What's new

Researchers grow rat lung in lab....

ibjamming

Veteran
Makes me wonder what causes us to die?

Consider this, we have the ability to create new life, a baby!
So why can't we regenerate our own life? What is the barrier?

The "cells" wear out... We weren't MADE to last forever.

Age? What does age have to do with anything?
Humans are set to destruct at a certain age?

And what about DNA? That it 'degrades'? Well then how do we pass on 'good' DNA to start new life?

Yes...actually we are made to self destruct.

Mitosis and meiosis are different things...they make different cells in different ways. It's quite interesting actually...

Google "telemeres." Wiki usually has a fairly reasonable explanation.

Yup...supposedly cells can only divide so many times before they start getting fucked up. If you think about it...you literally are that ONE cell egg that has divided and specialized a few trillion times.

Frozenguy

Veteran
The "cells" wear out... We weren't MADE to last forever.

Yes...actually we are made to self destruct.

Mitosis and meiosis are different things...they make different cells in different ways. It's quite interesting actually...

? I still dont get why we transfer perfectly good DNA on, but can't use it ourselves. I mean, it seems like there is a mechanism in us to live forever, but for some reason, we dont.

I understand mitosis and meiosis. I took bio 101 lol.. (among later bios as well).

ibjamming

Veteran
? I still dont get why we transfer perfectly good DNA on, but can't use it ourselves. I mean, it seems like there is a mechanism in us to live forever, but for some reason, we dont.

I understand mitosis and meiosis. I took bio 101 lol.. (among later bios as well).

I'll have to check on the latest...but from memory...telomeres "wear out" as the cells keep dividing. Eventually, there isn't enough left for cell division and when it stops...it stops...along with you. It's probably due to specialization...the more specialized, the more "damaged" the telomere? It's been a LONG time since I've read anything on it.

Why is an egg..."fresh"? Who knows... That's the point I'm always bringing up about science...today is just our latest best guesses...tomorrow may turn it all upside down...as it often has. But if I were to guess...I'd bet that eggs, stem cells, the more undifferentiated the cell...the better and longer lasting the telomeres "should" be.

It would be a good PhD thesis...someone probably has already... "Why are eggs full of fresh telomeres? How do eggs CREATE "fresh" telomeres?

If you think about it...and believe the stories...we're ALL from the same "Eve"...her telomeres were degrading as she aged. But her eggs were "fresh"...so, if eggs are always "fresh telomeres" it would STILL have to degrade a bit because the eggs are STILL not the very first thing created in the zygote. The egg telomeres STILL should be degraded unless SOMETHING does a "reset" somehow. Like I said...are you feeling ambitious? It would be earth shattering if someone could reset our telomeres...en mass.

Frozenguy

Veteran
I'll have to check on the latest...but from memory...telomeres "wear out" as the cells keep dividing. Eventually, there isn't enough left for cell division and when it stops...it stops...along with you. It's probably due to specialization...the more specialized, the more "damaged" the telomere? It's been a LONG time since I've read anything on it.

Why is an egg..."fresh"? Who knows... That's the point I'm always bringing up about science...today is just our latest best guesses...tomorrow may turn it all upside down...as it often has. But if I were to guess...I'd bet that eggs, stem cells, the more undifferentiated the cell...the better and longer lasting the telomeres "should" be.

It would be a good PhD thesis...someone probably has already... "Why are eggs full of fresh telomeres? How do eggs CREATE "fresh" telomeres?

If you think about it...and believe the stories...we're ALL from the same "Eve"...her telomeres were degrading as she aged. But her eggs were "fresh"...so, if eggs are always "fresh telomeres" it would STILL have to degrade a bit because the eggs are STILL not the very first thing created in the zygote. The egg telomeres STILL should be degraded unless SOMETHING does a "reset" somehow. Like I said...are you feeling ambitious? It would be earth shattering if someone could reset our telomeres...en mass.

Thanks for your response :wave:.
I understand how telomeres work, as much as a bio amateur like myself can understand.

I just feel there must be a way to engineer a method to rejuvenate oneself using this mechanism. I mean we can agree there is a mechanism in place that protects DNA yes? I mean, we have evolved, and mutated (?) over time, but I can't say we have degenerated.

So what I guess I'm trying to decide is if our demise, our personal degeneration, is a necessary result of the method of protecting DNA for the long term, or if its an unnecessary physiological function.

Haps

stone fool
Veteran
OK, I don't need to understand it all to get started on the diy version. I need a lab, the recipe for removal of the dna, and I need some lungs and hearts to work on. I will have to think on who will be my donors, and how, while I work on the rest.

I

IE2KS_KUSH

Re: Researchers grow rat lung in lab....

Sweet keep smoking a pack a day

ibjamming

Veteran
Thanks for your response :wave:.
I understand how telomeres work, as much as a bio amateur like myself can understand.

I just feel there must be a way to engineer a method to rejuvenate oneself using this mechanism. I mean we can agree there is a mechanism in place that protects DNA yes? I mean, we have evolved, and mutated (?) over time, but I can't say we have degenerated.

So what I guess I'm trying to decide is if our demise, our personal degeneration, is a necessary result of the method of protecting DNA for the long term, or if its an unnecessary physiological function.

We degenerate and die because we've completed our "mission". We last long enough to have kids and raise them...then we start to fall apart. Life is meant to live forever...not you.

I don't think we'll be able to fix genetic code on the multiple ends of DNA inside some several TRILLION cells. We get old, we fall apart...it's how it works. You live on through your offspring.

Tako

ICMag Donor
Are we sure about this? I thought "Rat Lung" was the new strain kicking everybody's ass at the cannabis cup.?

BrainSellz

Veteran
We degenerate and die because we've completed our "mission". We last long enough to have kids and raise them...then we start to fall apart. Life is meant to live forever...not you.

I don't think we'll be able to fix genetic code on the multiple ends of DNA inside some several TRILLION cells. We get old, we fall apart...it's how it works. You live on through your offspring.
:good:^
gravity would be the one you gotta figure out...it wins in the end....pull you right to the ground....some back pain, most wrinkles etc etc comes from gravity....thoughts actually "weight you down" or in other words make your gravity off.....