What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

RO H2O Cost?

HarleyJammer

Veteran
This is for the hardcore number crunchers -- Equipment/usage cost; How much do you think it costs to procure a gallon of RO water? Today I saw a machine outside a store that dispenses RO water for .25usd/gal.

Ca++

In the UK, some homes pay a fixed water bill, while others are metered. This means that adding an RO filter to your home, may or may not effect your bill.
On my meter, I paid about £4 per cubic meter. That is about $5, and 120 gallons. The RO machine creates waste. How much is different between filters. I may well of got 40 of them gallons, and chucked 80. So we are at 12.5 cents per gallon. To which we must add the filters installation and maintenance cost.
iirc a 20gpd unit is about $50 and lasts bloody ages. Then new elements are about $30.

Is 'bloody ages' a unit we can work with?
In 3 months that might provide 2500 gallons. A couple of cents each.

15 cents per gallon might be a reasonable production cost.
As most of that is the water companies, then the presence of a water meter is a big deal.