What's new

Richard Branson: A Watershed Moment for Drug Reform in the U.S.

Skip

Veteran
Outspoken entrepreneur Richard Branson, is calling this election "A watershed moment for drug reform in the U.S." He calls drug reform a non-partisan issue that should be addressed by both parties especially now that a majority of public opinion supports some form of drug law reform. Branson has become a leading voice with a lot of business clout on the issue of Marijuana and drug reform.
if we can get U.S. political leaders to understand the opportunity and take action, we have a very real chance to turn the tide on the war on drugs and end needless suffering.

A large portion of the money spent on the war on drugs goes toward criminalization. I recently had the privilege of spending time with Bryan Stevenson of the Equal Justice Initiative. I was shocked when he pointed out that back in the 1970s there were only 300,000 people in prison in the U.S.! Forty years later, the number of people incarcerated -- 2.3 million -- is greater than the population of Houston, Texas. He attributes much of the increase to American drug policy, with minorities taking the hardest hit. Stevenson shared that 1 in 3 black men in the U.S. will be incarcerated between the ages of 18 and 30. (Michelle Alexander has written a book, The New Jim Crow, which illustrates how the war on drugs has in fact created this system of mass incarceration.)
A focus on criminalization also undercuts future economic development. A recent Pew study revealed that incarceration reduces former inmates' earnings by 40 percent -- further devastating their families and their communities.
This type of blanket incarceration dismisses root causes, disenfranchises millions and most likely results in repeat offenses rather than cleaning up the problem. We need new approaches that treat drug use as a health issue and not a criminal one.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/richard-branson/to-win-the-drug-war-follow-the-states_b_1852870.html

G

Guest 88950

play by their rules................Branson needs to rally support from his wealthy friends and support / start a SuperPAC to address drug law reform and start with a Rescheduling of Cannabis to a schedule II controlled substance.

i just wonder what can be done with regards to Cannabis since the enforcement and legality are dictated by the treaties signed by most nations in order to receive US MONEY.

Infinitesimal

my strength is a number, and my soul lies in every
ICMag Donor
Veteran
how different is schedule 2... opium is schedule 2 is that much less restricted?

kmk420kali

Freedom Fighter
Veteran
I am still trying to figure out how they have Marinol and Sativex...from a Schedule 1 drug!!??
Needs to be a Schedule 4...if not dropped completely from Scheduling!!

The Guidelines also provide guidance for selecting an appropriate schedule for psychotropic substances under the 1971 Convention, as follows:

Schedule I

Substances whose liability to abuse constitutes an especially serious risk to public health and which have very limited, if any, therapeutic usefulness.

Schedule II

Substances whose liability to abuse constitutes a substantial risk to public health and which have little to moderate therapeutic usefulness.

Schedule III

Substances whose liability to abuse constitutes a substantial risk to public health and which have moderate to great therapeutic usefulness.

Schedule IV

Substances whose liability to abuse constitutes a smaller but still significant risk to public health and which have a therapeutic usefulness from little to great.
http://apps.who.int/medicinedocs/en/d/Js4896e/2.html

vta

Veteran
play by their rules................Branson needs to rally support from his wealthy friends and support / start a SuperPAC to address drug law reform and start with a Rescheduling of Cannabis to a schedule II controlled substance.

I know Branson is a powerful advocate for legalization....and I think it is great he was part of that recent report from former and current presidents favoring legalization. But hey..this guy has billions! I totally agree with you SSH. He could easily create a lobbying power.

But...if cannabis gets rescheduled to II...were still screwed. Even at III, IV or V nobody would be able to grow it.
Controlled Substances Act said:
No controlled substance in schedule V which is a drug may be distributed or dispensed other than for a medical purpose.

It needs to be not scheduled, like nicotine, in order to truly free the plant.

So back to Branson....he should put his money where his mouth is and start a PR campaign. A drop from his bucket could create a political organization that gets initiatives going...lots of commercials etc.

Grass Lands

Veteran
This plant will be part of the black market for many years to come...there ain't no way in hell the us gov will give up their cash cow...

Jon 54

Our elected Representatives in Washington need to get off there fat asses and listen to a man who is highly intelligent and knows more about drug reform and how to accomplish it with sanity and in a professional manner. The way it stands right know we need to change the out-dated laws that the conservative old farts keep following and who stand behind a man like Romney whose mind is in the dark ages when it comes to drug reform. It seems that the current President is also a out and out liar who is now trying to bullshit the public again when it comes to MMJ and how to regulate it.

If people would listen to new ideas like Mr. Branson has come up with maybe than the laws can be changed for the better.Just think how the cops and prison guards and there money making prison industries will cry to there unions and all the bullshit lies they will throw upon the general public to save there money making jobs which are paid for by people arrested and put into the prison system for having a ounce or less of Marijuana.

Jon 54 :plant grow::plant grow:

Branson: a decent mullet

Branson: a decent mullet

His peace

a_wbranson_0428.jpg

G

Guest 88950

if Cannabis is a Schedule II then by definition there is accepted medicinal value and then how can the criminal court system deny my right to the ONLY thing that stops my spasms?

i grow in fla so a rescheduling of Cannabis strengthens my defense to a safe medicine.

ill take my chances in front of a jury any day.

G

Guest 88950

i know.

many have told me to move to a med state but why should i move from family / work / friends?

if Cannabis is safe to use as medicine in other states then its safe to use here and just b/c my legislators are bible belt conservative and do not recognize Cannabis as medicine doesnt deter me.............plus some need to stay and fight.

DIDM

Malaika
Veteran
you guys can't see very clearly eh?

this is awesome, but this man has a fucking lock here. What is one thing we all want?

Virgin Marijuana

:tiphat:

his brand is perfect for a plant that is best when still a virgin

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Check it out guys lets call out the white house on the issue publicly using our right to petition our government.

http://wh.gov/D17h

Sign the petition, lets put them on the spot!

armedoldhippy

Veteran
I was going to say, Coke is schedule 2, how's that working out for everyone?
sch. 2 is still legal for medical usage. dental patients that cannot tolerate synthetic painkillers get it, so do some folks with bad nosebleeds. saw a girl treated for a nosebleed; they took a huge q-tip swab, wetted it, rolled it in pure blow, & shoved it up her nose. problem solved!

Latest posts

Latest posts