What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Resavoir Temp is too High

Ghost

Coreolis Effect...

Coreolis Effect...

Change the copper tubing with stainless steel?! LOL... do you think this would be as cost effective as coating the copper with an epoxy?! Ridiculous.

Thing_Fish_ is right. Even coating the copper with epoxy is probably unecessary.

regards,

Ghost

Coreolis Effect

just adding to the list of usable products, which are non corosive, I've already got stainless pipe - maybe others have too.
i'm not dissing your epoxy coated pipes or anything, as I say just adding to the options in life

anyway heres the safety data on copper oxide - just so all the safety aspects are covered

Effects:
Inhalation: Harmful if inhaled. Material is irritating to mucous membranes and upper respiratory tract.
Eye: Causes eye irritation.
Skin: Causes skin irritation. May be harmful if absorbed through skin.
Ingestion: Harmful if swallowed. Material is irritating to mucous membranes and upper respiratory tract.
* Chronic copper poisoning is typified by hepatic cirrhosis, brain damage, and demyelination, kidney defects, and copper deposition in the cornea as exemplified by humans with Wilson's Disease. It has also been reported that copper poisoning has lead to hemolytic anemia and accelerates arteriosclerosis.

First Aid:
Inhalation: Remove to fresh air. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen.
Skin: Wash with copious amounts of water for at least 15 minutes. Remove contaminated clothing and shoes. Contact a physician.
Eyes: Flush eyes with water for 15 minutes while separating eyelids. Contact a physician.
Ingestion: If swallowed, wash out mouth with water provided person is conscious. Contact a physician.

shaolin36er

highest temp

highest temp

hey, what would you all say the highest temp you could get away with on bubble tubs?? thanks

Ghost

copper oxide?

copper oxide?

What the hell does copper oxide and copper pipe as a cooling coil have to do with one another?

Copper Oxide:

Description: Fine free flowing black powder.

Copper Oxide is used in the following industries:
• Fertiliser — as a trace element
• Agriculture — as a fungicide

TYPICAL ANALYSIS

Copper 65.2%
Iron 0.3%
Chloride 1.5%
Free Water 13.7%

Does this seem like a description, and analysis of copper tubing? Just what the hell kind of point are you trying to make? Please, enlighten us Coreolis Effect.

four20_oem

yup

yup

Yea, ghost I think were working on similar projects.. mines just automotive.. Ive almost got it all plummed up its cost about 90 bucks so far. I got a 3/4hp tredmill motor off ebay for 40 bucks w/sh and I think that should work. Tryin to keep it as quiet as possible.. but obviously its not gonna be that quiet. Those compressors are pretty noisy. But I should have it working here soon. It should work out well. Its killen two birds with one stone, now I can controll the temp in the whole box and control the res temps. I also got a 10lb bottle of R12 and some ester oil from my bud at a scrapyard, so Im pretty much ready to go as soon as I get that motor. wish I had a camera, probably have to get one of them pretty soon. anyway ill keep ya'll posted -chris

G

copper works fine and lasts a long time ...turning them nute pumps off once in a while helps alot ...especially after lights off, get those temps down while the gettin is good ...lost my third maybe fourth krusty bucket grow to stem rot 16 of 20 dumped in a garbage bag at 5 weeks 12/12 ...had the feedlines pulled back and down...didn't matterrun my krusty buckets 15 on 15 off with the lights on , less when off,,,this was to keep my room going , not to prove that it would work...but it does and no need for the chiller and no fear of the stem rotting "splatter girgle effect"

guess I should mention I bailed on the krusty buckets in favor of acry's 40 litre psyco bucket. or was it psyco's 40 L acry bucket ...hehehe

splif-magnet

ok... all those who have tired the home made chillers... here's mine..

ok first,, will a aluminum cooler react to nutes...

i have small desk top soda founten.. that has a nice chiller unit,,, had a real small tub area to chill the syrup and the sada mix,,

this unit geatts REAL COLD FAST!!!...

the plan is just two coils or coolers, a pump, and a control unit.. real easy no realy needed.. this should drop temps well...

only have not gotten $$$ for the chillers/// and not sure if copper is ok for the res....

any ideas???

