What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Revival of the REVIVAL of the ULTIMATE SATIVA THREAD a.k.a R.U.S.T II

GreenAndFast

Mango Thai dusted with Sudanese pollen
Screenshot_20220511-170233.png

The mystery plants..
PXL_20220511_145129372.jpg
PXL_20220511_145126538.jpg

EL x RB. Really good resin development. Little pinkish if I'm seeing right?
PXL_20220511_144855491.MP.jpg

willydread

Dread & Alive
Veteran

funkyhorse

Zamal girl 1 developing PM in flower. In veg she was fungus free
I just let it be and flow with the plants. I dont like spraying my plants on flowering mode with anything
Zamal girl 1 (7).jpeg
Zamal girl 1 (6).jpeg

Zamal Girl 2 is fungus free
Zamal girl 2 (10).jpeg
Zamal girl 2 (11).jpeg

Thunk F2
The taller girl looks like haze leaning
Thunk f2 taller (4).jpeg
Thunk f2 taller (3).jpeg

Thunk F2 shorter girl is developing PM
I will have to watch her closely for mold, same as with any other skunk hybrid in my environment
Thunk f2 short (5).jpeg
Thunk f2 short (4).jpeg

Mangobiche CBG is making beautiful spikes, absolutely mold free, they are loving this environment. Mangobiche TLT makes pompons and not much resin so far
Mangobiche CBG
Mangobiche (2).jpeg

Have a nice weekend everybody

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
funkyhorse - a spray made of 40% milk and 60% water was as effective as chemical fungicides in managing powdery mildew of pumpkins and cucumbers grown in mildew.

Run a Google search hope it helps.

Sorry to take thread of topic but thought this may help others also.

funkyhorse

G'day Hempy
I hope is on topic, it is happening with ultimate sativas like Zamal
Thank you very much for the link
The fungus/PM is appearing on flower, not on veg. On my tomatoes when it appears it is happening in veg so I tried the local available products. Sadly I live in an agricultural area where the word organics is looked upon badly and people laugh at it. I live in a place where my neighbours spray glyphosate next to cities with more than 10.000 inhabitants and next to the window of the rural schools. If they spray glyphosate to their own kids, it means they dont really regard organics highly

I tried a product called Score from syngenta on my tomatoes. One spray was enough and forget about all fungus. Absolutely impressive. It saves my tomatoes. But I would never spray this thing if the tomato plant would be giving flower or fruit
With sativas is different. PM/fungus is happening during flowering and I dont want to spray anything be it organic or not on flowering stage. I just flow with it and let it grow and show themselves. If the genetics are good and I like them, I hope for them to get adapted locally like I am trying with CG72

This is my second year growing outdoors and my fourth year growing ganja in my life. After this year I am finnishing growing most of the interesting packs I bought
The result is clear. My environment is extreme and I am finding enough good quality genetics which are happy here
I cant grow indicas and hybrids properly. Only tropical long flowering sativas are happy here but not all of them are happy and not all of them are good
So the idea after growing and searching on the genetics I have, is to discover which ones I like best and to keep searching from there

I am particularly looking for strains that have long cure. Long cure means strains that in normal tropical temperature kept in dark in a jar after 1 year gets better and dont degrade. So far I found this quality on Thai and on seedsman haze
Long cure was a feature of ganja in the 20th century, most of the weed degrades after 6 months or less if not kept in efridges, freezers or low temperature rooms

These are my kind of hybrids, I have to make them myself
Double California (Seedsman Hz july pheno x CG72)
So far no fungus problems and I doubt there will be any. I think it is just a matter of finding the appropiate genetics for your own environment in order to get best results. When things dont flow, are forced and grown with a lot of effort are not going to be of the same quality of the plants that flow, love the environment and grow effortlessly
I just pollinized these girls with OTHaze(Sacramento sativa) pollen for some Triple California for next year if this stuff is of my liking
Double California.jpeg

