What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Right dosage for cannabis oil

chusss

Hi everyone, after some years vaporizing weed i ended up tired due the short and "weak" effects, so today i have made a small sample of thc oilve oil, i cooked 2g of weed in 50 ml of oil, as i did read the right dose for edibles is 0.125g - 0.5g, i want to star with 0.25g so this would be 6.25 ml of my oil (about 125 drops )

But i have readed an article with quite similar proportions of grams and mililiters and it said to try at first 1 or 2 drops wich i find ridiculously low compared to my 125 drops calculous for those 0.25g, any thoughs about the correct dosage?

@peace

Hey man, to calculate it you will want to make an assumption about how strong your cannabis is. I use outdoor and guess at 16% thc based on comparisons to dispensary weed as I can't test easily. I use edibles exclusively, I use olive oil for cookies, cocoa butter infused with dry sift to make chocolate bars, and alcohol tincture from bubble hash and flower. The fat based edibles tend to be sedative if that's what you're after. I mainly use tincture as the effects are quicker and it is the only way I can pick up the sativa effects strongly, which is what I'm usually going for.

A rough way to calculate is to multiply your thc % by 10 to figure out how many mg of thc there is in a gram of bud. So in my case I have 160 mg of thc (16% x 10) per gram of bud. So in your case I would count that as 320 mg (2g of 16%). For tincture I will take about 40 mg worth at a time. This leaves me with a nice happy functional sativa high. Same weed infused into olive oil and made into a cookie is good at about 30 mg with much more noticeable body effects. I can top up on tincture about every 3 hours and I do the edibles at 4 - 5 hours. Depends on your tolerance levels though. I have seen people have enough at 5 - 10 mg if their tolerance is low. Start with 10mg or 20mg and go from there would be my thoughts. It's easy to take more next time, harder to sweat out too strong of an edible high. Hope that helps.

chusss

Thanks for taking your time to write back your answer 👍

The fat based edibles tend to be sedative if that's what you're after. I mainly use tincture as the effects are quicker and it is the only way I can pick up the sativa effects strongly, which is what I'm usually going for.

Its sooo good to know it, because i didnt was aware of this before, i am in search for much more sativa effects, so i guess that i am gonna make again another kind of recipe alcohol based, tomorrow im gonna do my first try with the oil that i have done and then ill writte some comments here, i hope it dont be quite sedative 😓, im not into this for sleep instead for trip and laugh :cool::p

@peace

(y). Should have mentioned that 10 - 20mg would be about 1.5 to 3 ml of oil that you made.

320 mg / 50 ml of oil = 6.4 mg / ml of oil
10 mg / 6.4 mg/ml = 1.5 ml (approx.) for a 10 mg dose
20 mg / 6.4 mg/ml = 3 ml (approx.) for a 20mg dose

For tincture I cook 2 oz of weed at 220 F for 45 min then put it in a mason jar with 500 ml of 95% alcohol and put it in the fridge for 2 weeks to one month. Then I filter it through a French press and if it is still too dirty I put it through a pre - soaked coffee filter. The method I use can taste strong if you don't have fruity smelling weed. Some people don't like the taste, there is a quick wash freezer method that has a lot less green flavour if that's a problem. I haven't used it though so I can't speak to it.

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
I would take 1oz at least 230F for 30 min and the other 1oz just cold maceration without any heating to get a full spectrum cannabis tincture.Its a kind of a dual extraction.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
Hi everyone, after some years vaporizing weed i ended up tired due the short and "weak" effects, so today i have made a small sample of thc oilve oil, i cooked 2g of weed in 50 ml of oil, as i did read the right dose for edibles is 0.125g - 0.5g, i want to star with 0.25g so this would be 6.25 ml of my oil (about 125 drops )

But i have readed an article with quite similar proportions of grams and mililiters and it said to try at first 1 or 2 drops wich i find ridiculously low compared to my 125 drops calculous for those 0.25g, any thoughs about the correct dosage?
Based on the calc I created some time ago 2g (will say 16% THC (avg)) x 50ml = 324mg (total) or 6.24mg/ml

chusss

Well guys here comes the smoke report or should i say the eat report, or maybe not, because after an amount of 3 ml of the oil i felt no high, nothing at all, i dont know if its due some mistake with the cooking process or something else, what i did was first step was to wash the weed in warm water for 24 hours to avoid the chlorophyll taste, then i put that wet weed in the oven, 120ºC for 40 minutes for descarboxilate it, and after that i placed it in a little glass jar with the oil and this into a big pot with water right under boiling temperature for 2 hours

So yesterday i made some thc alcohol, with rum, this time i just made the descarboxilation and then i did put it into the rum, nothing else, its suppossed that after 3 days the cannabinoids and terpenes gonna be mixed with the liquor, i'll tell you the results in few days

chusss

I would take 1oz at least 230F for 30 min and the other 1oz just cold maceration without any heating to get a full spectrum cannabis tincture.Its a kind of a dual extraction.
But for the cold maceration it takes about 4-6 weeks to be ready if im not wrong, maybe i will try it in the future, but this time i was in a hurry cause its been a while since my last really good and powerfull high and i wanted some more quick recipe

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
But for the cold maceration it takes about 4-6 weeks to be ready if im not wrong, maybe i will try it in the future, but this time i was in a hurry cause its been a while since my last really good and powerfull high and i wanted some more quick recipe
Max temp to evaporate you can use is 40 C (104F), otherwise it's not so good for the terpenes.

