What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Revival of the REVIVAL of the ULTIMATE SATIVA THREAD a.k.a R.U.S.T II

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
Dont tropical Strains flower also in "Summer" ? Or do they always flower in "Winter" ?
they respond to days lessening in length ,

they are quite sensitive to small changes in day length,
because the days are never as long closer to the equator as they are in far northern or southern hemispheres ,

there are specific times to plant , ie seasons in the tropics , depending on the variety you grow ,

the tropics has a wet and a dry, not summer or winter , the wet season is not a good time to grow , its best to wait till it starts to abate ,
the plants never flower for 20 weeks like folks see indoors or way out of the tropical belt , that is start to finish for them in the tropics ...

in places like thailand , they would have planted at the end of the wet season and harvested 5 to 6 months later

TheDarkStorm

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Lifespan Flower-triggering for pure Sativas???

Hey , i heard equatorial Sativas trigger Flowering after a certain Life-time.

Someone told i can grow a Strain Indoors for couple Months during Winter, then place them outside, and trough the extended Lifespam they start Flowering faster, or even during Summer.

Does anyone have reports that Time itselve triggers Flowering?

I made a Thread for it : https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=379027

[/FONT]

That does actually happen with some raw landraces....theres a number of factors involved with some raw equatorial sativas...such as age and slight differences in day light hours...this is why in some very raw landrace types growing indoors there are plants that will start flowering with age regardless of the light hours....usually these traits have been selected out....but there are some old raw lines that can still have plants behave like this....this is probably more visible in a indoors scenario with some individual plants

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
@Bean v2 @Donald

So have you seen Plants flowering during March till September while 12 Hours plus?
im in the southern hemisphere so it would be the opposite , september to march i guess ,
pure sativas , no they just dont like the longer hours , they might show sex and heavy pre flower , but there is no chance they would finish or set flower properly with those extender hours,
once the storms come , they reveg profusely ,
its best to plant them at the right time of year which is after the longest days ..

That does actually happen with some raw landraces....theres a number of factors involved with some raw equatorial sativas...such as age and slight differences in day light hours...this is why in some very raw landrace types growing indoors there are plants that will start flowering with age regardless of the light hours....usually these traits have been selected out....but there are some old raw lines that can still have plants behave like this....this is probably more visible in a indoors scenario with some individual plants
have you seen any finish properly just due to age and despite the length of the days darkie?

as far as i know its something that just doesnt happen,
many folks seem to drop the hours during flowering to less than 11 to encourage a more speedy end to the flowering,
it seems difficult enough finishing sativas indoors ,

im sure we are all aware that cuttings can finish slightly earlier than the seed plant , but the correct hours are still needed to finish properly ...

TheDarkStorm

im in the southern hemisphere so it would be the opposite , september to march i guess ,
pure sativas , no they just dont like the longer hours , they might show sex and heavy pre flower , but there is no chance they would finish or set flower properly with those extender hours,
once the storms come , they reveg profusely ,
its best to plant them at the right time of year which is after the longest days ..

have you seen any finish properly just due to age and despite the length of the days darkie?

as far as i know its something that just doesnt happen,
many folks seem to drop the hours during flowering to less than 11 to encourage a more speedy end to the flowering,
it seems difficult enough finishing sativas indoors ,

im sure we are all aware that cuttings can finish slightly earlier than the seed plant , but the correct hours are still needed to finish properly ...

Yeah donald...im not sure exactly wat cases it...iv found auto flowering plants in many lines from india and in lines from papa new guinie...and some african lines like old raw durban lines....it may not happen outdoors....but ive seen it myself with some raw landraces...thers some cases documented on this site...for example I seen one the other day on this site..png ..the guy found one that auto flowered regardless of light hours.
Although I have seen some that wont finish till the light hours are dropped...those types just keep throwing pistols...some even looking to be trapped in limbo between veg and flowering.

TheDarkStorm

Its not frequent donald...they could just be one off's...or certain plants that are very sensitive to stress...I suppose to be certain you would really have to test the plant in different scenarios to see if it still behaves the same....

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
Its not frequent donald...they could just be one off's...or certain plants that are very sensitive to stress...I suppose to be certain you would really have to test the plant in different scenarios to see if it still behaves the same....
i think auto flowering isnt the correct term to use ,
its heavy pre flower ,

ive seen it on a zamal plant also ,

im sure its just a reaction to being out of their natural habitat ,
and as you say they dont flower properly or finish ,
so hence me saying its not auto flowering ...

this could also be what romano is referring to or has been told by someone ,
theres a lot of misinformation about the tropics and sativas from there , somehow it seems mystical to folks who live in more temperate climates ,
and as a result theres misunderstandings about many aspects of the climate and how things work ..

Ive been in the tropics most of my life , since around 6 years old , (im now in my 50 s ), and ive kept a close eye on climate because ive always been a gardener , so how the seasons etc work is important to me ...

