What's new

Reservoir Slime

BigPhil

Veteran
So about 2 weeks ago I set up a RDWC system. I have added a water chiller to the header Tank. But I'm struggling to control the reservoir. Today I put my hand inside and felt a thin wall of slime.

I don't fancy using bleach as if my child was sick I wouldn't give her diluted bleach, Same for my baby's I grow. I'm not looking for an advanced method with it been my 1st time. I would like to keep it as simple as I can.

Are there any products on the market I can simply add too my reservoir to combat the slime?

I have drained it off and cleaned out the inside, washed that out and drained it off again. The smile was clear not the red slime.

Cheers BP.

So about 2 weeks ago I set up a RDWC system. I have added a water chiller to the header Tank. But I'm struggling to control the reservoir. Today I put my hand inside and felt a thin wall of slime.

I don't fancy using bleach as if my child was sick I wouldn't give her diluted bleach, Same for my baby's I grow. I'm not looking for an advanced method with it been my 1st time. I would like to keep it as simple as I can.

Are there any products on the market I can simply add too my reservoir to combat the slime?

I have drained it off and cleaned out the inside, washed that out and drained it off again. The smile was clear not the red slime.

Cheers BP.

UC Roots is a plant root designed duo combo to prevent biofilms(slime, etc) and descale the root system. Expensive but evidently good. I'll be using some soon. It smells kinda bleachy.

From the web:
"UC roots is a multipurpose root zone optimizer that uses proprietary chemistry to aid in mineral descaling and the removal of potentially harmful biofilms in nutrient reservoirs. By reducing the potential habitat for plant pathogens, UC roots has been shown to aid in root development."

BigPhil

Veteran
Cheers Substitute I have had a shop around online and it looks to be out of stock everywhere I have looked. I'm in the UK. There is a good thread on here and I think chloroquine phospate was the best thing he tried again that's not easy to find over here.

But I was also thinking of phoning an aquarium shop see what kind of products they have. If it's safe for fish I would think it would be safe for plants also.

I am willing to hear what people have to say, At the same time I need to spend more time researching different ways to combat it.

I was just going to use the Res with just Ph'd water in it, And add any nutes too the header tank.

As long as it's not banned in the UK, TT hydroponics carries it here in Canada. I just bought some. Maybe Ebay? But if you're in the UK, I would get a full gallon or more. $70US on ebay.

BigPhil

Veteran
It looks like Trump has said chloroquine phosphate can cure corona and has driven the price up pretty high. But looks to be an aquarium product

BigPhil

Veteran
Well I went for great white shark molasses and silver root Excelurator. Thinking about it while I'm typing this out might as well get some worm castings and have a go at making a tea.