@peace

@chusss I have never done well eating straight infused olive or coconut oil, bugs my stomach a lot and I don't seem to get as high, I used to make caps out of both but found them not as helpful as when the same amount is made into food. Sounds like you have a pretty good tolerance. I cook my weed at 220F for 40 min in the oven, then cover it with oil and cook for another 40 min in the oven. I have never washed the weed prior, I would try it without doing that. Below is a cookie recipe that I have used for years if you are worried about taste, it covers it well. I have always gotten high from them. I would use about 12 grams of cannabis in 1/2 cup of olive oil. That would be roughly 2000 mg in the half cup. Then you can make however many cookies that you like from that amount. 1/2 cup will make 24 small cookies but they can be made whatever size you want if your looking for something quick and don't have the small pan that's in the recipe. If you want a really powerful edible high then eat them on an empty stomach and eat something about 45 minutes later, usually that brings it on harder.

@peace

For tincture I never really got high from it until I started to use the 95% drinking alcohol (Everclear is the popular brand) vs 40%. I even tried a 70% vodka and didn't find it very useful. I know the 95% is not available everywhere but if it is an option then that is what I would use. Good luck.

Reactions: Gry

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
Well guys here comes the smoke report or should i say the eat report, or maybe not, because after an amount of 3 ml of the oil i felt no high, nothing at all, i dont know if its due some mistake with the cooking process or something else, what i did was first step was to wash the weed in warm water for 24 hours to avoid the chlorophyll taste, then i put that wet weed in the oven, 120ºC for 40 minutes for descarboxilate it, and after that i placed it in a little glass jar with the oil and this into a big pot with water right under boiling temperature for 2 hours

So yesterday i made some thc alcohol, with rum, this time i just made the descarboxilation and then i did put it into the rum, nothing else, its suppossed that after 3 days the cannabinoids and terpenes gonna be mixed with the liquor, i'll tell you the results in few days
Never heard of that and you decarboxilate in the oil, not the oven. I decarboxilate in an oven @225 for 25 min for my marypills... and use going on 6hr ride. Ea pill is between 0.22-0.26g. For deboxing in oil same temp, same time frame. You are mixing 3 seperate techniques, to achieve one goal. I suggest you start reading up on the subject 1st. :tiphat:

chusss

After a couple of tries with oil and rum and no results i moved to the "milk" and it kind of works, because the effects that i obtain are not strong enough for the amount of weed that i used in the recipe wich is about the double that i used to vape in one session and as i said the effects are no quite strong

Im thinking its because i cooked it too much time, what i do is mix about 100 ml of milk, 30 ml of olive oil to add more fats and 10g of chocolate , and cooking all the mix making tiny bubbles for 1 hour, the mix is quite thick so im adding little amounts of milk each 10 minutes, i think that im destroying a good part ot the thc, im gonna try to do the same but cooking it for 30 minutes, all the mix is quite fatty so maybe is not necessary cooking it that much to release the thc and i am ruin the cannabinoids by cooking it for 1 hour, any thoughts?

blondie

You have an instapot by chance? It makes things very easy

1) get small mason jar
2) grind 1/8 or 1/4 oz into mason jar
3) pressure cook in instapot an hour or more
4) get recipe - I use brownie mix and add the amount of olive oil it calls for to the mason jar
5) pressure cook again at least an hour
6) strain through cheesecloth or something similar
7) add olive oil to brownie mix and cook
8) for extra strong, don’t strain and use cooked flower in mix with oil. This is really really strong.

FletchF.Fletch

420club
image.jpeg

Oil in the Making.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 84

FletchF.Fletch

420club
For this batch, Coconut Oil (works the same with Olive) added to some old nugs, larf, and spent pucks from pressing rosin. Oil and weed was heated on low in a saucepan for a couple of hours. Turned it on for 30 minutes, then off for the same time, stirring and workimg the oil into the bits. Then added a couple cups of water and brought it to a boil for an hour. Let sit overnight then strained through cheesecloth.

image.jpeg

Tomorrow we make Gummies!!

blondie

I’ve been trolling the gummy threads and have a bunch of stuff in my amazon cart. Getting ready to pull the trigger. Good to see this thread..

chusss

On my last try, for a "quick recipe", what i did was to boil some weed in water for 45 min to descarboxilate it, enough amount water to dont let the grass to touch the bottom of the saucepan and prevent ruin the thrics

Then i cooked it again another 45 min with olive oil, milk and chocolate, let it all making tiny bubbles, and what a high o_O:LOL: next day i was totally asleeped physically and mentally

Next time im gonna do the same but just with oil, for the milk doesnt get expired, i dont want to go through all these cooking phases every time that i wanna get high, call me lazy

The only problem with this is that the high is maybe a litte bit sedative, maybe, im not sure, i need to do more tries, and if it is so, get some good racyness grass, but for a long lasting and powerful ryde these edibles works well

Latest posts

Latest posts