Double California 2.jpeg

Double California 3.jpeg

Have a nice weekend

funkyhorse

I tried this weekend Score from Syngenta on one strain with the same dosage as with tomatoes and it seems cannabis needs stronger dose
Fungus dont have any preference for wide or narrow leaf
Durban CBG, beautiful thin leaf, I discovered this mutation during trimming
It is double leaf forming in the same leaf
Durban (7).jpeg
Durban (10).jpeg

After trim looks ok
Durban (5).jpeg

Durban Girl 2 is doing much better but is not so resinous as first girl
Durban girl 2 (4).jpeg
Durban girl 2 (3).jpeg

Purple Highland Laos fat leaf sativa, no fungus at all.
PHL (14).jpeg
PHL (15).jpeg

But outcrossed progeny from PHL makes fungus.
This is (NL5xH F3 x CTF5) x PHL. Progeny of the same girl crossed to Seedsman Hz x Ohz90 boys are fungusless. Any idea why?
X PHL 3.jpeg

Senegal JGL x (Seedsman Hz x Ohz90) is entering the stage "when you think is ready leave it one more week"
Senegal jgl 2 (4).jpeg

But Senegal Haze x (Seedsman Hz x Ohz90) is showing that with sativas when you think is ready, leave it maybe 10 days or 2 more weeks. I was complaining she wasnt making foxtails like indoors and look at this meaty foxtail she is making
Senegal haze 2 (12).jpeg

Have a nice, healthy and happy week everybody

Piff_cat

I tried this weekend Score from Syngenta on one strain with the same dosage as with tomatoes and it seems cannabis needs stronger dose
Fungus dont have any preference for wide or narrow leaf
Durban CBG, beautiful thin leaf, I discovered this mutation during trimming
It is double leaf forming in the same leaf
View attachment 18711714 View attachment 18711715
After trim looks ok
View attachment 18711716
Durban Girl 2 is doing much better but is not so resinous as first girl
View attachment 18711719 View attachment 18711720
Purple Highland Laos fat leaf sativa, no fungus at all.
View attachment 18711721 View attachment 18711722
But outcrossed progeny from PHL makes fungus.
This is (NL5xH F3 x CTF5) x PHL. Progeny of the same girl crossed to Seedsman Hz x Ohz90 boys are fungusless. Any idea why?
View attachment 18711723
Senegal JGL x (Seedsman Hz x Ohz90) is entering the stage "when you think is ready leave it one more week"
View attachment 18711724
But Senegal Haze x (Seedsman Hz x Ohz90) is showing that with sativas when you think is ready, leave it maybe 10 days or 2 more weeks. I was complaining she wasnt making foxtails like indoors and look at this meaty foxtail she is making
View attachment 18711725
Have a nice, healthy and happy week everybody
id guess that the difference can be influenced by the terpene profile lowland vs highland. for example lowland thai landraces have been known to have elevated farnese and other sequiterpenes. they are stongly anti fungal and higher in lignin as well which leads to higher terp content. tropical lowland plants existing in nearly 100 perent humidity all the time will die out quickly if not adapted. highland sativas also have mold resistant qualities but have more leeway due to location having a swing in humidity and diurnal light.

funkyhorse

id guess that the difference can be influenced by the terpene profile lowland vs highland. for example lowland thai landraces have been known to have elevated farnese and other sequiterpenes. they are stongly anti fungal and higher in lignin as well which leads to higher terp content. tropical lowland plants existing in nearly 100 perent humidity all the time will die out quickly if not adapted. highland sativas also have mold resistant qualities but have more leeway due to location having a swing in humidity and diurnal light.
@Wuachuma suggested me in the Durban thread to use a bit of gypsum in the soil, very appretiated
I will try it with the cut of this Zamal girl 1 which makes a lot of PM and I am leaving for the winter in hopes to keep it alive for next season
Mango pepper 1 (3).jpeg
Mango pepper 1 (4).jpeg

Purple Thunk F2, an outstanding beauty full of PM, without PM she would be a very strong challenger to Beauty of the Season crown
Thunk f2 short (6).jpeg
Thunk f2 short (7).jpeg
Thunk f2 short (8).jpeg

