What's new

Replacing Fluorescent Bulbs with Same Size LED's

St. Phatty

This is more of a Garage lighting question, but I figured you guys might know.

Are these 48 inch LED replacement for fluorescent - which supposedly work off the fluorescent power supply - a good deal ? i.e. Do they work good ?

https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/207589/TCP-10142.html

attachment.php

Seems like a good way to go.

Has anybody else replaced 4 foot fluoro bulbs with the LED lights that supposedly work off the same fluorescent power supply ?

Hopefully the LED replacement has a plastic tube so you don't have to deal with glass tubes. ICK when those break.

Attachments

• LED.jpg
    LED.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 31

Ringodoggie

Premium user
I screwed one of those [maybe not that exact one] into my existing fixture and it went pop! I took it back.

One guy at the store told me it would work in any fixture. Another guy said, only a certain kind of fixture. A third said, any fixture but you need to cut the wires from the old transformer.

I said, fuck it and I tossed the fixture in the trash and bought a nice 3 foot LED. I totally love it in my shop. So bright. I have another over my lab bench in my room where I do my extractions, pressing, sifting, etc.

I love LED [for everyday use]. It seems most don't. My wife hates them. Switcher doesn't. I love that super white, super bright light. Albeit, my old ass fucking cataract eyes need all the light they can get just to see. LOL

Im'One

I was wondering about that as well. I have a large number of 48 inch florescent fixtures already wired in i could move to a grow room in the corner. I cannot seem to find any information on changing to leds.

kava

Hey, well there is a couple kinds of replacement lights like those but you have to read them to see what they need. One of these takes voltage straight to the bulb and the other runs off of the old ballast in the fixture. The bulb should be marked on it so that you dont put it in the wrong spot. The new fixture will have stickers warning you which bulbs you can use. I have been retrofitting old fixtures (must mark fixture when done) and installing new fixtures which are already marked (line voltage at bulb tips ).

Im'One

Hey, well there is a couple kinds of replacement lights like those but you have to read them to see what they need. One of these takes voltage straight to the bulb and the other runs off of the old ballast in the fixture. The bulb should be marked on it so that you dont put it in the wrong spot. The new fixture will have stickers warning you which bulbs you can use. I have been retrofitting old fixtures (must mark fixture when done) and installing new fixtures which are already marked (line voltage at bulb tips ).
Thanks!

Latest posts

Latest posts