What's new

rescue dogs, so far too much trouble to deal with

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

My precious little Kayla passed away last January and I still have her daughter Alice. Ali's getting a bit slow and so I figured I'd add to our family and get her a playmate, a rescue dog seemed the right way to go.

Dog #1 ~ a purebred beagle, I didn't qualify because I lacked a fenced in yard, that would go for all the dogs in their inventory as well.

Dog #2 ~ a beagle mix, the morning I was going to make the 400 mile round trip run to pick up this dog they spring a surprise home inspection on me by their local representative. to get to the area she needed to see I would have walked her right through my grow, I had to refuse her entry and they canceled the adoption.

Dog #3 ~ another beagle mix, I waited 2 days to hear back from them after completing the application for this particular dog but they claimed she was already spoken for. Likely just bad timing on my part.

I'm avoiding buying a puppy as my 9 yr old Alice would probably benefit from a dog w/more mature behavior instead of suddenly having a puppy chewing on her & in her face non-stop.

Now I'm wondering if a puppy isn't the best idea for us, I won't potentially be inheriting someone else's 'bad dog' issues.

As I look through the other ads a home visit is required by many & that just ain't happenin'; I can visit an out of state facility but we're talking 300-350 miles each way.

btw, the rescue dogs were priced @ $200 & $280 and the adoption fee for dog #3 went undisclosed to me.

I can buy a puppy locally from the same breeder that Kayla came from for $300.

what do you guys think I should do?

buy or continue on what seems to be an unrewarding path so far.......

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Buy a pup.....sounds like the only way to go really...

...lots of fun for your kid to help train and grow up with....

LiLWaynE

I Feel Good
ICMag Donor
Veteran
buy a pup.... turn it into what you want it to be !

....thats outrageous that they are so hardcore over there and want to check your house out..... are you black? do you have tattoos on your face? dreadlocks? ....those seem to be the only reasons why i would think they want to check your house out.... fuck that man.... if someone wants a dog, they should only need to interview someone and question them to find out if they are suitable for the dog... not no damn home visit..... oh yeah, are you korean? maybe they dont want you eating the dog for dinner?

if i were them and you denied me entry into your house i would surely think you were up to no good.... you should think about that one..

got nothin but no-homo love ya s4l, u know that, just speaking the high mind..

MIway

Veteran
buy a pup.... turn it into what you want it to be !

....thats outrageous that they are so hardcore over there and want to check your house out..... are you black? do you have tattoos on your face? dreadlocks? ....those seem to be the only reasons why i would think they want to check your house out.... fuck that man.... if someone wants a dog, they should only need to interview someone and question them to find out if they are suitable for the dog... not no damn home visit..... oh yeah, are you korean? maybe they dont want you eating the dog for dinner?

if i were them and you denied me entry into your house i would surely think you were up to no good.... you should think about that one..

got nothin but no-homo love ya s4l, u know that, just speaking the high mind..

lol... yeah, almost wondering if u'r on a list now... ;-)

it's kinda fucked up how hard it is to take in a dog, yet they put down hundreds, if not thousands, every week at the kill shelter. have you tried there yet?

also, varying no kill shelters will advertise when they have adoption clinics near by, or somewhere near by. i had one come & advertise from another state even... pretty cool. if you go to something like that, then u'l likely just have to fill out a form & make a donation to their cause, which usually includes all the shots + fixing.

i would think that if you walked into one of those places with your daughter... walk out with a dog.

might want to rethink a small, yippy breed though... ;-)

good luck bro... glad u can bring one in... a lot out there in need of good people.

dgr

Alice is a dog.

S4L,
Your Alice won't have any serious problems with the puppy. She's only nine. She should put the puppy in her place and may show you a few puppy moves you haven't seen in years.

Once upon a day, I used to spend around 50 days a year on the road going to various dog events. We bred our dogs a couple times and sold the puppies for $1000. Unless we knew you very well from the events we attended, every buyer received a home visit/interview. Distant people were visited by club members. We also volunteered a lot of time on the rescue side of things.

