What's new

rice hulls

w4tch

Granite Seed in Denver stocks pallets of rice hulls. Last I checked they were $13 per 45ish pound bag.

do you know what the shipping damage is? piwine is $26 shipping/50 lb bag. They are also $13 a 50 lb bag. So it comes out to $39 for a 50lb bag total.

I guess shipping is what really makes things expensive and my local places know this and charge the same price the internet does (brew store wants to get me $45 for a 50 lb bag. Like what?!?!

Get a pallet, and save on shipping. I would ship a pallet to ABQ, NM for about $150 from Denver. Usually it won't run more then $200. Then you can sell it to all of your friends. :)

Team Microbe

Veteran
Found em from the source - RiceLand

Found em from the source - RiceLand

I finally called RiceLand today, and talked to someone about freight charges. They're located in Arkansas, so the closer you are the cheaper it'll be to ship pretty much.

They sell the bales for 7.99 each (50 lbs)

The shipping is what costs the most... I did some numbers for my location, they may be cheaper/more expensive for your location depending on where you're at. If you call them and leave a number with the receptionist, she'll get back to you the next day with a quote. Very nice lady!

picture.php

So it's basically $30 a bale, which is $10 cheaper compared to www.piwine.com who sells em for $40 per bale. She said there's no minimum order amount, you can order 1 or you can order more - there's 16 to a pallet she said. They do sell a larger sack, but it requires a machine to lift so while it would be cheaper, it's not the best option for me since I'm hauling them through the bush on my back. If you don't need to transport them to your spot then ask about the larger sack option.

Hope this helps :tiphat:

Tipz

anyone got a good online source for rice hulls that
offers BULK and reasonable pricing. ?

everything ive been finding is only selling like 5lbs..
Id like to buy this in 50lb bags if possible.

any other areas that I can look to possibly source my own
rice hulls locally?

Ive read here that a brewery would be a possibly good place
to check out, ill give that a try.

There probably isnt any concern about the rice being used to
strain BEER? Right? That will just break down while
composting i figure?

I love rice hulls in my mix, try finding a brewery, or even a microbrewery. Some just discard the hulls, a few are smarter and sell them. If your really looking for a neutral organic mix I just tried a mix called organic mechanix, it's to damn expensive but it has all the good stuff.... Rice hulls, coco, guanosine etc. best tipz

I love rice hulls in my mix, try finding a brewery, or even a microbrewery. Some just discard the hulls, a few are smarter and sell them. If your really looking for a neutral organic mix I just tried a mix called organic mechanix, it's to damn expensive but it has all the good stuff.... Rice hulls, coco, guanosine etc. best tipz

I went with Riceland, source for more retail places.
Cheaper
Easier

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I get wheat hulls for free from my local flour mill.

Does anybody know if there's much difference between these & rice hulls?

I have to sift the excess flour from the free bags but the flour can be composted as well.

The flour can also be fed to pigs n cattle n such.

Thechewmaster

For those in the Central Valley of ca. I just got rice hulls in a 50lb sack for 11 dollars. From western feed and pet supply, I had to ask the. To include it in their supply shipment to the store. They sell it as bedding for mainly chickens, but horses too

Latest posts

Latest posts