What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Rick Simpson - healing with cannabis oil - videos and more

Cuddles

I thought that it was time for me to re-watch/download the Run from the Cure film and whilst searching, I came across some more videos too.
Please feel free to post your own links, videos or information here too :)

1st video: RUN FROM THE CURE :

mexweed

Veteran
from a health standpoint isn't naphtha one of the worst solvents to use, maybe only behind acetone or xylene, is there a reason a full spectrum extract can't be done with co2 or there is also very high proof organic grape alcohol if one doesn't want to use everclear

I guess what I'm getting at is does it have to be naphtha and if so why

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
forget about RSO and focus on FECO.

best practice is to extract water hash from flowers, concentrationg the resin before using alcohol to extract

dissolve water hash in warm alcohol and freeze to winterize, separating non active waxes and other compounds.

separate the alcohol extraction from the winterized byproducts.

remove alcohol in a 240 degree F hot oil bath followed by decarb OR remove alcohol by evaporation without heat to maintain cannabinoids in their non psycoactive acid state.

extraction of plant material with toxic solvents is poor practice and easy to eliminate through other separation techniques that are very inexpensive.

big315smooth

mama tried
Veteran
from a health standpoint isn't naphtha one of the worst solvents to use, maybe only behind acetone or xylene, is there a reason a full spectrum extract can't be done with co2 or there is also very high proof organic grape alcohol if one doesn't want to use everclear

i use corn liqueur. easy to make to

Parameter

Why is acetone one of the worst solvents? I’m not questioning you. I only want to know why.

mexweed

Veteran
honestly it just rolled off the tip of my tongue, hexane was what I was actually thinking of

acetone seems to have the least carcinogenic risk, but I'd guess there is still an issue with getting it completely fully purged from the finished material like there is with other solvents, and getting a really clean pure version of it vs something from a paint store or cosmetics industry might be a bit more leg work, I always take "food safe" into account too such as with the organic grape alcohol, and with RSO people are more than likely going tincture or be eating it rather than dabbing

CHSAdmin

honestly it just rolled off the tip of my tongue, hexane was what I was actually thinking of

acetone seems to have the least carcinogenic risk, but I'd guess there is still an issue with getting it completely fully purged from the finished material like there is with other solvents, and getting a really clean pure version of it vs something from a paint store or cosmetics industry might be a bit more leg work, I always take "food safe" into account too such as with the organic grape alcohol, and with RSO people are more than likely going tincture or be eating it rather than dabbing
You have to have the right process in order to guarantee little or no residual solvents. I've engineered RxCE as a two step reduction to do just that. With this approach, the bulk alcohol is boiled off, then ethanol used to rehydrate the oils for winterization and the final reduction and decarbing. This second reduction and decarbing act as a virtual firewall against residual solvents. There are multiple lab test showing undetectable residual solvents using this approach as shown on the home page.