What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Resavoir Temp is too High

Hey Four20! --I hacked the livin shit outta it. I stuk a 5 gal buket with a 20 ft copper coil (full of my nutes) in it inside the fridge, -then I filled it with water and stuk a smal fountain pump in it and hooked air lne tubeing to it and ran it all threw the freezer section an back into the buket to circulate cold water around y coil with my nutes in it. -I have 2 holes cut in te side for gaden hose to hook up to the coil of copper, -one in from my pumps discharge and one out going to my root chambers. -Evert once in a while I gotta throw a 3 liter frozen bottle in the buket(2-3 times a day) in the center of the copper coil but at least I cangrow. --Im not done tweekin yet either! -I may not have to touch it at all when Im done. --I have alot more air line tubing to coil up in the freezer yet to exchange the heat from the buket. --Todays gonn be a telling day and Im not done tweekin yet but even now without icin it down or nothin my root chamber temps are from 66 - 71. -I could live with that I guess but I either gotta throw icein it to get it to the 64 degrees I really want or I gotta tweek it down. --Im gonna coil up more air line tubing in my freezer today! -I figureI can get it to stay down where I want it without touchin it! I hope so anyhow!! I'l post progress today! ~~Peace~~^^><>'

splif-magnet

thing fish,,, man I hope this is not too late:;;

I do not know if any of you have ever used this site,, but it's the shit for all those "odd prodject" we do,,lol

http://surpluscenter.com/

REFRIGERATION/ COOLING UNIT 47.50

nice for homemade REZ COOLER..

lots of FANS, BLOWERS, all kinds of bits to build with...

I hope all the peeps find this useful.... as summer gets closer the cooling unit will be a GOD send....

try this site,,, it had SMALL AC fans and DC lots of bits

four20_oem

Thats a good website you got there..

Thats a good website you got there..

splif thats a great site. Lots of good stuff to look at. That little ac would make for a great res cooler..

thing fish sounds like quite a system you've got there.. good to hear you've figured out a way to use a fridge..

still waiting for the ac hozes / guages so I can fill up my system and see what happens..
also I was walkin through hopedepot looking for some 22ga wire when I saw a small 5200btu ac for 73 bucks.. I think Im gonna buy it cause it im sure it would be quieter than mine. The automotive ac isnt really tuned for use in a box..

wish I woulda saw that like a month ago.

-Hey Splif -Good score! Dodads to the left and wachamacalits to the rite! -Love it! -Hey Four20! I seen the li'l ac's at Home Depo too--HHMMmmmm. -Yea... -The fridge works. -I stil gotta ice it 2 or 3 times a day but I still got more stuff that I can do to it. -I could get it colder but I'l do it later.-Its just really good knowin that I can. -Actually it works so good it satisfied me. -Im stikin clones in there today!(not in the fridge,- -in the flower room it services..) -Mabey once I got more flowers flowerin an I can relax a bit I'l fuk wit it more, -my root chamber temps have allready droped to 64 but mabey I'l get it to stay there on its own without icin it down at all in a week or 2! -Rite now Im just really eager to make room on my veg floor and mom aria! --wWWHHHOOOOOOO HOOOO!!! -Peace and Blessins everyone!!! ~TF><>'

splif-magnet

my unit is under-test just now..

i have added a few temp measures,,, the end plan is for a second powerhead to be placed in the top tank...

OH sorry al ,, the unit was a soda fountain,, so the top tank/tub is like 10X6 maybe.. the cooling coils are next to & around the tank,,,,, I have set a EXT temp controler to 30.

ok so the second pump was to cool the room with a oil cooler set up... PLUS this would "stir" my cooling liquid around the REZ COOLER COILS..... ok, so this is NOT in yet,,, so i used a small airstone to biol/stir the chiled water.. acually it is a mix f anti-frezze,,, the first time i ran the unit with no load,,, it started to frezze up inside,,,,,

I have a second ext temp controler on the power head in the res pushing the hot furts to the coils.. this has dropped my res from the 80's to the mid 60's... still making changers.

next plan is to UPGRADE my RES,,, I am useing two SWC tubs, and they only have foil covered bubble wrap covering it..

my NEW one is a 27G/100L tub with 1.5 in of sheet foam rapped around it,,, it wil be covered with 2 in of foam AND the foil boubble rap... that should fix the temp probs...

speedhorse

I use the waste water from my RO unit.

I have 50' of 1/4" copper coiled up in the res. connected to the waste from the RO. than run to a drain, keeps me at a constant 68F.

speedhorse

four20_oem

good plan speedhorse

good plan speedhorse

I like that, sounds like a killer setup. This ac system is pissin me off. And a water filter is always good.. and if its gonna cool the res too. YEP you've got a plan there. congrats

Einsteinguy

This is what I use

This is what I use

ERC - Einstein Res Cooler

Grow in a small cab.

1351ERC-med.JPG

1351ERC_b-med.JPG

Just swap Ice pack once or twice a day nutes stay 64 -66 degrees

Einstein

-My temps are to high and my fridge cant keep up with it any more. -Summer suks! -Im gonna try coolin the room and some other shit along with puttin more little copper coil in my freezer to see if I cant get away with not buyin a res chiller till I get paid again but this runnin with ice every 2 to 6 hours dependin on how hot it is suks! -I gotta work it out cause the need is strong for the weed is strong. -I got a window unit ac that Im puttin into service for the room but the location of the room makes it dificult bein its a room without outside wlls. -Im plotin a circulatin manifold for the cold end of it to run from the window I sit it in so I can try to circulate some cold from the unit into the room with a fan stuk in the fiberglass ducting. -Im gonnatry this any day. -My temps are up to 86-88 and I need to run Ice every 3 hours avreage to keep my root zone at 68 degrees. -I figure if I can lower the 88 ambient room temp it'l be easier to keep my root zones cool. -If we have to tho..(If I go insane or have a stroke or somethin) -We'l get the res chiller before I get paid. I just wanted to let everyone know that the fridge cant handle it but Im still experimentin with paralel methods such as a variation of stoned2Deaths ac buket chamber tek and other shit. -Il post my progress.

four20_oem

--I WIN--

--I WIN--

So i pretty much quit the whole car ac project because of how fucking loud the thing was.