Things at lat 50N look a little bit different than at Landraceland
I struggle to understand what is being called lowland thai landrace. In the last 25 years the only thing grown in Lowland Thailand I heard of while living there were lone plants grown in someones garden or out of the beaten path, a plant or two, most of them coming out of the best batch of brick they could find. Nothing close to those numbers needed for mantaining a landrace variety
Before I came back to the western world and started with this growing adventure, I only knew ganja/marihuana or hashish, never hear of strains before. It was mostly brick and sometimes flowers according to location. But nothing like a widespread grow in Lowland Thailand where you are seeing natural landrace plants growing.
So I wonder what are scientists calling lowland landraces and how they studied them, where samples were obtained and plants kept where? Lat 50N?

What I have created with this greenhouse is what I wanted, a subtropical rainforest
And I find that breeding of tropical plants is not done at the tropics and they are bred in labs out of their natural environment. They get adapted to those environments and when they come back to Landraceland they have to be readapted because they want desertic environments now.
South American genetics have been wiped out of the canna world by the famous drug war. And all breeding selections have been done against them. I guess it is very difficult to grow and breed sweet water basin wetland ganja in a desertic saharan environment. It should be garbage and they are all wiped out because market is at lat 50N, for lat50N is garbage and market rules
The few people holding real southamerican genetics are hoarding/holding them in vane hopes of the sativa revival and they expect to cash millions of dollars on degraded and kept out of their environment long flowering southamerican genetics which grow very well in South America but very hard at lat50N

So what I am doing is to try all the stuff I have bred in European labs and cabinets with a few exceptions coming from down under, see how they behave in my environment and how is their high and search from there. I am learning a lot and this is a great enjoyable time
Have a nice week everybody

Wuachuma

@Wuachuma suggested me in the Durban thread to use a bit of gypsum in the soil, very appretiated
I will try it with the cut of this Zamal girl 1 which makes a lot of PM and I am leaving for the winter in hopes to keep it alive for next season
View attachment 18714269 View attachment 18714270
Purple Thunk F2, an outstanding beauty full of PM, without PM she would be a very strong challenger to Beauty of the Season crown
View attachment 18714272 View attachment 18714273 View attachment 18714274

I struggle to understand what is being called lowland thai landrace. In the last 25 years the only thing grown in Lowland Thailand I heard of while living there were lone plants grown in someones garden or out of the beaten path, a plant or two, most of them coming out of the best batch of brick they could find. Nothing close to those numbers needed for mantaining a landrace variety
Before I came back to the western world and started with this growing adventure, I only knew ganja/marihuana or hashish, never hear of strains before. It was mostly brick and sometimes flowers according to location. But nothing like a widespread grow in Lowland Thailand where you are seeing natural landrace plants growing.
So I wonder what are scientists calling lowland landraces and how they studied them, where samples were obtained and plants kept where? Lat 50N?

What I have created with this greenhouse is what I wanted, a subtropical rainforest
And I find that breeding of tropical plants is not done at the tropics and they are bred in labs out of their natural environment. They get adapted to those environments and when they come back to Landraceland they have to be readapted because they want desertic environments now.
South American genetics have been wiped out of the canna world by the famous drug war. And all breeding selections have been done against them. I guess it is very difficult to grow and breed sweet water basin wetland ganja in a desertic saharan environment. It should be garbage and they are all wiped out because market is at lat 50N, for lat50N is garbage and market rules
The few people holding real southamerican genetics are hoarding/holding them in vane hopes of the sativa revival and they expect to cash millions of dollars on degraded and kept out of their environment long flowering southamerican genetics which grow very well in South America but very hard at lat50N

So what I am doing is to try all the stuff I have bred in European labs and cabinets with a few exceptions coming from down under, see how they behave in my environment and how is their high and search from there. I am learning a lot and this is a great enjoyable time

The good ol In Situ vs Ex Situ arguement.
The nice thing about greenhouses with climate control is that you can reproduce or maintain a genetic line thousands of miles from its home. Then, the only concern would be lights - UV, light spectrum, light intensity, and light hours. But the industry makes a variety of lights to supplement solar light with that allows you to dial in light angle, wavelengths, etc so you can have Mauritius, Colombia, or Laos on your property at 50 deg lattitude.