splif-magnet

ok i see since my reading and posting.,, several have replyed.. I AM GLAD to hear copper is OK,,,

hmm... i see others have pumps the nutes threw the copper to a chiller... ,,, I was just planning on a closed system.. but this maybe better......

ok all pros / cons on open vice closed chillers??

the copper issue was my bigest worry... the rest should be "easy" ,,(ya right LOL)

-Yea Man. -The copper's cool. -Theres a factor that I think might have been overlooked by some and its the factor of heat energy(I used to watch alot of mr wizzards world). -The reason Im growin weed is because the water thats in the rubbermade, -coolin the coil of copper -has a mas of at least 10 gal -and the nutes that run threw a low vol high pres aero system(1.5gal every 5 min) go threw at such a low volume that the heat drawn in with every cycle is nothin compared to the cold water in the tub's ability to absorb heat due to its greatnes in mass. -> = -The more vol of fresh water you have cooln your copper coil full of nutes the more cool youl get... -The length of copper tubing that contains your nutes makes a differance too. -Hey folks.. -No kiddin.. -This works! -Ive been growin solid with this o so fukin simple cooler thats been gettin my fog chamber(not my res)down to 64 dedrees! -I could have gotten it colder too.. rite now I just have a hose drippin fresh water n but durrin the summer if I have to Im gonna presurize the hose by putin a valve on the end that stiks in the water and closin it to a trickle. -What that will do is put a SOLID colum of water in comtact with the coolin tub. = more conduction. -I think this is gonna get me threw the summer! --Im smokin my weed, -makin douugh and gettin whacked! -If the summer DOSE make the ground water too warm for my coolin purposes Im gonna stick the coolin tub in a small fridge,... It WILL work for me because Im not just putin a coil in there Im putin it in there in a LARGE VOLUME of cold water! -This really dose put aero within everyones grasp! -It shure is in mine! -And aero requires much lower temps than hydro! -My temps in my root chamber are 64 degree! --Im gonna smoke another bowl. -I hope I helped someone.

--Fr whoever wants to know, -you colda been keepin your temps cool like this all the way up to a couple days ago. -The ground water has finaly changed. -I started runnin ice downstairs 2 days ago and I figured I need a li'l fridge. -Its not to bad tho- 4 trips a day so far with 3 one gal frozen milk jgs. -Im gettin a li'l fridge soon. -l post when I get it.

G

Hey guys! Get ready for a long winded post, I can't help it, I talk alot! I've been pokin around here for a while, and been a member over at OG for quite a while longer. Nice to meet you all, thanks for any tips I've picked up from all of you!! :D

Anyways, I'm on my first hydro grow. I'm growing in 6 5-gallon DWC bubblers with BC Technaflora nutes. Now, I've done a few soil grows with flouros before, but that was cake compared to this. I'm running two 400W HPS in a 3x5 closet space generating a ton of heat.

My hydro grow has been plagued with every problem one could ask for. :rolleyes: This is both bad and good. It's bad because it has been hell on my plants, as you'll see in the pics. It's good because I've licked everything you can think of in one grow, so my next ones should be smooth sailin!

Three look pretty good (one may be hermie) and three are VERY weak. I'm keeping the weak one's on anyway just to see how they do, and because there's nothing to go in thier buckets anyway for now.

To give you an idea of the troubles they've had; some have lost thier taproot as seedlings because the foam I use to hold them up choked them, all have had a bad attack of black algae from too much light. Then after wrapping the buckets in foil, they were bludgeoned by an attack of yellow algae!! (seems they weren't light tight enough) After re-wrapping, the next problem came....the early stages of pythium!! Damn the hot water in the res's. Keeping the room between 70-80F all day is no prob, but the res.....AHH!!

Anyway, I came up with (least I think I did) this ingenious (if you ask me) idea to keep my res cool. These supplies were readily available, and since I grow in a closet, the plan is very feasible and works quite well!!

Here's what I did. I got some 1 1/2" (THICK stuff) foam insulation board for free from a good friend. The kind with the paper/fiberglass coating on the outside, itchy stuff :mad:, but it's insulating properties are great! :rolleyes: Anyways, I made a box big enough to hold all six bubblers and made a tiny hole for the air lines to exit the bottom. I allowed room in between each bucket for 2-3 ice cold 2 liters just in case, and to allow good airflow.