PLAN C (its a winner)

alright, today I went to home depot and got that 78 dollar 5500 btu/hour a/c. At first I was just gonna duct the cold air into the flower room. I figured if the whole room was cold the reservoir would be cold too. It made sense. But then I was thinkin Ill just stick my little air pumps (that pump air to the reservoirs) in the duct area(with the cold air from the ac). Perfect huh... I havent got it all wired up yet but by tomorrow itll be done and the fight will be over! no more fucking ice!

Good idea? Bad idea? talk to me -Chris

Einsteinguy

Hey Chris
Don't think air is a good transmiter of cooling or heat for that matter. Don't think you can change res temps more than one or 2 degrees. It should take the same amount of energy used to cool res as it took to heat it up.

Never tried it so let me know if it worked or not .

Einstein

four20_oem

yea yea

yea yea

yea if I was just gonna use the bubblers to cool the res that would definatly only give me -maybe- a degree diff.. but ive got the ac goin full blast into the room when it gets about 86. and the air bubblers come on for 30 secs every 30 mins... when its done tomorrow...

The ac blows cold, the duct area is at 50 degrees F so by the time it gets to the res itlle be like 60 probably.. so I think it should work out well.. but well see tomorrow

four20_oem

Im done

Im done

The water is cold.. no more iceing the ol reservoir! huge step toward a headache free grow area.

everyone with res probs go buy an ac.. <-edit- to get it to acceptable ranges... probably not 68 but a good 78f 79f

I dont have a sensor in the water.. but I know how hot it used to feel and now its cold so thats good enough for me.

Last edited:
-Hey Four20! -I gotcha!! -Excelent idea! -I havent been on this thread to much cause I been batlin my root chamber temps. -Im glad your situation worked out the way it did. -I got an extra a= air c= conditioner (HaHa)and I was thinkin about makin the reef aquarium chiller. -Thing is- I only got another 3 weeks till a large bush that I been groin along with my aero clones matures. -I figure if I been icenem for 3 weeks already I might as well do it for 3 more and get a used reef chiller then. -I think this may b our best bet. -Its an inside room and it would be a bit dificult to a/c. I would actually have to build a heat exchanger on the front of the a/c unit to catch he cold air and duct fron that structre with 2 flex ducts with an in line fan in one of them to circulate the air threw the manifold structure erected in front of the a/c unit. -A bitch aint it?!?! -I thin Im just gonna do this icin joint for another 3 weeks and get my reef chiller then! -Im glad it worked out for you tho.. I got about another 3 weeks to relax! -No problem, -this weeds worth it! -All the best! ~~TF><>'

Einsteinguy

If everyone with res cooling prob could buy a 80 window AC Unit why would people be spending 400 to 800 on a res cooler ?

I thought plants should be at 85 and Res should be at 65 .
Please let me know how you get that from your ac unit. Hell I will go buy one.

Einstein

PS: Please buy a thermometer they don't cost that much. Not sure the "I put my hand in" is a good test.

four20_oem

HA HA

HA HA

yes i will go buy a thermometer.. its a pretty good test though.

uh, and the room temp is 15 degrees cooler during the day, from about 95-100 to 85-89. and yea I guess I cant prove that the res is colder yet. but I will as soon as I go buy a thermometer for the res tanks..

but I can tell you that the water is definatly colder..

I have 5 little air pumps pushing air through the reservoirs, and the air is pumped from about 8 inches from the ac.. so its nice and cold where the air is coming from.

I think im gonna go buy a digital camera and a thermometer tomorrow.. so if Ido yall will get to see the monster ive built over the last 6 months.

This box is seriously out of control.. little time and money and things just seem to happen.

Ill definatly have a thermometer tomorrow. and 68 is pretty cold. the water may not be that cold.. I dont know.. my hand isnt tuned that good.

-

--Hey 420!!! -Far fukin out!!! -Its good to see you postin! -Glad to hear the heat aint beat ya! -Its got me beat up,-but not beat! -Thats what Im doin now! -I go the night shift and my old lady ices durring the day. -We been icin around the clock like this for 4 weeks now. -One of my options is to get a cliller built now but I may wait 2 weeks because I got an organic bush flowerin next to my aero clones and shel be ready then! -The aero clones are a week behind her. -I may get too beat up with all this icing but if I do I'l go and get a chiller made sooner -but so far so good! -I think we could do it for 2 more weeks. -What the fuk!? -We did it for 4 already! -I I do get a chiller made I'l post the results here! -I plan on going to an a/c repair joint with my old a/c and tellin the dude I got a reef aquarium and my fish are dieing from the heat and I'd like him to take my evaporator out of the unit and stick a 20 foot 1/4 copper loop between it and the compressor! -Then I could mount it in the window like a normal a/c but then I could stick the evaporator -remotely- into my fog chamber cooling coils' cooling pool. -Im sure that would do it! -I'l let ya know within a couple of weeks! --~~TF><>' -Peace!