Wuachuma

View attachment 18714269 View attachment 18714270
View attachment 18714272 View attachment 18714273 View attachment 18714274

If the gypsum is not enough, you can also mitigate PM (and other pests) through spraying.
Potassium silicate will eradicate any spores (and dehydrate to death most all bugs). And you can supplement the K-Sil with essential oils to ensure clean plants no matter what environment Nature throws at you. Just, I would't spray past week 5 as the cations will stick around, binding to the resin glands, making for a harsh smoke.

funkyhorse

I dont doubt at all you can grow anything anywhere, there has been seedling sprouts in lunar soil recently, very soon in the moon you will grow your laotian weed

The guys were talking in the pure thai thread about terroir

You can grow anything anywhere with today's technology
But results are showing plants taken out of their natural environment if they dont adapt to their new environment or have plenty of problems die or get culled. The differences I am seeing between indoor grow with artificial lighting and temperature control vs naturally grown in greenhouse without any heating and light supplementation are huge and favouring the greenhouse grow big time. At least for sativas.

Indicas in my environment are a waste of time.
The only way to grow indicas here is to do what you do in lat50N for sativas. This is what the industry coming from lat50N having the monopoly at ganja business here do. It is an amazing waste of resources and energy. A huge waste of electricity just in order to grow some hybridized sativas carrying some fancy landraceland name like Lao or Thai.
Lemon Thai good example of it. An afghan plant carrying thai names, too many in the cannaworld.
So thats why I ask where are the samples obtained for the so called lowland or highland landraces? The Punto Rojo pheno I had here is an absolute disaster, it cant survive 2 days in a landrace environment, ants eat it. Same with Blueberry

Wouldnt be more reasonable to grow the crops at Landraceland under natural lights and temperature on their original terroir?
Would you prefer to smoke lat50N laotian or lat50N reunion Island grown with the top first world technology under the guidance of the highest qualified scholars PHDs in bullshitism or the same weed grown at origin by ignorant ilettered peasant?
Give me the ilettered peasant weed every time. Weed would be much cheaper as it should be, it cant cost more expensive than parsley
But this is not a reasonable world and human beings are the only species destroying the planet and environment with abnormal grows and abnormal pricing for a cheap product grown under a stupid nonsense huge electricity and resources cost

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
hey funky,
a lot of folks describing lowland and highland thai ,
have never actually been to thailand to see the terrain,
nor do they have any ideas where the commercial stuff was grown,
but it sounds great to be adding these tags to them ,
kinda elevates their knowledge , and enhances the labeling , gives it more substance , impresses the reader etc ,
to be sure , i would say just about all the weed exported from thailand was grown in the lowlands as they like to call it ,
not many hills out there in the isaan provinces , and the pot was not grown on those hills anyhow ,
the stuff in the mountains grown by hilltribes , barely enough would have been grown for export , if at all , more like subsistence farming there , certainly not thai stick country ,
and the seed was likely gotten from the isaan provinces in the first place , or as you say laos ....
its nice to sit on our comfortable computer chairs and pretend we know what goes on in other countries , give stuff labels , spoof on about the climates based on looking at a few figures on a graph , and we dont even need to travel there ,
but in doing that ,, are we spreading inaccuracies ,
i say the term "we" loosly because folks who got out of that chair and actually went to these places likely know a lot better than the ones that didnt ....

romanoweed

yeah, but yeah..

as long nobody claims things and makes terroir on the forums thats a good thing. Albert Einstein never travelled to a Black hole, still he predicted certain Laws of Black Holes. lol

