work. Thanks for taking the time to read this and reply your insight is greatly appreciated.

Latest posts

Latest posts