What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Republican McInnis would halt MMJ if elected governor of Colorado

vta

Veteran
medical Colorado -- Republican gubernatorial candidate Scott McInnis, if elected, would ask President Barack Obama to re-examine lenient federal policies on Colorado’s burgeoning medical marijuana industry.

The Obama administration in 2009 ordered federal officials to respect state marijuana statutes when they conflict with federal laws outlawing the drug. The change led to explosive growth in Colorado marijuana businesses, which McInnis said Thursday is cause for concern.

“If I was governor I would call the president and say, ‘What are you doing?’” McInnis said after a Colorado Springs event Thursday.

McInnis was in town to pick up endorsements from the Colorado Springs Police Protective Association, District Attorney Dan May and El Paso County Sheriff Terry Maketa.

McInnis, a former police officer, has burnished his crime fighting image in recent weeks as he battles through a GOP primary with Denver businessman Dan Maes.

McInnis has proposed immigration policies for Colorado similar to those enacted this year in Arizona, where police are now authorized by state law to check the immigration status of suspected undocumented immigrants. Now McInnis is wading into some of the state’s most contentious waters — medical marijuana.

Colorado voters approved marijuana as medical treatment a decade ago by passing Amendment 20. The state General Assembly moved this year to regulate the widespread distribution of the drug with rules modeled on those imposed for liquor stores.

That has troubled many Republicans, including local state lawmakers, who contend that the amendment doesn’t provide for legal marijuana stores.

McInnis said he supports a piece of the new legislation that allows cities and counties to ban marijuana businesses.

In Colorado Springs, where the number of marijuana businesses went from a handful in early 2009 to more than 100 now, a group is pushing a petition drive to get a ban on the ballot.

“The reason it all started is because of Obama,” McInnis said of the rising number of marijuana businesses.

Denver mayor John Hickenlooper, the sole Democrat in the governor’s race, said the new state regulations could alleviate concerns over marijuana businesses.

“John supports the will of Colorado voters to give medicine to sick people and he’s hopeful that recent legislation will empower communities to address the common concerns around dispensaries,” said Hickenlooper spokesman George Merritt.
Click here for the story.

Last edited by a moderator:

GrinStick

C'mon Colorado! rally against this mutherphucker!
Seems legislation is a problem there...remember the adage...those with the gold...

Mr. Bongjangles

Head Brewer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
LOL this dude is living in some kind of dream world where he thinks a Republican governor can:

a. call president Obama for a chat...

b. convince Obama to change his policy on mmj by asking "What are you doing?!"

Interestingly tho, he doesn't say he will actually try to do anything within the state, simply attempt to change Obama's mind on his decision to call the DEA off med states.

Sounds like some silly rhetoric from a typical ex-cop politician trying to look tough on crime/drugs, but not get pinned down to anything specific.

More disturbing is candidate Meg Whitman out in California who insists she will not sign the legalization prop into law assuming she is elected and it passes in November.

What the fuck is with these republicans who refuse to recognize the will of the voters in the states in which they seek to be elected?

I would like to think that if he called the President and asked "What are you doing?", the President would reply "Respecting the Colorado State Constitution, and the will of your constituents, you hack has-been." before hanging up on him.
This has become a fairly big issue for myself and all other MMJ patients and caregivers. You want my vote, and threaten me by calling the feds? Up yours. No vote for you. This will be a prime concern for me this November, and McInnis just put his foot in it with that statement.

twiztidbudsmoke

yah for real just vote for the other guy. obama is my homie, he invested in me so i could start growing again, I dont give a fuck what anyone says about him hes the man.

Duckmang

Actually it's a shit sandwich here in Co when it comes to the Governor's race. On one hand we've got this douche nozzle running and there ain't no good reason to vote for his sorry ass. On the other hand Hickenlooper has spit in the face of cannabis users for the last several years. Since he took office the arrest and prosecutions for marijuana related offenses in Denver has gone up despite the decriminalization measure passed by the voters. He's an alcohol businessman and doesn't give a rats ass about us.