Then I constructed a lid out of the same material, and fit the bucket lids into it. You can see it's like a box lid with sides that hang down over to prevent ANY light leaks to the root zone!!! The lid portion was wrapped in foil first to prevent itchyness (is that a word?) when lifting the lid. Bucket lids were then duck (no, not duct, really, duck tape) taped into place so that when lid is lowered they fit snugly onto thier prospective buckets.

Last, but not least, I ran some dryer ducting from an a/c vent into the bottom of the box. I think I added a pic of it going into the bottom of the closet. I just cut a hole at the bottom of one end near the center, fit it in, and taped it like the madman I am with a roll of the sticky stuff. At the other end, near the top in the center is a smaller (2" maybe?) hole that allows pressurized a/c air back out into the grow room where it is then circulated back around by fans...

With room temps at 80F, I can now keep the root zone as low as 65F with just the a/c from one vent and a couple two liters!! I don't have to recirculate and good thing too cause I just dont have the space for a big res. I don't have to change over to rubbermaids and add cold two liters in them, plus have tangled roots, males mixed with females, ugh!!

I can keep my 6 individual buckets, and keep them cold, all for a few rolls of duct tape, some dryer ducting, and some insulation board. I drink enough mountain dew so 2 liters weren't hard to come by. The only thing left now is to add a couple ropes, a pulley, and hooks to the lid so that all six lids and plants lift away to reveal the buckets below for easy access.

No, this isn't for everyone, yes, the buckets have to stay still now, but alas; it's a closet. They couldn't go far anyway....This was a real cheap way to do it for me, and it may work for someone else. Plus, I may scrog my grow next time, and the screen stand will attach right to the lid and lift with it, w00t!

BTW, I did steal the idea somewhere...somebody told me to wrap my buckets in insulation, LOL!! Look what that got em!! Really, the idea came when I saw someone (on here or OG) making a DWC out of an IGLOO COOLER!! I thought, hey, what a noble idea! All I need is a cooler for my BUCKETS! Also, heard, blow air across the res...why not do both?!?!

Anyway, hope you guys enjoyed my ramble, here's the pics! Any questions, comments, praises, or flames are gladly accepted!!

-Stoned2Death

Click for Larger Image

Click for Larger Image

Click for Larger Image

Click for Larger Image

G

A couple things I didn't add.

In the pics, only one lid in the center is taped fully in place, the rest are not.

When assembling the pieces of the box, I used 3" framing nails and just pushed them through by hand. They make great fasteners for the corners, and once it's taped, it's solid as a rock.

I may add a small computer fan to the exhaust port at the far end to help pull the cold air through faster later. Some experimenting to do there with airflow to maximize cooling. I'm sure I could get it where 2 liters aren't needed. (actually, if my central a/c main blower wasn't out, I might not need 2 liters) Alas, a fan blowing out would probably make it even colder!!

The nice thing is, the a/c is used to cool the res. first, then vented back into the grow space. Like I said, my a/c blows (haha) and once it's fixed I might still add the fan to help pull more of the cool air towards my grow space a/c vent increasing cooling even more.

Ropes and pulleys have not yet been added. All in due time.

I could have made the lid one piece since I grow mediumless. No net pots to hold up or anything. I coulda made a hole just big enough for the foam disk and dangled my plants that way. Maybe I'll make another lid sometime and try that....

Also, my bucket lids fit snugly still, and next time I could make the box slightly taller inside to leave an air gap above each bucket for EVEN MORE cooling! That would work well with the idea above this one. ^^^

I can't think anymore....I'm ecstatic that I built some frankenstien shit and it works....just HAD to share it. I may save someone from going bald due to pulling thier hair out over a hot res....