Being plugged into the breeding side, the rescue side and officers of several clubs gave us the best opportunity to see if any of our dogs were "thrown away." We never saw one of ours come back or go through rescue. I believe screening helped there.

It sucks that you got caught in that net. A home visit with you would have taken me two minutes. Let's see. Old dog died. He has a 9 YO dog that is slowing down. This guy definitely isn't a when it's convenient dog owner.

Best of luck in whatever you decide. Nothing beats a dog's love.

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

I hear ya but at the same time I was at the door she met my well behaved clean and healthy dog Alice, I tried using the excuse that the house was a bit messy & that she'd woken me up.

I can see your point but I felt my reason for denying entry was valid.

I hear ya MIway, blacklisted, a marked man.......

roughoutline

Just need to find the right one, my dog is rescue dog and she is as lovely as everything, she can be aggressive to new people who are too forward but is completely fine with people after just 2 or 3 minutes around them.

C

chefro420

Got my shelter dog when he was 3-5 years old! Best dog ever! He's sitting at my feet now! Sure he walked in circles the first month , as he was in the pound for close to a year . He also had an infection from the stress from the pound . Which cleared up after a few rounds of anti-biotics . He also got neutered late , so he still had some marking instinct . This he grew out of after a short while too!

He has been the most amazing dog the last 8 years! I picked him over lots of puppies when I was there . Best decision I ever made! I knew he was coming home after I took him for a walk . After walking him I sat down . He came up and put his nose against my side under my arm .

I think the most important thing to consider is a good fit for your current dog . A puppy likely being to much , if he is older .

paladin420

FACILITATOR
Veteran
just a note Beagels..They do two things well..1 Hunt,2 look cute....sit stay??? Come??? not so much.. Yes I kno some do well as pets but they are bred to hunt run chase bark.. Not to be obedient.. I hav 2 beagle mixes that I can not contain in a 6' chain link fence that previously housed 10 pro protection dogs.... good luck

GOT DANK

Veteran
adopt a dog. sucks they gotta be so much. but that money goes to a good use. good luck with whatever you do.

O

OneTokeOver

Rescue dogs are forever grateful! You will never find a more devoted animal than one you literally save!

Got mine when she was 2/3 years old, been tied to a post and bred since she was old enough to conceive. No human or dog socialization what so ever. I gave her a loving home and no more training than would be required by a puppy.

I now have a true companion that trusts me with her life and would defend mine to her death.

Too many unwanted dogs now, save one!

Warped1

I'm a victim of fast women and slow horses
Veteran
You could try Craigs List as well S4L, and you probably wouldn't have to travel far from home. $100 or less for a re-homing fee and usually no home inspections.

paladin420

FACILITATOR
Veteran
Rescue dogs are forever grateful! You will never find a more devoted animal than one you literally save!

Got mine when she was 2/3 years old, been tied to a post and bred since she was old enough to conceive. No human or dog socialization what so ever. I gave her a loving home and no more training than would be required by a puppy.

I now have a true companion that trusts me with her life and would defend mine to her death.

Too many unwanted dogs now, save one!
BTW my vote is rescue..all three of mine are..

G

greenmatter

why does trying to do the right thing seem to be getting to be more of a pain in the ass? i just don't understand......

good luck on your search S4L! ........ your frustration with the people involved will make you love whatever dog you get even more.

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

I'm leaning hard toward a puppy, I found out that the last choice of mine for an adoption dog has some poo-poo issues after speaking w/her foster mom.

a puppy's going to have some of the same issues but at least it's not going to be due to health/kennel conditions.......

Beagle mix homie?

Beagle mix homie?

Puggles are huggles !!

picture.php

picture.php

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Puggles are huggles !!

picture.php
you're breaking my heart bro, dog #3 I missed due to bad timing was an adorable 'puggle' mix.......

your little friend would dig it here C-more, I have about 3 acres running room for my front and side yards and a 16 acre backyard, there's a tremendous brush pile in my yard that's home to a large bunny population. Alice is constantly chasing cottontails around here.

This dog needs space homie ... He's sick of pooping on concrete !! Stay Peacin stoner!