....turd sandwich v/s a giant douche.....

gary20757

What Does everyone expect out of a DUMB ASS conservative republican dick head anyway I would have been surprised if he wouldnt have said what he said :)

David762

Rule of Majority By A Fascist Minority

Rule of Majority By A Fascist Minority

I would like to think that if he called the President and asked "What are you doing?", the President would reply "Respecting the Colorado State Constitution, and the will of your constituents, you hack has-been." before hanging up on him.
This has become a fairly big issue for myself and all other MMJ patients and caregivers. You want my vote, and threaten me by calling the feds? Up yours. No vote for you. This will be a prime concern for me this November, and McInnis just put his foot in it with that statement.

That any politician could run for office on a platform that is in direct conflict with the wishes of the majority expressed by referendum is a perfect example of why EVERY election is important for voters.

We have to win every election -- the fascists need win only one, because it is in their nature to repress, repress, repress ...

NUG-JUG

Poor Colorado Springs people...they have to live next to the Focus on the Family Cult..letem smoke at least damn..

Oh and Scott Mcinnis could easily win here. Colorado's status as a blue state is questionable at best..anyone from here will agree..

Hopefully this former revenue retriever police shill won't get elected...

H

HybridHydro

Ever notice the republicans that squawk the loudest, always end up being foot tapping flamers in mens public restrooms at airports?

T

tokinafaty420

LOL this dude is living in some kind of dream world where he thinks a Republican governor can:

a. call president Obama for a chat...

b. convince Obama to change his policy on mmj by asking "What are you doing?!"

Interestingly tho, he doesn't say he will actually try to do anything within the state, simply attempt to change Obama's mind on his decision to call the DEA off med states.

Sounds like some silly rhetoric from a typical ex-cop politician trying to look tough on crime/drugs, but not get pinned down to anything specific.

More disturbing is candidate Meg Whitman out in California who insists she will not sign the legalization prop into law assuming she is elected and it passes in November.

What the fuck is with these republicans who refuse to recognize the will of the voters in the states in which they seek to be elected?

Their hypocrites preaching about freedom of the individual, but really mean freedom to be like them and only them. They're self-righteous, narcissistic assholes with the "My way or the highway" attitude.

K

kannubis

The reason I got my medical marijuane recommendation was Obama. Nothing against the man personally, except that he won't pledge allegiance to the flag of the country he was elected to be the figurehead of, I just disagree with his platform.

MAN! I dont live in Colorado, worse, i live in VA, but that is a scary story...Dude sounds just like a fucking cop....The laws are in place, and he wants to take it upon himself to change things back to the way it was....WOW...I really hope all these politicians that go against the will of the people LOSE the campaign, just because of this subject. Same goes for the asshole that Mr. Bojangles mentioned from Cali....

This country would be so much better if the politicians would just do their jobs, and SPEAk for the people that elected them....I know, a strange concept in todays American politics.....

Note to politicians on both sides: LET PEOPLE LIVE!

Its very easy...dont worry, you all will still be able to get your precious money...just tax the marijuana, better than us paying court fees. One day i hope VA will realize the truth and change, but for now, im routing the rest of the country on. Good luck to all 14 states, and even more luck the other 36 that are still in the dark..... maybe some day soon........Hopefully!

Once these politicians see that if they take this stance they WONT get elected it will change. VOTE PEOPLE!!!

This is the biggest thing...We ALL have to vote these days, especially an election as important as this one is....PEOPLE OF COLORADO and everywhere else, VOTE!

I really hope this asshole does not win office...sounds like a fucking Nazi piece of shit.

Their hypocrites preaching about freedom of the individual, but really mean freedom to be like them and only them. They're self-righteous, narcissistic assholes with the "My way or the highway" attitude.

I couldn't have said it better......Spot on!

This story really is a bunch of bullshit....Someone should post this assholes email address, so we can all write him and tell him how much we do NOT approve of his "idea" or plan. I live in VA, but that would not stop me from sending him a few emails.