What's new

Revival of the Ultimate Sativa Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Happy 7

In my experience feeding molasses and brown sugar is very effective, I wonder why the yellowing?? Could it have been another factor? Or could it be strain dependent? Hmmm

Not strain dependent. Other plants showed same symptoms. Looked like nutrient lock out due to very high sodium levels.

R

recent guest

Not strain dependent. Other plants showed same symptoms. Looked like nutrient lock out due to very high sodium levels.

Huh. So with my soil, and this is for my whole garden not just tha weed, I mix two tablespoons per gallon of water/nute solution EVERY time I water. Perhaps you have a microfauna deficiency? I make sure to constantly replenish my micro-populations using compost tea and inoculants (basically adding soils from different parts of the garden to potted plants, and adding compost samples from pile to pile. The basic purpose of adding sugars to soil (and I also add unadulterated flours/seed meals) is to provide the microfauna with food to digest, that they then build a substantial population and then produce helpful bi-products for the root systems to absorb.

Insofar as microbial/fungal populations are concerned, I have kept the same strain (same organism actually) of Brazilian psylocybe mycelium alive for over a year now by inoculating different compost piles with pieces of it. Shit takes over! I know its the same strain because I keep getting the same mushrooms popping up out of the heaps and even out of some of my wetter potted plants.

R

recent guest

But where is the sodium coming from? Molasses doesnt have high sodium levels I dont think. Could also be a pH issue, which would make sense because I use copious amounts of biocharcoal and lime to balance my pH at 6, and maybe without those additives the pH balance could be waked off?

Ur Humbl Nr8tor

Veteran
Bushweed - Beautiful plants, and very nice looking cure to the Haze bud.

Question: Would you say that Thai genetics are the dominant strains down under?

I live in a borderline Mediterranean\temperate climate in the U.S. Generally, I think growers here have given up on tweaking sativa strains to adapt them to the local climate, and given themselves over to indica dominant plants. They use sativa to increase yield of the indica. I should probably move to Australia.

However, the politics are starting move here. I never thought cannabis would be decriminalized here in my lifetime, but there are now two states that have now legalized albeit under strict regulations and heavy taxation. There are about 15 states that allow medical grows.

Unfortunately, I don't believe the quality will come back until the profit motive is removed from the equation. Unlikely, unless decriminalization is pure and widespread.

What are the politics like in down there?

Please keep posting the pics that make this thread so great.

Thanks, and All the Best.

ThaiBliss,

The tides are slowly moving in the 'States', but we can't wait for forever. Sativas can be bred in certain climates in the US. With a green house and ingenuity, likely many more. Keep it green!

blan-k-flor

Veteran
Sativa garden:biggrin:

picture.php

:wave:

DreamsofTesla

Veteran
My ladies are budding out all over the place. Even the little G13 Hazes which have been behind the pack, when I went to check them today the bud sites are becoming quite obvious just in the last few days.

3-6 bud sites 003.jpg

3-6 bud sites 004.jpg

One of the Nepalis in particular has exploded into flower, I can't count all the bud sites. Hard to photograph them even.

3-6 bud sites 002.jpg

3-6 bud sites 009.jpg

Can someone tell me the benefit of the molasses? I can go get some tomorrow. Also, to help pump up the G13 that are lagging behind, someone told me to give them a heavy dose of nutes and a bit of epsom salts. Do you agree?

Thanks
<3 Tesla

R

recent guest

My ladies are budding out all over the place. Even the little G13 Hazes which have been behind the pack, when I went to check them today the bud sites are becoming quite obvious just in the last few days.

View attachment 211135

View attachment 211136

One of the Nepalis in particular has exploded into flower, I can't count all the bud sites. Hard to photograph them even.

View attachment 211137

View attachment 211138

Can someone tell me the benefit of the molasses? I can go get some tomorrow. Also, to help pump up the G13 that are lagging behind, someone told me to give them a heavy dose of nutes and a bit of epsom salts. Do you agree?

Thanks
<3 Tesla

Here is a post from a few days back:

Huh. So with my soil, and this is for my whole garden not just tha weed, I mix two tablespoons per gallon of water/nute solution EVERY time I water. Perhaps you have a microfauna deficiency? I make sure to constantly replenish my micro-populations using compost tea and inoculants (basically adding soils from different parts of the garden to potted plants, and adding compost samples from pile to pile. The basic purpose of adding sugars to soil (and I also add unadulterated flours/seed meals) is to provide the microfauna with food to digest, that they then build a substantial population and then produce helpful bi-products for the root systems to absorb.

Insofar as microbial/fungal populations are concerned, I have kept the same strain (same organism actually) of Brazilian psylocybe mycelium alive for over a year now by inoculating different compost piles with pieces of it. Shit takes over! I know its the same strain because I keep getting the same mushrooms popping up out of the heaps and even out of some of my wetter potted plants.

Molasses is just water soluble, high energy organic matter that for all intents and purposes will 'compost' quickly within your soil, meaning it will be digested by microfauna. The byproducts of that process are beneficial to your plants, and so is having a large healthy population of microfauna in your soil. Soil is an ecosystem, even soil contained in a pot. Within that ecosystem very small organisms are constantly being born, dying, decaying, eating.... and your plants roots have evolved over eons to take advantage of all the things that those small organisms do. Feeding them increases their number, just like plentiful food supplies increases human population.

Some say, and Jorge Cervantes says this in his grow bible, that you add molasses to your soil in the two weeks prior to harvest. Perhaps he means with the flush water? I took this advice with a grain of salt, because I have great success across domestic plant species when I add molasses/sugar/etc with every watering.