@funkydragon, love your Greenhouse.. i just miss the most accurate represntations of Thai stll alive, and imho, it may well be Lines that undergone couple Generations in westeners Growrooms.. I stick with 70s adapted Thai, rather than , what you got ? 2000s thai.. meh. not calm enough for my taste.. smoked 2018 Cambod, jesus was it jittery at the start, was sitting on the bed close o trow up , had sort of a seizure, after 30 Minutes it was atleast ok, but, meh.. all seeds given away, by by 2018 Cambod.
The older the better, for me. 2000s is acceptable, im pret much agreeing with you mentioning 2000s Thai was still in the good zone. but i need more than that,

oldschoolba....com, sells thai78 and thai68. and ask over contact for those two Lines.
so now you have the links guys.. Thai78 could really be the same as Drawohs Chocolate Thai, becasue Drawohs is also was called Thai78 someimes, but anyway, i bought the thai78 from oldschoolba

Last edited:

funkyhorse

yeah, but yeah..

as long nobody claims things and makes terroir on the forums thats a good thing. Albert Einstein never travelled to a Black hole, still he predicted certain Laws of Black Holes. lol

@funkydragon, love your Greenhouse.. i just miss the most accurate represntations of Thai stll alive, and imho, it may well be Lines that undergone couple Generations in westeners Growrooms.. I stick with 70s adapted Thai, rather than , what you got ? 2000s thai.. meh. not calm enough for my taste.. smoked 2018 Cambod, jesus was it jittery at the start, was sitting on the bed close o trow up , had sort of a seizure, after 30 Minutes it was atleast ok, but, meh.. all seeds given away, by by 2018 Cambod.
The older the better, for me. 2000s is acceptable, im pret much agreeing with you mentioning 2000s Thai was still in the good zone. but i need more than that,

oldschoolba....com, sells thai78 and thai68. and ask over contact for those two Lines.
so now you have the links guys.. Thai78 could really be the same as Drawohs Chocolate Thai, becasue Drawohs is also was called Thai78 someimes, but anyway, i bought the thai78 from oldschoolba
Ci face Romano
I was sold supposed Drawohs Chocolate Thai line and was given a freebie called Northern thai 2008
I was back in the western world and I missed my thai weed so I decided to spend about a quarter of the fortuner I had in ganja seeds and I bought anything labeled Thai just in order to find almost 100% of strains called Thai are not Thai
The freebie happened to be the real million dollar strain being a real Thai and the rest I bought for top euros are total bullshit

So with all my respects to this oldschooldba selling his supposed thai strains kept at lat50north or northern than that at prices above any normal human thai would get for a monthly salary and with all my respects to the epic ganja grown at those crazy latitudes, why would you think his thai 68 or whatever bs he sells is the same as a real thai plant grown in year 68 in Thailand in Isaan???

romanoweed

i had my strongest , most pleasant Landrace experience from Thai-stuff grown here..it was a lifechanging trip-experence. unforgettable good.

it may have been first heneration 70s thaiseed tho. it can be grown here well, however for the sake of saving our Thailines, thats not a good eviroment, it may adapt every generation.. a bit, ... how much, i cant tell

romanoweed

aahm, @funkyhorse i think a certain behaviour would be apropriate. you call my links thai bs without even seeing a pic. i can only appeal on more dedication.

so, i dont anwser any more questions in that tone.

Further, i have never seen MANY strains labelled as 70s thai, so you must have very deep conections, i spent 7 years now serching for 70s thai, those are the few you can get, acording my research. .. yepee! ( i mean drawohs is described as chocolate thai, not really the thaiest of the thai ever.. and after few minutes googling one could find out they musta be not so endless perfect, but pretty cool, pretty good, so, i really have never seen any other thai sold.. ok, you mean Reefermans "Bodhi Sativa " burmese x thai x cambod? , and the Mama Thai Seedsman, but i never believed its true thai, wich later was officially confirmed.. anyway, or you mean Nivanas Full moon, but none was labelled as 70s thai.. some from flying dutchman, some from billygoat too,
really no idea where you found sooo many realdeal thai-offers.
So, then i can assume you ment you found just unknown-thai ofers.. but many? those are pretty rare, i think i listed all)

Last edited: