What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Resurrecting DJs blueberry

OZZ_

Veteran
Ahhhh the Blueberry of yester-year. I’ve read thread after thread after thread about how blueberry just isn’t the same anymore and hasn’t been for quite some time.

I remember smoking the real deal back in the mid to late 90’s. Probably 1997-1998 we had a bunch that continuously came through.

It didn’t particularly taste or smell like blueberries, something I see people always talking about in error in blueberry discussion threads. Instead, it had a blueish purplish hue to the buds reminiscent of actual blueberries. Seemingly that’s why it was named blueberry because as mentioned, it didn’t taste OR smell like that at all- but the color was beautiful. It wasn’t particularly potent either, another misconception, but it’s high was extraordinarily euphoric. Such a great, happy feel good weed. At that time I had never tried mdma... only trying that much later in my mid to late twenties but I remember smoking on blueberry and reaching mdma type euphorias with large doses. Such a great high even if it was only moderately potent.

I’ve scoured the forums on several different occasions throughout the last ten years and always come up empty handed. DJs aren’t what they once were (and not available at all now??) and the threads always come with a bunch of recommendations for blueberry crosses. Maybe that is all there is left I’m not sure, but that seems like such an unsatisfying answer. When I have went and researched those recommendations all I’ve seen are people talking about blueberry muffin smells or tastes, and that’s not at all what blueberry was about so without fail the search ends up in frustration. Blueberry was about the effect. That glorious euphoric effect.

After all that being said, I’m curious though.... has anyone tried resurrecting or maybe a better term is revitalization with something like Moscas old time moonshine? I just ordered some of the old time moonshine because I simply want it in my seedbank and I wonder if it would be a good candidate for reviving the strain. It looks like DJs blueberry is completely sold out now? Is that the case?

I had pondered what the results would be doing a 40 seed run of the blueberry, making your selections then crossing into the OTM to add hybrid vigor, hopefully ending up with something that might restore some of that lost “magic”

Thoughts??

Cmoon

Bluemoonshine had an awesome scent, the closet chuck cross with an unknown haze not so much but the hits still in her.

T

TheForgotten

He's not popular here, but he's coming back, Breeder Steve has a blueberry male to rival b-131 (it may be the same one).
Plantbuilder once told me that his group has the 131 male, so lotsa the knock-offs in BC might be coming from that....

Chappi

He just started releasing a lot of mid 90’s gear. The breeders’s mix he’s recently released might be right up your alley.

OZZ_

Veteran
Thanks for the input everyone! Great suggestions, where would I find the beeeders mix or some of the other suggestions here? Can anyone point me in the right direction?? I’d love a straight cut but I’m in Chicago and not sure what’s available locally so I’m guessing I’m going to have to source seeds and pheno hunt.

C

Capra ibex

I have f2s of almost all of Dj's more recent strains.

Blueberry, True Blueberry, Vanilluna, Cocoa Kush, Grape Krush, F13, Old Time Moonshine.

OZZ_

Veteran
I appreciate all the suggestions here, I see on DJs website they released the BB F5’s.

Has anyone done a grow with these? What was the quality like? I’m hearing very mixed reviews. I’ve seen lots of threads that say the quality just isn’t there anymore in the BB line but then I hear reports of exactly the opposite. I’m working seeing if the positive reports happen to be coming from an original cut that’s still circulating out there, and possibly the seed stock has dropped off? I’m not sure, purely speculation here. Open to any and all suggestions.

Dirt Life

Veteran
Yeah, DJ's Breeders Choice Mix #2 would be right up your alley... pics look choice. Google Breeders Choice Mix #2, and it will bring up multiple seed co's. Also, DJs sub forum here has some threads you'll want to go through. :)

OZZ_

Veteran
Yeah, DJ's Breeders Choice Mix #2 would be right up your alley... pics look choice. Google Breeders Choice Mix #2, and it will bring up multiple seed co's. Also, DJs sub forum here has some threads you'll want to go through. :)

Thanks dirt- I’ll look into the breeders mix #2. Make no mistake about it, if the BB is out there available in its original, quality format I’d much rather buy it outright keep it in my line and enjoy her right away. I mentioned doing a large selection because I didn’t realize it was available.

Everything I’ve seen over the last ten years of people doing runs with DJs BB has resulted in then not finding anything worthwhile. Recently though I’m hearing very different testimonies so that leads me here. Has anyone grown out those F5s recently and had good phenos to choose from?

I received a message from another member talking about the cut that’s floating around and according to his description it’s still stellar, so that’s promising. Maybe I’ll pick up a pack of the BB F5s to cover my bases and then try to hunt down that clone. I can use the beans to hunt out a nice male.

I appreciate all the suggestions you guys are great.

Dyad

DJ’s Blueberry has been an F5 from a single male/female mating since 1998. These aren’t new and certainly not gone. I think people pop a few seeds and expect everything that comes up to be consistent but DJ intentionally left variation in his line so people could work forward with their personal selections and what turned them on individually.

Pop threw a couple packs of DJ’s F5 and you’ll find the high you’re looking for.

And as far blueberry smells and tastes, I think most people expect like a Blue Raspberry koolaid type of thing, but if you smell fresh on-the-bush blueberries they have a very floral scent. Not candy/sweet at all—until we go adding in a bunch of sugar to make pies and shit.

Good luck on your hunt!

elanius

Veteran
if you are looking for the really true blueberry muffin aroma, I have not found it in 24 Blueberry Original Indica females...but was not looking for it anyway. What I did find was incredible Blueberry sativa high on my favorite phenotype. She also smelled very close to kind of blueberry cake, but not really. Very complex smell, there was the bake element which make you wonder about blueberry muffins. But the smell was not pure blueberry, it was more like blueberry mixed with other berry fruits, hazelnuts and juicy fruit tropical scent. The downside was, the smell was subtle, not very pronounced. Thankfully the F"2" I made with it carry the great smoke further the line and the smell was even better and much louder (to my surprise) than the mother. This F2 pheno was probably my all time favorite blueberry example to this day. I feel no body smoking it, its all in the head, euphoric, very pleasant - anti anxiety and very long lasting 3+ hours.
This is the BB mother, grown by friend:
picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:

elanius

Veteran
If you want closer blueberry flavored buds, get the Bluedigiberry from Verdant Green, I can highly recommend it for the smell. I just did not cared for the high of 3 females that I tried. The high on the blueberry flavored female was very heavy, nice and relaxing, but it made you very tired fast. Maybe with some coffee...or cocaine :D whatever you fancy

Now If you would take good selected Blueberry Indica male (nld dom. pheno) and crossed it to blueberry muffin pheno from Bluedigiberry, the results could be interesting! Best of both worlds combined.

TheDarkStorm

A good blueberry pheno does actually smell like sweet blueberry mufins an gives a sweet blueberry muffins taste.. with a kinda crystals dankness background to smell an taste....too many different kinds about tho...some very indica leaning..dj's was definitely more of a sativa....elanius looks like he's found a good one.

OZZ_

Veteran
You know, all of this is based on my memory of the strain from the mid 90’s. It was coming to us through our regular supplier so for all practical purposes was street nug at the time. Who knows who grew it, and whether or not they did a proper selection process or not.

Also by the time it came to us it was in open sand which baggies so who knows what the live plants smelled like, I certainly don’t. What I do remember was the appearance of the blueish-purplish mottled buds and the extremely euphoric high. If I can find that or better with some awesome smells, tastes and terpenes to go along for the ride all the better!

You know, all of this is based on my memory of the strain from the mid 90’s. It was coming to us through our regular supplier so for all practical purposes was street nug at the time. Who knows who grew it, and whether or not they did a proper selection process or not.

Also by the time it came to us it was in open sand which baggies so who knows what the live plants smelled like, I certainly don’t. What I do remember was the blueish-purplish mottled buds and the extremely euphoric high. If I can find that or better with some awesome smells, tastes and terpenes to go along for the ride all the better!

I remember that stuff too. It was probably a Blueberry or a cross from the dam derived from a dutch breeders work with Original Blueberry.

Latest posts

Latest posts