EDIT: Most important. You are seeing pics of plants that have just undergone massive surgery on thier roots and an H20 dunk to knock out the pythium. Hence the reason they don't hardly have any roots and look a little shabby. The wee little ones are the ones that lost taproots at an early age, and have struggled through the same mess as the big ones to still be alive today. I'll post up pics in a week after they've overcome the shock and put on some new roots. They should be real pretty by then, and then it's off to flower. (little girls should look cute in flower)

Last edited:
--Thats fukin beautifull!! -Im shure 65 degrees would be suficient for anyones needs!! -and with a roll of malard adhiesive and ceileng tiles.... Sweet! -Congrats on a job well done! -Ive been runnin frozen milk jugs downstairs 4 times a day but its worth it. -We'l be gettin a li'l fridge real soon. -I got some of that silver coated styrofoam building insulation Im puttin on top of my mist chambers as I replace finished flowers. -Very simular to your teck! -I gave it a bit of thought early on and I decided not to let heeat issues bug me because these things are easily solvable. -Sometimes its better to think like a teknition instead of an engineer! -Ride that wave dude!

G

Hey thanks Thing!! I didn't expect such an enthusiastic response to my ghetto riggin!! I must say, no matter what anybody calls it...ugly, cheap, etc (which would be right) they damn sure won't call my nutes warm!!!!

In hydro the temps rise every day and the reservoir goes down every day(from evaporation and uptake).

I take care of both issues by adding bagged ice to the reservoir every day.

G

Hey buddyjesus. I would have tried something so simple had I just one res to worry about. I use individual 5-gallon bubblers, and have neither the space, desire, or funds to attach all of them together and use a separate res for the nutes. If I had a control bucket or something it would be simple to add ice into it.

However, with individual buckets, it would be more trouble than it's worth to keep the water level just right so that each bucket had room to add ice to it.

By building the cooler box, I've solved the problem on all six buckets at once. All of thier temps stay exactly the same all day long. If the cooler gets above 70F, I switch on the a/c for a few mins. It doesn't take any more space than before and even gives me a way to attach a screen above the buckets, which would have been hell before to get right.

I honestly could have switched to rubbermaid tubs, and maybe had an easier time, but then again, I'm growing from seed, and plan to do so many times in the future. Had I done that with a rubbermaid, by the time they sexed, I'd have one big root mess on my hands trying to get rid of males.

Let's review. I can service all six buckets at once with the lid raised. Once I attach a screen, it'll lift with the lid and plants, solving a hassle with that. All six buckets keep the same temperature without tending to them individually. Absolutely ZERO light gets to the root zone, reducing chances of heat and algae at the same time. It combines a number of different types of cooling to keep the res's cold; i.e. they are insulated, they have cold air blowing across them, AND they have a number of frozen 2 liters placed around them. I get to keep all six buckets as individuals to allow growing multiple strains from seed and not have to worry about male roots tangled with females. Each plant can still get individual attention as far as nutrient strength, which is great for different strains. Also, if one plant becomes infected with a pathogen, the whole system does not become corrupted since they don't share one res.

Did I miss anything? I spent weeks on end BEATING my head against the wall trying to cool the buckets, and came close to losing this crop. That's the reason I posted this. I'm sure there are alot of people in the same boat as I was just two days ago with heat, and the awesome benefits of this frankenstien thing I built are too good to keep to myself. My ONLY HOPE is that somebody, somewhere reads this and it solves thier problem...that's it.

-Far fukin out! -In some places ice works and in some-> runnin nutes threw a "cold gauntlet" of 2o ft 1/2 inch coper coil immersed in a large body of cold ground water ,+ in others "Air coolin with Ice bottles in a insulated chamber". --I climbed a mountain once just to find a rest stop and a highway at the top ofit! --TF><>'

-I HAD to get a fridge today! -I got me a li'l one and it's workin great! -Its keepn my root chaimbers at 64 -68 ! -Thats fukin perfict! -I just got it today tho and I gotta moitor it fora fyew days to really get the fee for it and to tweek it out a bit.... -Like I really wanna watch it close tonight so I can make shure it dont get too cold durring their night. -I think I might actually have to turn it down! -I'l post y progress in case anyone's interested! -I figure Lauras Lamas might wanna take a look at this! -I was growin with the ground water coolin my nute coil but now that its too warm it seems this li'l fridge is gonna do it! -Im gonna have pics at marijuanagrowing.com soon cause my daugters gonna postem for me. -I got web tv. ~~^^><>' --And I hear what your sayin Stoned2Death... I just hope somethin I said mighta helpt someone out! -I just want the weed to grow man! >~>~~~~~Peace~~^^^><>'