Its been a big help to me as far as taking advantage of the climate , short days , dry periods etc where growing cannabis is concerned ,, many others here have not worked out the ins and outs of using the climate to their advantage ...

romanoweed

Merci DARKSTORM , You made my Day!

Im out of Words..
I heard about that for a while, never has anyone made me confident ..

That makes a Dream cometrue that some Phenos of raw Landraces do that and i will try it out.

Also Statements of autoflowering equatorial Plants like we bouth stated sounded credible when i questioned the Claims. I have a strong Feeling it is not a Myth, but DONT wanna make it a Truth unless i prooven it.

If could try an Explonation: Cannabis has multiple survival Mechanisms..
Following i could imagine that some Thais were planted mostly in dry Season when Days are below 12 Hours. Well But probably sometime people were late and a Strain exided the 12 Hours limit at 23 March, and therefore possibly begun to reveg BUT in rare cases did probably stay n Flower as a Species can ALWAYS evolve new Survival Mechanism. If that happend alot that Thais exided the 23 March, and they stood there with nearly finished Buds, it would be possible that Thais learned to evolve this Tactic , to tell themselve: if im at the end of my Life then i flower.
So, the ones who reveged, they were discharged, but the ones that kept flowering were kept, and the Survival Mechanism wich showed very very rare at first was therefore further evolved.
This is just my theory to explain what Darkstorm has observed, an automatic flower thowards end of Life

BINGO, and i hope i can possibly find such a line and grow it in summer. PEACE alltogether

Last edited:

romanoweed

Nope donald i think i dont mystify things, that is not how i describe myselve. I also said if i dont have confirmation, im not the mystical hunter wich desperatly tries things out and finds out its a myth, im the one who reads well, and i dont trust a simple one Liner.
I trust either in some people cause i know their not blablaing, or how they talk, or if multiple people say something i slightly trust.

I dont know if the papua newguinea was kept in 12 hours plus all till the end, but i ask him, cuase here i may made a thinkingmistacke here you brought a good conterargument, and i will give my best to debunk it if needed, cause thats how i am.

TheDarkStorm

However there are know landraces that do just autoflower..some of those found not to far from the equator...eg mexican auto flowering lines. ...i think early pearl and early queen are based on one...although I dont know if i would say r.c.'s base plant was a sativa.
What your looking for romano is whats known as day neutral types .

unregistered190

Senior
Veteran
This me curious now as it is my 1st go with a sativa. So is 12/12 ok to keep an equatorial sativa in veg? Right now I have some Vietnamese Black under 14/10 but it would be great if I could do 12/12.
I am just waiting on the seed plants to mature so I can take cuttings and flower those out. They are at 6 weeks right now, I know the sex already as they are feminized but showing no pistils yet.

romanoweed

yes darkstorm, i heard this Term already, but you are the first to clearly state you seen such a thing in a way that i trust it exists.
Lifespan triggerd flowering, a blessing

just yesterday another person stated it possibly, so i finally tried to ask for more confirmation. Thanks!

harvestreaper

Veteran
picture.php

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZpoDbFHwE4

Montuno

...como el Son...
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Lifespan Flower-triggering for pure Sativas???

Hey , i heard equatorial Sativas trigger Flowering after a certain Life-time.

Someone told i can grow a Strain Indoors for couple Months during Winter, then place them outside, and trough the extended Lifespam they start Flowering faster, or even during Summer.

Does anyone have reports that Time itselve triggers Flowering?

I made a Thread for it : https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=379027

[/FONT]

That I have seen, between certain varieties of tropical landrace/equatorial of sativa, some few specimens are really autoflowering, but of very long bloom.
What if it is easier to find between individuals of these species, it is a "semi-autoflowering sativa lazy" : plants are put to bloom once they reach a certain maturity, whatever the solar photoperiod (but that at least they are reducing the hours of sunshine with the days). But that flowering is very slow compared to the normal rate that would have under the appropriate photoperiod, and does not accelerate until it reaches it.

King Congo (Congo Point Noire * South African Ciskei; Tropical Seeds Company) passing from the pre-flowering to the beginning of the flowering, with the natural solar photoperiod of 21-July of the 39°N:

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nice^^ How is the high compared to either of the two strains separately?

Swamp Thang

Veteran
PNG x THH

Harvested at 17 weeks.
View Image

For some reason this picture has an optical illusion quality to it. At first glance, the buds seemed to have sunk deep into a very soft fabric like surface, but then as I gazed at the picture longer, the buds then assumed a more three-dimensional look, and I realized they where photographed on a flat table surface.

Very odd. I need to phone my shrink for an opinion, and to be sure I'm not losing my marbles.

romanoweed

Ok, i just looked up the New Guinea Semi-Autoflower. Yes i sayid it wrong, it only Autoflowers with a slight Roobound , but does it from start and EVEN with long photoperiods.
The rootbound needs to be only slight... and it does it in some phenos, would it finish a whole floweringcycle? i cant anwser that, but seemed to flower from the Start.
and still has a 17 week floweringphase..

Latest posts

Latest posts