I have never used hydrogen peroxide or epsom salts, but I think the purpose of adding epsom salts to soil is to add trace elements, particularly magnesium. I dont do it, but I do add heavy quantities of trace elements via a micronized dust called Azomite (A to Z of Minerals Including Trace Elements) that is mined from volcanic deposits near where I live. This adds all that a plant needs and since I have used it, not only have I never had a deficiency but the plants have been almost twice as vigorous. When I first started doing it I did experimental plantings with some anual vines, 5 with Azomite and 5 without. The results were dramatic, very dramatic. The vines with the minerals grew a full third longer than the control group, produced larger, greener leaves, thicker stems and petioles, flowered a week earlier and bore nearly twice the flowers/fruit! These results translate to Cannabis cultivation. Azomite is available readily online. Peace!

DreamsofTesla

Veteran
Thanks Bear! I've heard of Azomite in terms of food gardening, but haven't branched out into using it in my weed garden. No reason I couldn't, I'm pretty sure they have it at my local store. I haven't been thinking about the microherd on my first grow here, because I'm using coir. But I'm going to give it a try. My dog will enjoy taking a ride to the store tomorrow.

Thanks!

This might be the best thread on any forum ever. I'm thinking of taking a week off of work just to read it all. :) Thanks for sharing this everybody, I'm blown away. Hopefully I'll have my own pics to share someday soon.

D

Durdy

I've been throwing Azomite into my soil mix, I like it! It's part of a 'mineral mix' I use that contains: Azomite, Glacial Rock Dust, Basalt Rock Dust, Oyster Shell Powder, and Gypsum :D

Lurked this thread for awhile by the way, love all your sativa ladies! Should have some of my own to share sometime down the road.

R

recent guest

Thanks Bear! I've heard of Azomite in terms of food gardening, but haven't branched out into using it in my weed garden. No reason I couldn't, I'm pretty sure they have it at my local store. I haven't been thinking about the microherd on my first grow here, because I'm using coir. But I'm going to give it a try. My dog will enjoy taking a ride to the store tomorrow.

Thanks!

Ha! My dog LOVES going to the nursery because they have a cage with two giant parrots and she just sits and growls at them while they make fun of her.

Really looking forward to watching that Nepali, then watching mine, then smoking mine, then talking about it :) what did the breeder say...seriously nice buzz? or electric buzz? something like that..anyway, Im in!

DreamsofTesla

Veteran
Really looking forward to watching that Nepali, then watching mine, then smoking mine, then talking about it :) what did the breeder say...seriously nice buzz? or electric buzz? something like that..anyway, Im in!

Well they were freebies with my order, so I wasn't expecting them. They're from the breeder Malberry, which if you read up on the thread on this board about him, is not to be trusted. Apparently his genetics are good, just that his business practices leave a lot to be desired.

The one tip I did receive about them, well actually it was about all sativas. I was told they really don't get to their full potential for about six months, that the third series of clones would likely be the winner.

<3 Tesla

R

recent guest

Well they were freebies with my order, so I wasn't expecting them. They're from the breeder Malberry, which if you read up on the thread on this board about him, is not to be trusted. Apparently his genetics are good, just that his business practices leave a lot to be desired.

The one tip I did receive about them, well actually it was about all sativas. I was told they really don't get to their full potential for about six months, that the third series of clones would likely be the winner.

<3 Tesla

Damn Im sorry to hear about the shady nature of a person associated with cannabis cultivation. Most of us are top notch!

Vis a vis clones gaining vigor, I would dissociate yourself from that conception. While it is true that clones of clones of clones, to the indefinite 'n' generation, could theoretically continue to be exact replicas of their mother plant, they typically are known to lose vigor through the cloning process. This is because if you take a clone from a stressed plant, it will sub-preform the donor plant, USUALLY. If you take a clone from a healthy plant, you can raise it to be as healthy as the donor plant, but you can stress it out as well, and the more times you take a generational clone, as in a clone of a clone, the more likely it is that eventually the n - 1 donor plant will be more stressed than the n - 2 donor plant, meaning that the clone you just took was a little more stressed than the clone you took the last time. With this logic, you see that stress can build up within a clone only strain and cause it to lose vigor, slowly, over time. This happens when a strain is passed around 'clone only' like Lemon Skunk used to be. I know this because I work in the home garden industry, and many types of houseplants (such as ficus trees, geraniums, bougainvillea...) are propagated by taking cuttings.

The way to obviously avoid this is to always take first generation clones from a mother grown from seed or that you know the whole history of (ie you grew the plant yourself from fresh clone or seed, or you got it from someone who grew it from seed). It occurs to me that this might be what you meant, because when a seed-grown mother is maintained, the clones you take from her when she is two months old will be stronger than the clones you take when she is a month old.

As far as Malberry goes, it sounds like you never actually DID business with him, and if he has good genetics, and you now HAVE those genetics, it doesnt really matter what kind of ethics the guys got, hes more or less out of the picture for you. Now its about you and the plant.

R

recent guest

Vis a vis clones gaining vigor, I would dissociate yourself from that conception.

To qualify myself here, this is true across the plant species that I have worked with in the past, but I have not anecdotally or experimentally proven this to be true for Marijuana. Im making an an educated assumption, so Im hoping someone can verify or negate it.

marijuanamat

Crazy X Seeds Breeder
Veteran
Just thought i'd pop a few pics of a few african seed co's durban poison i've been preserving.
I grew aload outdoors last season at 52*n but had to bring em indoors early dec and they didn't like it 1 bit,but i had taken aload of cuttings from em before they withered and died on me after getting around 200 seeds of em,so here's the clones grown indoors at the mo........2 weeks ago 10 weeks bloom
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

7 weeks bloom
picture.php

Hank Hemp

Veteran
Looks like you're starting to win that war. If it wasn't for the trippy buzz sativas wouldn't be worth it, huh.

Status
Not open for further replies.